Author Topic: Losing the wunderground "Gold Star"  (Read 3425 times)

Offline bkrell

• KLASHREV46
Losing the wunderground "Gold Star"
« on: January 30, 2017, 11:28:26 AM »
Ok, I'm still a newb to PWS's so forgive me if I'm asking dumb questions and using vague terminology.  I'm not as worried about actually losing my little gold star rating on weather underground but am worried it might indicate an actual problem w/ my station.  I've got an Ambient Weather WS-1001 Wifi.  Middle of last week, I noticed I'd lost my gold star so I went back thru my data to see if there was anything odd.  The only thing I noticed was a 10 minute drop out of my barometric pressure.  So...I figured I'd be back in gold star territory soon.  To show how silly this rating system is, even though WU says it takes 5 days of quality data, my PWS was rated gold star about 10 minutes after I turned it on and connected it to the internet. A neighboring PWS (same Ambient Weather model) falls off and reappears 2-3 times a week and it's never without it's gold star for more than half a day after it comes back online. The only other time I lost the rating was when I briefly removed my station from the pole to get it a couple of feet higher in the air, which triggered the rain gauge to falsely report a few hundredths of an inch of rain.  But a few hours later, my rating came back.

So I'm trying to see if there's something else going on.  My siting is not spectacular and I get a lot of erratic, swirling wind thanks to a stand of trees behind my house whenever winds are from the north or west.  Could that be the culprit?  All my other data seems normal and within the range of what other local stations are reporting...

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Losing the wunderground "Gold Star"
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 11:32:53 AM »
WU Gold stars are just a joke, randomly assigned icon...

Offline danner

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »
I wouldn't lose any sleep about the gold star. Seems to be completely arbitrary.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 09:24:31 PM »
My PWS always works properly unless there is an issue that I am already aware of. I lose the Goldstar designation on my PWS a few times a week--unfortunatey it means absolutely nothing and is totally arbitary.

This Goldstar designation has been discussed in numerous threads in this Forum. My view and those above in this thread are the same-- the Goldstar concept is a complete joke and a farce.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 10:12:38 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0