Author Topic: Lightning Sensor Placement?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline ctcadman

Lightning Sensor Placement?
« on: June 02, 2017, 09:05:15 PM »
I was wondering where I should place the sensor outside.. on a deck or under a covered porch because I don't want it to get wet.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Lightning Sensor Placement?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 09:09:03 AM »
The guide says 4 to 8 feet above the ground with permanent shade and plenty of fresh air to circulate around the sensor.

I bought a solar shield from AcuRite that fits the model 06045M lighting detector.
https://www.acurite.com/solar-radiation-shield.html

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 10:32:04 AM »
Mine has performed adequately for detecting incoming storms hanging vertically indoors, from a hook up high on my living room wall.

I've been tinkering with an AS3935 sensor board as a side project, and its sensitivity and detection range seems to be direction-specific.  From looking at pictures of the innards of the Acu-Rite sensor, my $0.02 is to place it with the LED's facing the direction where the bulk of your t-storms come from.  In this area, LED's facing WNW is detecting storms with the sensor indoors before I can even hear the thunder outside.  (I bought the outdoor Acu-Rite lightning sensor from their replacement parts site and not part of a complete package, so I don't have the console to see the actual distance or strike count that it is reporting.)

Oh, and I actually did an outdoor test with an AS3935 stashed in that Acu-Rite solar radiation shield on Wednesday evening.  Being inside the shield did not appear to have any noticeable impact on detection sensitivity.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 12:49:26 PM »
The acurite rad shield is the best choice to house the sensor, or one that is larger. If you use the acurite, you can put a fan under it easily, and that keeps the temps from spiking and makes the sensor really accurate.