Author Topic: Was ready to buy first ws, now waiting for Atlas line--  (Read 7692 times)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: Was ready to buy first ws, now waiting for Atlas line--
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2017, 12:40:50 AM »
My Dad used to say "Never buy the first model year of ANYTHING!".  He was right.
I agree. Although, as with anything being sold there's always a first buyer. Somebody has to take that chance. If the price is right I might be willing to take the risk. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Still time for me to change my mind.

One thing you have to think about is where you are  above sea level.  Are you low like on the coast or High like in Denver and mountainous area.  Davis  products have very little problems where it is warm or low elevations.  The problem with barometer is after you start getting up in elevation . Most of Davis problem with barometer is high elevation  stations. Here where is gets extremely cold the  barometer reading go out the window also just due to cold dense air. shows up every fall and last till every spring  when the  valleys equal with  stations that are  at different elevations.
  I had an Accurite unit that didn't even make it  thru an Alaskan winter and they refuse to repair it even tho it was only 6 months old. That learning barometer was so far off as winter progress it was absolute joke. My OS WMR 2000 was spot on within  couple mB of an station 25 miles away.

John
Here in north Texas, while we don't have the salty corrosive coastal environment nor the bitter cold of Alaska, we do have the severe weather so I guess the life expectancy of the equipment is dependent on when the next bad storm hits.

The spot I plan on locating the sensor unit is in the veggie garden where I currently have an Excelvan weather station set up. The Atlas 8 would be mostly used to monitor the conditions in the garden rather than for professional weather monitoring. For that I'll rely on my Davis Vantage Pro2+.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2017, 10:08:14 AM »
For me price, and warranty will be the deciding factor. I also want to see the equipment working live online and how it compares to other known products of good standing before I take a chance. If this just has a 1 yr warranty, for a much higher price than a 5n1, I might not want to take a risk like that.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2017, 10:13:12 AM »
Scalphunter-- I thought the barometer was integrated with the inside temp module. Why should the cold outside air affect an indoor barometer reading? (Or was your Acurite model of a different type configuration)? Sorry to hear about your problems with the company. That concerns me as I am thinking about an Acurite when the new line comes out.

Skywatch-- If and when you get an Atlas Elite it would be quite informative to get your feedback regarding the comparison between it and your Davis VP2.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2017, 12:05:03 PM »
Maybe if we're lucky, Acu-rite will scout this forum for beta testers. Of course that's just wishful thinking.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2017, 02:39:49 PM »
Cold air is dense  as it sinks into the valleys here the closer molecule  pack it weigh more. When was the last time you ever seen an Barometer  over 31 in/hg. My highest reading this winter was 31.20 in/hg. Eilson  25 miles away and 200 ft lower was hitting even higher reading . Luckly it didn't last long. 1989 the same cold spell that gave Valentine it record cold  had ever air port here but one on VFR flight rules. Now that learning  barometer that was taught  itself in August just  went wacko  cause of the denser air. Went temperature reach 40-50 below unless you experience you don't believe what it does to everyday happening. Sounds that you never hear  are carried better, Hot water tossed in the air never reaches the ground, I know you watched that. composite material  warps.  Even tho barometer is inside that same air in the house has to equalize so hence the barometer that don't compensate well goes array in readings. Oh I forgot the best example, you know those nice round tires on your car that gives you an smooth ride. Here at 40 and 50 below that turn into  something out of fred flintstone until about 10 miles down the road they heat up enough to flex out to give you an smooth ride.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2017, 03:18:48 PM »
For me price, and warranty will be the deciding factor. I also want to see the equipment working live online and how it compares to other known products of good standing before I take a chance. If this just has a 1 yr warranty, for a much higher price than a 5n1, I might not want to take a risk like that.
I agree. I wish Acurite would publish the expected pricing so I could know whether to continue waiting or move on to something else.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline SmittythePirate

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »
Maybe if we're lucky, Acu-rite will scout this forum for beta testers. Of course that's just wishful thinking.

I did manage to find a link that you could sign up to be a beta tester. 

https://www.acurite.com/learn/community/product-testing-panel?_ga=1.122430274.852559020.1465306979

Unfortunately you may never be selected...

Offline seamonkeys1

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2017, 05:12:59 PM »
Any word yet on a release date for the Atlas line?

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2017, 07:32:03 PM »
Beginning to look more and more like phantomware to me. In their user forum, whenever a question is asked they basically just say "No additional information available at this time". Still no price list, release date, preorder mechanism, user guides, screen shots, etc. I have pretty much lost interest.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 07:37:29 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2017, 07:44:12 PM »

Are they having problems getting the system to the standards they said it would attain when they released the specs?
Are there problems with Chinese manufacturer?
Are there problems with new software?

Come on Acurite-- you need to give us a meaningful update!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »
No more information has been available for several weeks. I really believe they ran some beta tests and things may not have gone as well as anticipated in those real world installations.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2017, 10:23:39 PM »
OK, this is just getting silly.

The speculations of DoctorKnow (and some others) are completely without merit, both as to my "silence" and what might be going on at Acurite.

I haven't been posting much anywhere because of health reasons.  Over the holidays last year I lost the ability to walk normally.  A cancerous tumor was found and removed from my spinal cord early in January. Now I'm in the middle of chemo treatments and physical therapy.  I just don't have a lot of energy to post like I used to, and I probably won't be back to "normal" for months.

Anyway, go back and read the original press release.  The closest thing it gives to a date is "later this year".  As far as I know, that's the only official info published. 

Seriously, I don't know what you expect Acurite to post about in the meantime.  I'm sure Acurite's competitors would love to know their pricing and production roadmap for the new line, too.   :roll:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:26:38 PM by nincehelser »

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2017, 11:33:03 PM »
Hey George,
As is said in my Prostate Cancer Support Group, keep kicking the bastard! I pray for a full recovery for you.
I look forward to your insightful posts returning.
Another George

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2017, 09:38:32 AM »
Nincehelser,
My speculations about your silence may be without merit, and I am sorry to hear what you are having to go through. I wish you the best and a fast recovery.

As far as acurite goes, I can speculate all I want. I never claimed it was "fact", only what I believe may be taking place...