Author Topic: NOAA WEATHER RADIO  (Read 149969 times)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: NOAA WEATHER RADIO
« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2017, 08:01:49 PM »
I added the raw WU .htm page and extraction script to the .zip (just thought you may want to amend the script if needed).

Thanks Ken!  I'll see if I can reach out to the others here in Ohio.  I think at least one of them is already on the new server.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2017, 09:18:50 PM »
Currently feeding WXL57 Des Moines to wxradio.dyndns.org:8000/NWR/Des_Moines.mp3 Not really sure what else I need to do. Please advise.
Thanks, Nick
All Right ! 
You're on the page:  http://noaaweatherradio.org
Welcome! Good Stream!

Mike

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
    • Clifton Virginia Weather
« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2017, 10:18:03 PM »
Well I thought I would try something and see if it works.  Nothing in here is proprietary, at least I don't think so....  Just another player, it has the streams on the wxradio site, I can put others on as well.  Still need to finish converting it all to html5 so it doesn't quite validate yet.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  Here is the link:  http://cliftonvaweather.com/wxnoaaradio.php.

Fire away......

Bob
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:20:12 PM by satcop »
Clifton, Virginia Weather

Blitzortung Stations 1189, 1451 - CWOP EW1675

• Forecaster
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2017, 11:05:36 PM »
whew...
Up to 38 on the site... http://noaaweatherradio.org
CHRIS has claimed a number of stray sheep from the WU flock, and hopefully I've no glaring errors in the entries on the site...

Many of the additions do NOT have website credits, and I know a lot should, but the info simply isn't in the data at Chris' Ice Cast.//
So, if you should need to be there, or your stream updated, give me a PM... you're on it as per Chris' data.

If you're not pointed to the dyndns server, and using a server ypu can't point, PM or Email me with your info, Transmitter Name, location, freq, call letters, your website   and most importantly, an MP3 link to your stream locally.

More stuff coming on the site, as we see what's cool, and can make things work.... soon as the rush is over we'll be doin a few things, and try to get some of the stuff we're tryin' into a package or whatever might be appropriate....

Mike

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2017, 11:42:04 PM »
I think I successfully got a note through to the two other Ohio guys that were not listed yet via twitter and a personal blog.  I also sent out a link (http://noaaweatherradio.org/) on my weather station Twitter account to my 300 followers there and my weather station Facebook account to my 5000 followers there.  That ought to bring some activity next round of severe weather.   ;)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2017, 12:22:56 AM »
Awesome job to everyone involved. I am so glad to of link up with such a great group of dedicated weather professionals. Together we will build something much better than the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2017, 01:22:56 AM »
It appears there is an issue with the Fort Myers FL stream.

• Forecaster
« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2017, 09:16:39 AM »
Yes.
that's (another) Chris, at Cape Weather, .. I think he's on a scanner, and may not be aware... He's probably on vacation up near arctic circle ...
 :twisted: I think that's where Floridians go in the summer...

Seriously.. couple of things.. regardless of transmitter reception issues or quality...
the volume level of the stations listed is sort of all over the place...
if everybody averaged their volume at 0 to -6 db on any source 'meter' that would be cool
and
split any mono single channel receiver outputs into 'stereo' L + R , (both channels equal),  or output as 'mono'  L=R so 'both' speakers balance out on user end...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:18:33 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2017, 10:12:26 AM »
Hi Folks,

Think I have everyone updated on the map. Everyone please check your information there, to make sure I inputted it correctly.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2017, 10:13:16 AM »

I created a script that checks for when my weather stream is down, I run it on one of my Linode linux boxes (you could also run it on a Raspberry Pi) but maybe it could be ported to Windows.  First I had to set up linux to be a relay to Google (https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/configure-postfix-to-use-gmail-as-a-mail-relay/) then I created this script:

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash

#url="http://audioplayer.wunderground.com"
url="http://www.urberg.net:8000"

status_code=$(curl -v --silent $url 2>&1 | grep tim273/edina)
date=`date`

if [ "$status_code" == "" ]
then
        #echo "The weather radio is down at $date" >> /var/log/status_check.log
        mail -s "Weather Radio is Down" my.email@gmail.com <<< "The weather radio is down at $date."
fi

And then I set it up on a cron to run every 15 minutes:

Code: [Select]
tim@ubuntu:~$ crontab -e

GNU nano 2.5.3        File: /tmp/crontab.1GNfT8/crontab

*/15 * * * * /home/tim/check-weather-radio

[ Read 1 line ]
^G Get Help  ^O Write Out ^W Where Is  ^K Cut Text  ^J Justify   ^C Cur Pos
^X Exit      ^R Read File ^\ Replace   ^U Uncut Text^T To Spell  ^_ Go To Line

So that alerts me if my weather radio stream is down.  I had been using it when I was streaming to WU and it would notify me if there was an issue.  Sometimes I would have to restart it on my side, and sometimes it was WU's Icecast server being down, which I couldn't control.  When they went down last month I got a bizillion emails, so I had to disable it and then turned it back on with mine.  Anyway, just thought I'd share.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:18:46 AM by tim273 »

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2017, 11:34:25 AM »
Well I think I got everyone, if I missed somebody please let me know.  There were a couple of dead links in setting this up.  I suspect that in some cases there was a change in the url for the source.  The code also checks out under html5 validation.   Further enhancements planned.  Also need to figure out what to do with Canadian stations, not sure if they have any maps of coverage area for their transmitters, can anyone help on that one?  Here is the link https://cliftonvaweather.com/wxnoaaradio.php.  Obviously as changes come in and we add sites will need to make adjustments, expect quite a few over the short term.

Bob

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2017, 12:44:02 PM »
Cool page, Bob!!!!  Think I have 39 feeds on the map now. Has anyone other than Chris sent emails to those that have one from WU regarding our project?  I have thought about it, but didn't want to duplicate the work and annoy anyone.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2017, 01:24:48 PM »
Thanks John, when things settle out and I finish this up a bit more, I would like to offer it, if folks desire, to "members" that supply feeds for the group.  The default site on load is adjustable for each site.  I use Ken's template but I don't see why it shouldn't be able to run on others or could be adapted.  Issue is updates, need to work that one.  I am also open to suggestions on additions/subtractions etc.

Bob

Offline phillipdampier

« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2017, 02:14:58 PM »
Effective today, RadioReference/Broadcastify has rescinded its ban on NOAA Weather Radio services and now supports hosting them. I have added a second feed to Broadcastify which will run in tandem with the feed listed on noaaweatherradio.org. http://forums.radioreference.com/broadcastify-live-audio-administration/347854-noaa-weather-radio.html#post2723075

Details on hosting on RadioReference/Broadcastify: https://broadcastify.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204740055-Becoming-a-Feed-Provider

They have not yet removed the language from the application form banning weather radio services, but they are now being accepted. You download a client and configure the feed through your account on RadioReference/Broadcastify. It took me about 10 minutes to set up. They have to authorize your stream before it will run -- that took another 10 minutes this morning.

Broadcastify has a HUGE platform of listeners -- usually between 25,000-30,000 listening at the same time. As a feed provider, you get free Premium access, which includes audio archives of all feeds.

Offline phillipdampier

« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2017, 02:26:49 PM »
Well I think I got everyone, if I missed somebody please let me know.  There were a couple of dead links in setting this up.  I suspect that in some cases there was a change in the url for the source.  The code also checks out under html5 validation.   Further enhancements planned.  Also need to figure out what to do with Canadian stations, not sure if they have any maps of coverage area for their transmitters, can anyone help on that one?  Here is the link https://cliftonvaweather.com/wxnoaaradio.php.  Obviously as changes come in and we add sites will need to make adjustments, expect quite a few over the short term.

Bob

Environment Canada doesn't publish readily accessible coverage maps. They state coverage is up to 60km from the transmitter site. Here is the station list, but it omits call letters: http://www.ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.asp?lang=En&n=8830FA44-1

Their logo is below:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

• Forecaster
« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2017, 03:10:49 PM »
 #-o Sheesh... we may be getting at cross purposes, here...
We need to decide if we're going to, as a community, do our thing, or feed and hit all various providers. What we do as individuals is ok, and fine...
but as a community, what?

I'm not going to 'chase' feeds everywhere to try to bring 'em into one accessible, non commercial, weather radio oriented site, which will eventually have other Weather Radio focused features, for any of us to grab onto ... and I learned my lesson through WU, thank you. I suspect a few folks working on concepts and features around this scenario (Bob, John, et.al.) feel the same. I personally am NOT going to  transmit multiple streams to multiple places, especially any commercial providers, or promote them with One very general Exception... 

We have a phone app developer "Friend" named Chris, who offered us his IceCast, and commits to expanding to VPS or whatever is required in the future to fill needs. This enables flexibility for each of us, anonymous 'donor' connection,etc, and his only 'gain' is enhancing his phone apps with another bunch of feeds...and costs us nothing.  He approached us.  We didn't have to convince him to change any policies, or create an involved sign-up with restrictions, etc. At first ,I was a bit leery, but became sold on the idea. He's put a lot of time and effort into reclaiming WU's lost sheep... and didn't desire any credit on the site, but I insisted on that.

So, it's decide what the community does, or wants. If we're going multiple focus, I have a domain for sale. Cheap.

And if continuing to promote other alternatives to the original premise of this thread, I'd suggest starting other threads.
Mike
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 03:31:19 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline codegod

• Software Developer
    • Crushed Box Software
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2017, 05:14:52 PM »
#-o Sheesh... we may be getting at cross purposes, here...
We need to decide if we're going to, as a community, do our thing, or feed and hit all various providers. What we do as individuals is ok, and fine...
but as a community, what?

I'm not going to 'chase' feeds everywhere to try to bring 'em into one accessible, non commercial, weather radio oriented site, which will eventually have other Weather Radio focused features, for any of us to grab onto ... and I learned my lesson through WU, thank you. I suspect a few folks working on concepts and features around this scenario (Bob, John, et.al.) feel the same. I personally am NOT going to  transmit multiple streams to multiple places, especially any commercial providers, or promote them with One very general Exception... 

We have a phone app developer "Friend" named Chris, who offered us his IceCast, and commits to expanding to VPS or whatever is required in the future to fill needs. This enables flexibility for each of us, anonymous 'donor' connection,etc, and his only 'gain' is enhancing his phone apps with another bunch of feeds...and costs us nothing.  He approached us.  We didn't have to convince him to change any policies, or create an involved sign-up with restrictions, etc. At first ,I was a bit leery, but became sold on the idea. He's put a lot of time and effort into reclaiming WU's lost sheep... and didn't desire any credit on the site, but I insisted on that.

So, it's decide what the community does, or wants. If we're going multiple focus, I have a domain for sale. Cheap.

And if continuing to promote other alternatives to the original premise of this thread, I'd suggest starting other threads.
Mike

Mike, well said. We should all focus on 1 central location as to not have everything scattered all over the place. This would also hold true for bringing all the old WU streamers and folks out there looking to host a new stream to our community. We should be promoting 1 community under noaaweatherradio.org and hosting streams either through my icecast server or from their own website etc and into noaaweatherradio.org Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2017, 09:42:03 PM »
John, just a heads-up but when I click on the link for your map I get a '403 - Permission Denied' error. 
Hi Folks,

Think I have everyone updated on the map. Everyone please check your information there, to make sure I inputted it correctly.

John
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2017, 06:13:48 AM »
John, just a heads-up but when I click on the link for your map I get a '403 - Permission Denied' error. 
Hi Folks,

John

Hi Kevin,

I'm not sure why you're getting a 403. I've checked my .htaccess and your IP range from Cox Communications is not on my list at all.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2017, 07:18:36 AM »
Hi Folks,

We may very see our first true test of our new radio setup here on Tuesday, based on the current forecasts. Could be interesting.

Chris, is there a way to see how many listeners we have at any one time? I guess I'm thinking like what WU had and RadioReference does have.

FYI - I am looking at re-doing the map using Googlemap. Just have to learn how.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2017, 08:28:32 AM »

Hi Kevin,

I'm not sure why you're getting a 403. I've checked my .htaccess and your IP range from Cox Communications is not on my list at all.

John
[/quote]
I'm not sure either, but here is a screen capture of how things look on my end when I try to open the link.
EDIT: OK that came out a bit larger than I had intended.
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2017, 08:36:49 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Please try again. I've added that entire IP Range to my allow list.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #172 on: February 27, 2017, 10:46:28 AM »

Hi Kevin,

John
I'm not sure either, but here is a screen capture of how things look on my end when I try to open the link.
EDIT: OK that came out a bit larger than I had intended.
[/quote]

Hi Kevin,

I've added both the entire IP range and your specific IP into my allowed list in my .htaccess hoping that will work.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline 44085weather

• 44085weather.com
« Reply #173 on: February 27, 2017, 04:06:20 PM »

Please use the following to get your stream uploading and playing (Broadwave, Icecast, Edcast, etc.). Chris of Crushed Box Software has graciously volunteered to upgrade a server to accommodate us who wish to broadcast.

Change Server IP to: wxradio.dyndns.org
Use Encoder Password: WxRadio2014

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

John

Between Icecast or Broadwave which would you recommend that uses the least resources - network and CPU wise.?

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2017, 04:13:25 PM »
Hi,

I'm unable to say which one would use the least resources. I'm using EdCast on an Intel Atom CPU based box, without any issues. This machine runs Windows 7 Pro, with Avast A/V, and Cumulus MX at the same time.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus