Author Topic: WU ending free subscriptions for PWS contributors?!?!?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
WU ending free subscriptions for PWS contributors?!?!?
« on: March 04, 2017, 12:50:07 PM »
From the latest WU iOS "Storm" app a few minutes ago:

Notice that today is March 4th, and they are claiming that my ad-free time on my account ends on February 26th (of next year)...and how this date in 2017 was about when they announced the elimination of several other services.

I never paid attention to the frequency of WU updating free memberships in the past, but I certainly hope that this isn't a sign of things to come because I'll certainly be telling them where to shove their gold star if they do start charging PWS contributors for an ad-free experience!!!!!
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: WU ending free subscriptions for PWS contributors?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »
Oh, it also points out that I was apparently paying member #432.  Anyone have a lower number?????

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 12:56:14 PM »
Proves my theory of WU's slow death...

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 01:01:22 PM »
I Can't find that info anywhere on wu website.
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 01:16:12 PM »
from the settings menu of my WU app it says that my ads free will expire on dec 9 2017. I just thought when that time comes I will just get rid of the app on my phone. I don't use it much anyway. its on there because of the no ads

Anthony

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 01:28:22 PM »
on my account on WU computer

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 01:49:52 PM »
Does this apply just to the referenced "app" or is it for the entire site? I may do with WU what I did with AWEKAS if they pull this for the normal web site. I may go "WU Free" (with a nod to Cutty).....

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 02:30:54 PM »
Or just use AdBlock, I have been using it for over 3 yrs now and surfing the internet on a computer where it is not installed is always such a shock...

I understand ads are a source of income for the websites and I have several exceptions added to my AdBlock, so if I want to support a site, I make an exception for it and I see the ads (and just ignore them...). But when there is flashing banners all over the place, or even worse, popups, automatically playing videos etc. I block everything.

However, in this case I would probably stop sending data to WU too, Adblock solves the ad issue, but what they do and where that site is heading is not something I want to support. (though unfortunately some people still like it, some of them being Meteotemplate users so I have to work with that page even if I dont want to send data myself)

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 03:39:15 PM »
Does this apply just to the referenced "app" or is it for the entire site? I may do with WU what I did with AWEKAS if they pull this for the normal web site.

I did a little bit of digging, and think that I figured out what is going on after reading recent reviews in the app store.  WU purchased this app from another company a few years back, and the app was selling ad-free subscriptions through Apple's in-app purchases and not WU.  They discontinued the *in-app* ad-free sales for this app with an update at the end of February, and apparently added WU logins (that I don't recall being supported in the past) as the only option to remove ads.  (I imagine that Apple takes a hefty chunk of the subscription revenue for processing the payments, which is why they changed over to their own subscription system without a clear explanation to the users.)

Anyway, since my WU account expiration date is not unusual in being less than a year, I'm going to lock this thread and apologize for the sky not falling.....  #-o