Author Topic: For Sale Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24-Hr Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield  (Read 6860 times)

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
I know zero about this thing.  And no idea about what you are talking about.  This is Dad's hobby.
I believe they are going to list it on ebay.  If no one gets it here.

When trying to sell this unit, you don't want to act like I have "no idea...what you are talking about." You set yourself up for being taken as a fool, which I am sure you are not. Here is the issue. You have a top of the line Davis weather unit, so consider it a used Mercedes. Someone that is willing to spend top dollar for a Mercedes, will want to know how many miles are on it, horsepower of the engine, leather seats vs. a less costly material, details about the transmission, etc., etc. Same will apply to your weather station and why many believe taking it apart and learning the components will help you sell it to a buyer willing to pay for your Mercedes. As I stated in a prior post, taking it apart is not hard, with patience and remembering to put it back like it was. Take a few pictures before taking it apart to help you remember, here are a couple of links that show you the pieces of your ISS:

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/VP2_Fan_Aspirated_ISS_Rev_C.pdf

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-333_IM_6322C-6334.pdf

Generally speaking, the Davis refurbishing program, as I understand it, cleans up a unit, recalibrates the gear, probably replaces the two rain tippers and the reed switch underneath them, but does not add the latest and greatest, for example, the SHT31 temperature and humidity sensor--but it is possible they might have. Unfortunately, the only way to tell for sure is to open the ISS.

Hope this helps. The good thing about this Forum you learn and educate yourself about the hobbyist that uses the equipment and we share experiences, both good and bad and hopefully help other enthusiasts in the process!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:26:08 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather

I presume http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=21985.msg269676#msg269676
and
I know zero about this thing.  And no idea about what you are talking about.  This is Dad's hobby.
I believe they are going to list it on ebay.  If no one gets it here.

Is not the same person...

Paul

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Good catch Paul, odd for someone knowing so little has own website too.
Randy

Offline night

• Senior Contributor
It's Dad's equipment and neither my brother nor I know much about it.  About 2 months ago Dad had some health problems.  Now he has no time to "play" with it any more.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
It's Dad's equipment and neither my brother nor I know much about it.  About 2 months ago Dad had some health problems.  Now he has no time to "play" with it any more.

Sorry to hear that so are you using your dads login or create your own?
Randy

Offline night

• Senior Contributor
Dad's

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
Dad's

I see where the problem was then. The station is close to 10 years old and was sent into Davis 2015 for refurbish job. Your Dad posted this back in 2015.
Best wishes for you and your father. 
Randy

Offline night

• Senior Contributor
Dad's

I see where the problem was then. The station is close to 10 years old and was sent into Davis 2015 for refurbish job. Your Dad posted this back in 2015.

That is correct.  The refurbishing replaced darn near the whole thing.  Except the display.

The plan is to take it down today.  If the weather permits.  And then take lots pictures.  To get it ready to sell on ebay.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
If everything is working I would put a $500 reserve on it. Doubt you will get much more for used electronics but who knows. That's basically 1/2 the cost of new items.

You might add to the item what was recently replaced by Davis to give buyers confidence its not junk assuming it all is still working. Mark posted these items were replaced.

The anemometer and cable.
Both of the solar sensors and mounts.
The rain arm (tipper) and supports.
The heater resistor and cable.
The solar panel and cover.
The circuit board and a new battery.
The FARS fan.
Randy

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
While it is true that someone will pay a stupid price on ebay, I cannot see even a refurbished 10 yr old Davis unit going for  $500
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Give it a shot on eBay, the worst thing that can happen is it doesn't sale for your reserve or starting price.

Best wishes to your father, you, and your family.
May God be with you all.
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster

That is correct.  The refurbishing replaced darn near the whole thing.  Except the display.

The plan is to take it down today.  If the weather permits.  And then take lots pictures.  To get it ready to sell on ebay.

Please PM me.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Dad's

What happened here? Did you sell it on ebay?
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline night

• Senior Contributor
We can't figure out how to get the wind thing down.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
How is it mounted?
Randy

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Do you mean the anemometer? Remember, you are selling a Mercedes (see my prior post) so learn the lingo or you will be a sheep waiting to be sheared, that is, being taken advantage of as you try and sell this Mercedes!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 11:11:32 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather

Post a picture of it...

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline night

• Senior Contributor
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
How is it mounted?
Post a picture of it...

I think that is a good answer.  A picture is worth a thousand words...

A job for a brave soul with a safety belt!

Paul

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
You could sell station without anemometer if climbing isn't an option. Possibly someone would give $400 or so. Replacement is $105 at scaled instruments.
Curious does wire from anemometer go into a wireless anemometer transmitter at bottom of tower? If it does you need to keep that unit for the sale. (Looks similar to main ISS box and has a small antenna sticking up) It's worth $105 also.
Randy

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
How is it mounted?
Post a picture of it...

I think that is a good answer.  A picture is worth a thousand words...

A job for a brave soul with a safety belt!

Paul

Climb every mountain....You have a challenge on your hands. You can get a new one for $105 at Scaled Instruments. Does this anemometer plug into the ISS or a separate anemometer transmitter kit? If the latter, you have another piece of equipment you can sell. New transmitter kits cost $105 at Scaled Instruments.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 10:57:23 AM by WheatonRon »

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Can you ask Dad how he got it down for servicing last year?

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
Ooh, that looks like almost boom-truck material which would probably cost as much (more?) than you could get for the anemometer.  But, that tower is worth a few dollars, too, and will most likely need to come down in the future.  See if there is a ham radio club in your area/part-of-the-state.  Sell it for a fair price with the condition that whoever takes it down hands you the anemometer still in one piece.

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
You could sell station without anemometer if climbing isn't an option. Possibly someone would give $400 or so. Replacement is $105 at scaled instruments.
Curious does wire from anemometer go into a wireless anemometer transmitter at bottom of tower? If it does you need to keep that unit for the sale. (Looks similar to main ISS box and has a small antenna sticking up) It's worth $105 also.

The transmitter sells new for $105--it is not worth $105 used, but might command $40 or so.

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
Physically where is this located? That appears to be 30' of Rohn 25 tower. If it's somewhere I have Ham Friends, I'm sure I can find a climber for you and possible sell the tower for you too.
Kevin Mahler
Skywarn Storm Spotter, AKQ3785
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY