Author Topic: Set default station on mobile or ignore a station?  (Read 2684 times)

Offline nobueno

Set default station on mobile or ignore a station?
« on: June 01, 2018, 09:18:16 AM »
There is a station that my phone always defaults to when I'm at home. It is the least accurate (always off by at least 8 degrees sometimes as much as 20) one in the area and not even the closest one to my house. Is there a way I can set a default station or ignore the inaccurate one by default?

Offline The Weather Master

Re: Set default station on mobile or ignore a station?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 10:03:44 AM »
Good Morning nobueno,
there is a way to ignore the temperature data from the default station from your area
One of the most common reasons why it is reading higher than usual is
that it might be in direct sunlight throughout most of the day, or it might
not be in an effective radiation shield, or it might be located near external heat sources,
such as concrete, asphalt, A/C Units, dark fences, dark surfaces, etc.
My advice is to go with another nearby weather station that is more accurate and reliable.
Usually ones that get proper ventilation and have effective radiation shields like the Davis Vantage Pro2, the Davis Vantage Vue, and the Ambient Weather WS-1000s series, just to name a few. For a while i had this same problem with my La Crosse Weather Station reading to high of Temperature.
That was because i did not have the sensor sighted properly. After relocating it and trying some different things,
I than upgraded to the Davis Vantage Pro2 6152. Ever since the Upgrade, my temperature
readings have been accurate enough to meet CWOP Standards. The main unit is located in an open Grassy area 5 feet off the ground. I have seen multiple other weather stations with higher than usual Temperature readings.
And i have to say that is quite common, especially in highly populated areas. :-(
I hope this helps for you to solve your problem. Also, welcome to the WxFourm Community!  =D>  \:D/
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:23:31 AM by The Weather Master »
HARDWARE
Davis Vantage Pro2 6152 with Spiked Aerocone and Solar Radiation Sensor
Wx Station Software:
Weather Display 10.37
Wundercam Hardware:
Logitech C600
Wundercam Software:
Kabcam

Offline Pungh0Li0

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 02:12:51 PM »
Sorry to bump an old thread but:
I have exactly the same issue as the OP and you say you know the answer but don't tell us what it is.

How do you set a default station or ignore a bad one in the Android app?

I've been searching all over and it drives me nuts that I always get a nearby station that's 20 degrees off. I disabled GPS access and that helped but caused other issues. There's not even a way to report the station. It ruins the app for me.

Please, help.
Thanks, Joe

Offline PaulHutch

• Paul Hutchinson's web site
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 03:48:03 PM »
As far as I know there is no way to set a preferred station or ignore specific stations in the Android and iPad apps.  :-(

The workaround I use is to mark specific stations as favorites and then manually select the station I want to see.

To add a favorite in the Android app. Find and display a station you want to be a favorite, open the hamburger menu then select the star next to the station in the list to make it a favorite.

Offline Pungh0Li0

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 03:50:04 PM »
That's what I was afraid of. I used to really like this app but it just seems to be going downhill.

Thanks

Offline The Weather Master

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 03:57:23 PM »
To answer your question you can add a weather station to favorites on the android app. It is a fairly easy thing to do. Here is how to do it. [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  I hope this helps! ;)
HARDWARE
Davis Vantage Pro2 6152 with Spiked Aerocone and Solar Radiation Sensor
Wx Station Software:
Weather Display 10.37
Wundercam Hardware:
Logitech C600
Wundercam Software:
Kabcam

Offline Pungh0Li0

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 04:02:51 PM »
I know how to add favorites. I have several. That does not answer the question.
I already go thru the routine of waiting for the app to load... pull down favorites... then wait for it to load again. That's a pain and if you pay for your data it's a waste.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 06:29:02 PM by Pungh0Li0 »

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 09:10:18 PM »
I don't know if you can set a location but I have found that the app opens to the first Favorite on my list which is my home PWS. Not the "Nearest to me" location which is actually labeled the town next to me instead of the PWS in my back yard. Checking further it seems to re-open at the last selected favorite when it was closed. Have you checked that out? If that doesn't work for you I don't know what else to try except trying to submit a ticket with WU/TWC/IBM Support.

Android 7.1.1 using WU 5.10.0
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 09:59:30 PM »
Back again, I found this under Settings / Status Bar / Location. I don't remember ever changing anything here but it might help.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline Pungh0Li0

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 10:04:17 PM »
I changed that earlier today and it seems to be behaving more like you describe now. We'll see if it keeps behaving.
[edit:  hmm, just checked and it says "Widget Location was Removed". I'm not going to touch it.]
[edit2:  well now the status bar says that too. Was working before I looked at it. I'll set it again and see what happens]

Thanks, Joe
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:08:30 PM by Pungh0Li0 »

Offline bvstation

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 11:35:23 PM »
I'd love for them to make it so I can set a default station - such as my own.
If I locate my own it doesn't even give the right data or name which is stupid. Their system is so out of whack right now it isn't even funny.

Offline PaulHutch

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 08:48:09 AM »
For status bar location all I get for options are cities/states it won't let me choose a specific station and it only affects the status bar display. The widget and main app still show what the app thinks is the closest station to me even when it isn't closest unless I manually choose a station.

Offline longmire

• Contributor
  • WD (latest) GRL3_2 WF TWI WR-25e Win10Pro
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 03:23:17 PM »
+1 - even though my PWS has been online for more than 10 years - giving WU all it's QA checked data for free - i CANNOT get my iPhone to select MY PWS because WU is hell bent on selecting a new home built station located two blocks away that has been intermittently online for 10 months. The sensors for that station are set up in the least possible ideal locations on the property, yet WU continues to prefer it, as that station's owner chose the same station name for his setup as mine. I can't even add a comment on my own station anymore to indicate that mine was the original location. Where are the ladies from Hidden Faces to come help us with the HAL 9000 punch cards to fix this!

Offline bvstation

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 04:27:36 PM »
+1 - even though my PWS has been online for more than 10 years - giving WU all it's QA checked data for free - i CANNOT get my iPhone to select MY PWS because WU is hell bent on selecting a new home built station located two blocks away that has been intermittently online for 10 months. The sensors for that station are set up in the least possible ideal locations on the property, yet WU continues to prefer it, as that station's owner chose the same station name for his setup as mine. I can't even add a comment on my own station anymore to indicate that mine was the original location. Where are the ladies from Hidden Faces to come help us with the HAL 9000 punch cards to fix this!

That is just crazy.... same way here. New station up half mile away and is always broadcasting higher than normal temps.
I can't manually select mine, gives wrong name and everything I have no idea what the deal is and you can't tell anyone! They have no support.

Offline PaulHutch

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 07:31:06 PM »
I don't have an iPhone so maybe that app is missing the favorites feature, but on Android you can put in the alpha-numeric code for your station and it opens, then you can mark it as a favorite to get back to it easily. The iPad app always opens up to the last station you were viewing.