Author Topic: Setting up my own software or going online (cloud)?  (Read 1320 times)

Offline strips

Setting up my own software or going online (cloud)?
« on: July 29, 2016, 08:55:31 AM »
Hi,

I have been interested in getting a weather station a few years now. But I think I'll start in the other direction. I will decide what to buy when I see what kind of software solution would fit me best.

I hope someone can help me along and point me in some directions.

The perfect weather software for me would be something like Netatmo with its apps and ecosystem but I think it would be to limiting.

• Preferably a cloud solution but I can set up my own server as well in Linux.
  • Detailed logging where I can get my own data out for years to come
  • Web access to my own station with graphs and trends and the works
  • App (Android, Iphone) with the same as the web access
  • Reasonable monthly/annual fee or free

I have a feeling I might not find all this in one site. Are there setups where I could upload to several services to achieve this? the reason I want a cloud solution is I have kids. I no longer have time to tinker with servers and databases.

I'm fairly technical minded and electronics and computers is no problem. I'm just getting lazy and like more and more plug and play.

Regards
Stian

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
Re: Setting up my own software or going online (cloud)?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 04:02:00 PM »
Any station that uploads to Weather Underground would give you most of those features.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 08:21:01 PM »
I have run circles on this topic.  Started with Weatherlink/templates, moved to custom stuff, then to Meteobridge uploading to WU and frankly, that is enough.  I do have an SQL feed from MB ut I guess in the end it matters what YOU want to do.  I think WU is better than the personall site.  YMMV
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 05:59:53 AM »
TBH I think the reality is that there just is not a good wxdata cloud platform out there that really ticks all the boxes.

There's an opportunity for someone to develop one but it would need to be done on a full commercial basis, probably involving 2-3 developers plus an admin role - the requirements for continuing development and ongoing maintenance & support are just too much for one person to handle, no matter how skilled/dedicated.

So there would probably need to be an annual sub (or more likely some sort of fremium model with tiers of capability from free to high-end). If you could design a site good enough to sign up (ultimately) say 2000 users worldwide at an average $50-100pa then the economics would start to make sense. The site would need to be good enough to justify that subscription level. I honestly don't know whether this level of demand exists, but I suspect that it might, especially if you could also attract 'business' users like farmers with a real need to have comprehensive and up-to-date presentations of weather data.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.