Author Topic: New ferrite antenna for System Blue  (Read 1337 times)

Offline NE5U

• Random Pixel Generator
    • Wild Light Imaging
New ferrite antenna for System Blue
« on: March 31, 2017, 07:13:36 PM »
My System Blue is assembled and has been tested. I started assembling my two ferrite antenna's today. Before I glue everything up and make it weathertight I thought I would put the antenna here and see if there is a problem with what I've done.

All 3/4" PVC. The vertical and horizontal ports on the tee have a piece of 3/4" pipe installed as a bushing. I wrapped the ferrite rods with electrical tape (blue of course) just to the point where they resist being inserted into the bushing. I will either use 5 minute epoxy or RTV on the transition between the rods, tape, and PVC.

The lower section contains an F style union. It's too short to use a nut so I am considering epoxying it to the plug that I drilled out (letter U drill size) to accept the F style connector. This is the least favorite area of the build for the following reasons:

(1) It seems like the amplifier should be on the antenna end. That's easily done with some larger PVC and a bushing. Thoughts?
(2) Instead of using a bushing perhaps I should us a union so I can get to the board for service?

Thoughts??

NE5U

Being a parent IS rocket science only the design computer is a roulette wheel and fate spins it like it wants to. You never really know what the rocket is going to do when you let it go... Me 2016

“I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks”
- Daniel Boone