Author Topic: Amazon Alexa / Echo: Get Alexa to read your personal weather station.  (Read 3292 times)

Offline kevink619

• My G+
I'm currently conducting a beta test of my new Amazon Alexa skill "Personal Weather - Weather Underground PWS".

If you wish to be part of the beta test, please send me a message with the email address associated with your Alexa device.

Finally, an Alexa skill that pulls the data from your personal weather station via Weather Underground.

Reports current conditions including temperature, humidity, wind speed, wind direction, pressure, rain in the past hour, rain in the past day, and much more. You can ask for all conditions or just a specific condition.

http://kevin-key.blogspot.ca/2017/05/amazon-alexa-skill-beta-test-connect.html

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
Alexa recognized my key...

But said Weather Underground did not find my station ID which I correctly entered 10 times.

Offline kevink619

• My G+
Hi,

What's your station ID, if you don't mind me asking?

Kevin

But said Weather Underground did not find my station ID which I correctly entered 10 times.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
Hi,

What's your station ID, if you don't mind me asking?

Kevin

KTXHIGHL10

Offline kevink619

• My G+
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone that is using my PWS skill for Alexa.

Coming soon: a better way to enter the station ID. I'm working on an enhancement that will allow one to pick from a list of stations based on ZIP Code. The skill will make use of your Echo's postal code and give you a list of stations to pick from. This will be an alternate way of specifying your Station ID vs. the sometimes frustrating task of getting Alexa to recognize the letters in your Station ID. Stay tuned...

Kevin

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
It's a nice Alexa skill.  It works great once you get her to accept the station ID.

In the future, she should be able to read the data without the annoying "ask (someone) to read the current conditions"etc .  My station should be the default weather and I should be able to say, "Alexa, say the current weather conditions".

Im a little disappointed at the snail pace of improvements to Alexa since she has been available.  Amazon and Google have armies of techies sitting in cubicles all day, but Alexa "still doesn't quite understand" what I am trying to ask most of the time.  And you have to say it exactly right.

anything