Author Topic: Goldstar Stations  (Read 55083 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Goldstar Stations
« Reply #300 on: August 26, 2017, 06:22:17 PM »
Most folks posting in this Forum recognize the insignificance of the Weather Underground Goldstar.

I agree with this sentence and I wish people also agreed with the same statement without the "Goldstar" word at the end of it :-)

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #301 on: August 26, 2017, 10:20:36 PM »
It bothers me, it means there was a break in my data upload for longer than an hour, to me, thats not acceptable

If you data goes down or flat lines WU should send you an email letting you know. It will also send an email once you start sending data again.

Oh no, your station stopped sending us data on August 1 at 5:55 AM.

Station ID:

KFLNORTH35

We want you back!

Please check your weather station to get back online.

Make sure your device is connected to WiFi. Ensure your router settings are correct. If you have recently changed internet providers update your settings in your weather station software.
Make sure the unit is powered up. Check that solar panels are not obstructed, it is plugged in or has charged batteries.
Make sure you are connecting to wunderground.com. Are you using your computer to send data to Wunderground? Check that it is powered up and not in sleep mode.
Cycle the power. Unplug the unit and plug it back in to see if that resolves that issue.
If these tips do not solve your issue, please review our help articles.

To view your weather stations, visit here and log on with your account.

Thank you,
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 10:25:11 PM by hankster »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #302 on: August 26, 2017, 10:32:28 PM »
Most folks posting in this Forum recognize the insignificance of the Weather Underground Goldstar.

I agree with this sentence and I wish people also agreed with the same statement without the "Goldstar" word at the end of it :-)

Disagree. Weather Underground does provide a forum for PWS owners that don't post their data to Findu (CWOP) or comparable websites, so WU does add to the "better good" of weather monitoring and reporting. Unfortunately, I just wish WU would get its act together. Sorry Big Blue, aka IBM. Your arrival on the WU scene didn't help; in fact, it may have made things worse!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 11:30:48 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #303 on: August 27, 2017, 01:38:10 AM »
Most folks posting in this Forum recognize the insignificance of the Weather Underground Goldstar. It would be nice if it really meant something, but obviously something went wrong along the way, and it really means next to nothing. MesoWest quality checks are much more informative and useful.

And the video posted by vreihen above is exceptional viewing. Great job! Satire at all!

I agree. It would be nice if like Bashy was saying it meant something. Like when you lost it then it would alert you to a possible problem with your setup. Unfortunately it doesn't. Comes and goes at random.

WU does if your email addy is correct, if your data stops sending to WU for whatever reason, you get an email, i do
but im not always home to rectify it.

I keep saying this, the GS is for consistency not quality, if you ignore the idea that its for quality, then the GS does actually
mean something be cause it is based on your data upload consistency NOT quality.

Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #304 on: August 27, 2017, 01:42:18 AM »

I disagree too, if it wasnt for WU (and MT) i would not have been able to recover 8 years of data.
For me, WU works, i have no issues with it, when i have asked for help Kari has helped albeit slow (2 weeks at one point)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #305 on: August 27, 2017, 01:57:29 AM »
Most folks posting in this Forum recognize the insignificance of the Weather Underground Goldstar. It would be nice if it really meant something, but obviously something went wrong along the way, and it really means next to nothing. MesoWest quality checks are much more informative and useful.

And the video posted by vreihen above is exceptional viewing. Great job! Satire at all!

You are talking quality again, how many times do i have to say, stop comparing the GS to other quality checking sites
thats not what the GS is about, its only for consistency, you could send 30ºC higher than it should be, it does not make
any difference, (unless your station is reported of course) as long as you are sending data without at a break you get a GS
and i think  the break is about 90 minutes or more, not figured that part out.

Folks that have replied on here have confirmed this too, their data stopped sending, they lost their GS.

For a start, has WU ever stated that the GS is for data quality? some of you just automatically assumed it was for data
quality "has passed our quality control process for 5 consecutive days." does not say data quality, just says quality process
but the "5 days" part and when i have stopped sending for over  and hour, tells me that its consistency

Even the UKMO WOW is the same, Submit over 350 days and you get  gold badge ;)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #306 on: August 27, 2017, 10:31:50 AM »
You are talking quality again, how many times do i have to say, stop comparing the GS to other quality checking sites
thats not what the GS is about, its only for consistency, you could send 30ºC higher than it should be, it does not make
any difference, (unless your station is reported of course) as long as you are sending data without at a break you get a GS and i think  the break is about 90 minutes or more, not figured that part out.

Directly from the WU web site

Are you a quality gold star weather station?

← Personal Weather Stations
How can I tell what stations have high quality data?
All weather station data goes through a quality control (QC) process.
Each station is checked for
Data Validity - Is the data within the valid range?
Sensor Failure - Does you sensor appear stuck or repeat the same value throughout the day?
Neighbor Check - Does your station agree with other nearby stations?

If your data passes all of these quality control (QC) checks, it will appear on our website and apps.

If you station is continuously passing our quality control process for 5 consecutive days, your station will be flagged as gold star.
You can tell whether your station is gold star by logging into your WU account on our website www.wunderground.com
Go to My Profile > My Weather Stations

http://help.wunderground.com/knowledgebase/articles/1086379-are-you-a-quality-gold-star-weather-station
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:35:45 AM by hankster »

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #307 on: August 27, 2017, 10:38:39 AM »
Thanks for pointing that out, I retract my uneducated statements.

But still stand by how I think it works, not how it's meant to work, just how I think it works.

If there is no break it data transfer to wu regardless of data quality, you get ya gold star 🌟 This has been proven time and time again, there are many stations with a GS that has crap data, i have not verified this mind, I have just taken folks word for it when then said about it in their replies in this thread
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #308 on: August 27, 2017, 10:48:25 AM »
Exactly as you said WU and MT - in this case it is not really important it is MT, the important thing is the data is YOURS and on YOUR server. Not under control of someone who can do whatever they want with it - sell it, delete it, modify it...

Other thing is that WU misleads people for example by the way they calculate their so-called "average" - for me, someone who loves statistics, it is absolutely unacceptable

and I could go on

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #309 on: August 27, 2017, 06:36:57 PM »
Thanks for pointing that out, I retract my uneducated statements.

But still stand by how I think it works, not how it's meant to work, just how I think it works.

So WU is telling people that the data goes through QC for accuracy but as you, and many others, have noted, it does nothing of the sort. IMHO, that makes the GS meaningless and actually could be harmful to people that use that data for part of their personal decisions.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #310 on: August 28, 2017, 01:34:09 AM »
Not, not pointless, at least not for me, its a good indicator that i have/had an issue on my wx server
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #311 on: August 28, 2017, 05:36:27 AM »
It is pointless because it is not true. People who had their stations in operation for less than 24h already had one, likewise, people have lost it without a single gap in their data. This whole GS thing is just a big joke.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #312 on: August 28, 2017, 06:10:23 AM »
Actually, people thought they lost it when there was no gap, but j noticed an issue in one of those. I didn't notice any others saying they had lost it there and then else I would have checked to see why it had been lost.

All I have said is how it works for me, if there is a break of about an hour or so in me data, I lose the star, this is all I have said, this is how it's always worked for me, I cannot comment on data quality.
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #313 on: August 28, 2017, 07:26:18 AM »
Well I had that experience myself a few months back, not a single gap in data and it was gone for like 2 days

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #314 on: August 28, 2017, 07:44:08 AM »
Didn't you have sensor issues couple of months back? Someone broke them?
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #315 on: August 28, 2017, 07:55:05 AM »
Yes I did, but this was not at that time, it was when everything was perfect.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #316 on: August 28, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »
My gold star randomly came back on my station in VT. I did notice that the closest reporting NWS station is now back online as well. Not sure if that plays into it as the station is a number of miles away and at a different altitude.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline mldenison

• Contributor
    • York, PA Weather
« Reply #317 on: August 28, 2017, 03:29:09 PM »
I didn't even know I had a gold star until I started reading this thread  :grin:
Windows 7 x64
Weather PC: Intel NUC
Davis Vantage Pro 2
Weather Underground: KPAYORK30
York, PA Weather (Saratoga)
York, PA Weather (Leuven)
York, PA PWS Station

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #318 on: August 28, 2017, 08:34:28 PM »
Mine came back sometime today. Whoopie!

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #319 on: August 29, 2017, 07:58:02 AM »
Mine keeps flip flopping; one day it's at the CT station, the next the VT. It's just going back and forth.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline hazyarc

« Reply #320 on: September 20, 2017, 01:09:10 PM »
I have a Davis Vantage Vue and have been experiencing the same thing (link to PWS here:  https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KSCGREEN32). 

One odd thing I noticed - if you click the "Forecast for Greenwood SC" link and then click the 10 Day tab to get the graph (https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/sc/greenwood/KSCGREEN32), you'll notice the pressure reading prior to the current time is all wacky (see screenshot).  Obviously, the pressure spikes don't correspond to what my station reported on the actual PWS page - I'm wondering if that false reading on that page is what is removing the gold star status.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #321 on: September 20, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »
It could be. I had mine back at the VT station for a bit...then it was gone again. I did notice a few breaks in the lines over the weekend one morning. There must have been a communication issue between my station and WU.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
  • Ambient Weather WS-2000
    • KCOFORTC421 - Hanna Farm
« Reply #322 on: September 20, 2017, 07:01:15 PM »
Looks like these guys got their Medals from WU today...
Ambient Weather WS-2000 Weather Station

Home Weather Server:
http://kcofortc421.dynu.net/WD/wx.html

Weather Underground Link:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCOFORTC421

PWS Weather Link:
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KCOFORTC421.html

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #323 on: September 20, 2017, 07:11:02 PM »
Looks like these guys got their Medals from WU today...
:lol: Too bad each one doesn't represent a bullet hole. UU

Offline Eno

« Reply #324 on: February 02, 2018, 03:31:56 PM »
No webcam image for days, Purple Air sensor stopped communicating, but today's last straw?  Goldstar gone! 

anything