Author Topic: Mounting Question  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
Mounting Question
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:26:10 AM »
I have both of my 5 in 1 stations mounted to galvanized poles. I'm using screws to hold the unit tight with the pole. It seems to be a solid mount. However, I'm wondering how they will hold up in the event of high winds. How has everyone else mounted there's to metal poles? Have you drilled out the pole so the screws can have something to bite into?
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Re: Mounting Question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 09:38:43 AM »
I had to find a installation page to figure out how this unit mounts.  It appears that the unit has a female hole in the bottom/side of it that slides down on an appropriate sized pipe and that two screws are used to tighten the mount to the pipe in a "set screw" action where the screws hold tension between the mount and the pipe.  I would think that these two screws are of an appropriate length to slightly bite into the pipe but yet short enough to bottom-out before causing any deformity of the mount or stripping of the threads in the screw holes.  If you were to drill holes for the screws to screw in to it would seem you would need longer screws.  I would make sure and screw these longer screws in and out a few times prior to mounting the unit.  This will preform threads in the screw-holes and make the screws screw in easier without possibly putting undue pressure on the wall of the mount which might deform it.  So sure, you could drill the holes out.  Or, you could drill only a dimple into the pipe to give the points of the existing screws a slight "lock"...would take much of a dimple.

I may have the mounting procedure all wrong so maybe someone will correct me and give you better pointers if I am wrong.  Something tells me, though, that the current configuration of a tension-type of mount (screwing the screws against the pipe) is sufficient.

Best wishes,
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 01:07:24 PM »
Thanks Ed! I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like it should be fine the way I have it. I've actually installed a second screw on each station just to be safe.

The OEM mount that comes with the station is plastic and I'm sure the screw can bite into that a bit.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:59:41 PM »
What I did was I marked the holes with a fine point sharpie with the sensor installed, removed sensor, drilled holes, installed sensor, secured with self tapping machine screws with a very light torque, it's plastic ya know.............

Edit to add, I used a drill press with the pole in a "V" Block.............
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:01:48 PM by benay ra'am »

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 12:56:08 PM »
That's a good idea! Thanks for sharing.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

anything