Author Topic: NEW PWS ON WEATHER UNDERGROUND. LISTING IS WRONG!  (Read 3199 times)

Offline TFD

NEW PWS ON WEATHER UNDERGROUND. LISTING IS WRONG!
« on: July 17, 2016, 01:09:18 AM »
I installed a PWS a few months ago and everything seems to be working fine. I decided that I would like to have it upload to WU. I provided everything required. WU assigned me a station ID that is wrong for the town I live in.The assigned subdivision is also wrong. I live in Hunters Walk. WU shows me in Buckhead. My town is Bartlett yet WU shows me located in Arlington. It placed my location on the correct street even though the street was not named on the WU map. With some reading, I learned how to name my street on their map.
I sent WU an email a week ago asking how all these errors might be corrected. No response!
H E L P❗️

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: NEW PWS ON WEATHER UNDERGROUND. LISTING IS WRONG!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 04:43:23 AM »
A common error is Lat. and Long. entries. Is that a possibility here?

Offline TFD

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 07:51:42 AM »
You're probably right. The question is, how can I get WU to correct the errors since they don't respond to my emails?

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 08:00:02 AM »
You should be able to log in to your PWS on WU and correct the lat and lon, if that is indeed the case.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline TFD

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 01:06:38 PM »
Currently, my assigned station ID IS: KTNARLIN5 which would be correct if I lived in Arlington. However, I live in Bartlett. Those station ID's look like this: KTNBARTL(X). How do I go about getting a correct station ID assignment? Would changing the longitude/latitude accomplish that?
Thanks for any help.

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 02:15:42 PM »
Once a incorrect station id is assigned I don't think it can be changed except with some WU help which if it can be done will likely take a while.

I would suggest it's better to register a new one, you can have multiple station ids as I do per my forum sig.   You will lose your current stations history so if you don't want that you might opt to wait for WU help.

Otherwise, register again and just make double sure you have correct station lat long, elevation and city/zipcode.   

Then just bookmark the new WU station page and go forward, the old one will fall off the map eventually when you change to the new one and it's data source dries up.

I will tell you I registered with 85379 and WU's iOS mobile app displayed all three station as Sun City AZ but I live in Surprise AZ.   The USPS has those two cities both associated with 85379 and although my station ids were correctly created as KAZSURPRxx WU incorrectly displayed Sun City instead of the USPS suggested primary city of Surprise.  Eventually I figured that out if you tap on the city/state name displayed you can change it to a "Nickname" i.e. "Surprise, AZ" in my case.

I complained about it and eventually they replied that they are supposedly fixing it in a future release.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 02:43:04 PM by sundevil01010101 »
Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline TFD

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 10:42:44 PM »
sundevil01010101

Thank you very much for the valuable information you provided. Like your situation, my Bartlett subdivision shares the same zip code as Arlington. Obviously, USPS zip codes play a major roll in WU Station ID assignments. As you suggested, I will create a new PWS account but with an adjacent Bartlett zip code instead of mine!

Thanks again for your help.

anything