Author Topic: Add on for increasing the accuracy of NexStorm  (Read 4746 times)

Offline night

• Senior Contributor
Add on for increasing the accuracy of NexStorm
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:59:59 PM »
Not sure if this is the place.

You have to be already using NexStorm to get in on this.  The Gurus have come up with a small add-on box.  That will greatly enhance the accuracy of the system.  He only has 4 boxes built.  And they are already on the USA.

http://forum.astrogenic.com/viewtopic.php?p=8382&sid=e7f7501b96aa9f26e5f77b74d2c41a08#8382

Care to step up ;)

Mark

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Add on for increasing the accuracy of NexStorm
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 01:18:51 AM »
It sounds like they are looking for users in specific zones and I, alas, am not in one of them.

Offline night

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 01:13:32 PM »
I think he is doing a slow rollout.  There is three cluster of participants.  And I think he is trying to fill in some holes.

Mark

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 11:32:15 AM »
It sounds like they are looking for users in specific zones and I, alas, am not in one of them.

I'm pretty sure they'll be looking for sensor homes in your zone in the not to distant future.  ;)
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline virusdunil

• Forecaster
    • Station Meteo Hebertville
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 12:23:04 PM »
who will pay another 200$ for TOA for a system that cost well over 500$ at the beginning (i got mine from a guy who was sick of it) ...being a nexstorm user I WONT...id rather invest in the System Blue.

Nexstorm is dying while Blitz is always increasing.

i was interested at the beginning but being only 2 in quebec...it doesnt worth the investment....compared to system blue/red,already 4-5 in the montreal area ;)
Cabled Vantage pro2 + Solar / Stevensen screen
Weather Display latest version + Boltek PCI-NexStorm-StormVue NGX / NSDisplay

http://www.meteolacstjean.com/weather28/index.php
Meteotemplate : http://www.meteolacstjean.com/hebert/index.php

Offline night

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 12:37:57 PM »
who will pay another 200$ for TOA for a system that cost well over 500$ at the beginning (i got mine from a guy who was sick of it) ...being a nexstorm user I WONT...id rather invest in the System Blue.

Nexstorm is dying while Blitz is always increasing.

i was interested at the beginning but being only 2 in quebec...it doesnt worth the investment....compared to system blue/red,already 4-5 in the montreal area ;)

I have watched all three systems.  Put up on a big monitor.  BO shows a lot of strikes.  But a great number of them are not where there is any storm activity.  Don't get me wrong, if I was on a shoestring budget, I may have gone with BO.  But I'm not and I didn't.  For the same reasons, I went with a Davis weather station.  I want the most accurate system I can afford.  My name is on the website.

Mark

Offline virusdunil

• Forecaster
    • Station Meteo Hebertville
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 01:51:53 PM »
hi...i too often work with 2 screens to get avcuracy with nexstorm....i get more strikes than blith due to my location and lacl of blitz near me...im accurate at a 2-300 km but above that....some are good and some are questionable....more away they are...more reflection i get so...i often get discouragement of playing with nexstorms settings...often wanted to throw it by the window but.... ;)
Cabled Vantage pro2 + Solar / Stevensen screen
Weather Display latest version + Boltek PCI-NexStorm-StormVue NGX / NSDisplay

http://www.meteolacstjean.com/weather28/index.php
Meteotemplate : http://www.meteolacstjean.com/hebert/index.php

Offline waterside

• Crab Meadow Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 04:55:09 PM »
NexStorm (and Lightning/2000) are both independent/single-station solutions.  They try to identify direction, range, type, and polarity solely based on the signal from the Boltek receiver.  Various environmental conditions, such as simply the difference between daylight and nighttime, can have an impact on the accuracy.  As a result it does take occasional adjustment to maintain accuracy.

StrikeStar is an LDN that tries to improve on this by leveraging NexStorm data from multiple stations to try to correlate and more precisely locate strikes.

USPLN/NAPLN, Blitzortung, and the new MicroLDN (the topic of this thread) are all TOA solutions that depend entirely on centrally-correlated pules from multiple (typically at least 4, but sometimes more are required) stations to identify and locate those strikes.

USPLN is a completely "black box" solution (HW/SW) that does not depend on any end-user equipment.  Blitzortung is at the other end of the spectrum and is not "plug and play" (but has strong community support).  MicroLDN seems to be in the middle.

Unfortunately I have had to return my mLDN unit and will not be participating, but that will leave more time to look at Blitzortung ;)

Offline night

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 05:37:11 PM »
waterside wrote
Unfortunately I have had to return my mLDN unit and will not be participating, but that will leave more time to look at Blitzortung ;)

You were asked to return the mLDN box.  The owner said you will get your money back.  Plus some cash for expenditures.  You then wrote emails to as many of the participants that you could.  Putting down the owner and saying you did nothing wrong.

It will be interesting to see if Blitzortung welcomes you.

Mark

Offline waterside

• Crab Meadow Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 05:42:28 PM »
I'm not sure where you got that from.  I chose not to make anything personal here, and for what it is worth you were the only person I had reached out to letting you know that I would no longer be participating.

I don't think I made any negative comments here, or indicated that that I was unhappy, or that I wouldn't get my money back.  I'm not sure the need for your reply but if I in any way offended you I apologize.

Offline mogli

• B2B Suppliers
    • B2B commerce suppliers
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 08:15:51 AM »
Interesting.
Lets make the world better. Go green save earth.

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 05:14:43 PM »
There are now 2 users in AZ and 1 in CA so looks like the areas have expanded.
John
W7JKG

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 05:17:04 PM »
Not sure if this is the place.

You have to be already using NexStorm to get in on this.  The Gurus have come up with a small add-on box.  That will greatly enhance the accuracy of the system.  He only has 4 boxes built.  And they are already on the USA.

Actually you have to be using Boltek, not necessarily NexStorm.
John
W7JKG

Offline JupiterJoe

• Senior Contributor
  • JupiterWX.com
    • Live Jupiter, FL Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 03:54:16 PM »
I am a part of this project. I considered joining blitzortung, and still would, but I have had my name on the list for new kit for over a year and haven't heard anything, and the website has no clear instructions on how to get kits other than signing up on the list.
Mldn is nice because it's virtually plug and play. They send you the completed kit, wiring, and gps antenna, whereas blitzortung, you have to assemble it all. It is an investment, but I didn't mind. It's still a project that's in development, so there are little bugs here and there, but the admins are quick to help and assist. You do have to have the Boltek antenna and unit, so you don't have to build your own antenna.
I for one, think it's very cool, and am excited to see more stations come online.

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 04:20:41 PM »
I agree with Joe. Like most new projects it is a bit slow to get going which doesn't do my built-in impatience much good. However because of a medical issue I would not have been able to construct the Blittz system so this worked out perfectly for me. I'm still looking for at least two more folks in AZ to complete our 'team', and CA needs three more to do the same (four nearby sites required for strike triangulation). Anybody care to join in? The only requirement is a working Boltek, and whatever it's driving will not be affected at all.
John
W7JKG