Author Topic: Reply ettiquette for this forum  (Read 2379 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Reply ettiquette for this forum
« on: April 28, 2016, 12:28:30 PM »
What do the members here expect for forum ettiquette when someone (like me) asks a question and gets answers or a conversation going?

Clearly when someone offers suggestions that do help solve your problem, a quick thanks note seems the right thing to do.

If I ask a question and find it was a stupid mistake I made or overlooked a check box or filling out a part of a script correctly, do I tell those who have been trying to help that I screwed up and problem solved?

I hate to clutter the board with all sorts of stuff but thanks seems to be a minor trouble for the one who received assistance to give back to those who reply.

On the rare occasion I've been able to give advice, I'm curious if they got their problem resolved.  But if I don't hear back I assume they did, and would hate for them to be spinning in frustration from something that a forum member could further assist with.

I just don't want to be rude to those generous folks who respond, yet not clutter things up. 

What's the general flow of the culture of this board?
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Reply ettiquette for this forum
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 01:00:51 PM »
My experience is that what you are suggesting - i.e. say thank you and also let the person know your problem is solved - is sort of the standard here, but not just here.

However I have of course been in a situation where the person just never replied, be it here, Skype, email. Sometimes they only get back to you a few days later when they run into another problem and in such case I cant resist to ask how is the other problem. Usually the answer is "Ahhh... yes that is ok now". I guess some people (minorty) do not realize this and once their problem is solved they think "oh yes, great, let´s move on" and sort of take it for granted you help them....

I wouldn´t worry about this too much, there are all sorts of people :D Fortunately I think this forum is very good at this, very few trolls and usually extremely nice people.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 01:21:14 PM »
+1 for what Jachym said :)
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 02:19:12 PM »
I don't care much for formalities and social gratuities, but it does make sense to let others know if the problem is resolved and what did it.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 02:36:23 PM »
Yup, ditto on what Jachym said, we just have to remember that there are all types of people here......
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 02:49:04 PM »
I've watched common courtesy and etiquette leave this country over the last decade or so. I even commented to someone about this just the other day.
Sad to say, but I expect nothing anymore.

Offline Ian.

• Forecaster
    • Chatteris Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 02:54:42 PM »
I treat the forum with respect and I especially extend that to those who freely give up their time and expertise to willingly help others.

Once a problem is fixed I try to remember to put SOLVED in the header so as to help others quickly discover the remedy.

When I read post which I perceive as disrespectful, it does annoy me, thankfully they are few and far between.
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16
https://www.chatteris.biz

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 04:04:11 PM »
I treat the forum with respect and I especially extend that to those who freely give up their time and expertise to willingly help others.

Once a problem is fixed I try to remember to put SOLVED in the header so as to help others quickly discover the remedy.

When I read post which I perceive as disrespectful, it does annoy me, thankfully they are few and far between.

I fully agree with what has been said here but especially what Ian has said about updating the subject in the OP's first post. That way, if I remember it correctly, anyone browsing through the forum will see the original subject title plus the appended "SOLVED" or something similar to indicate the issue no longer exists. If the OP changes only their last reply, you won't see it on the first post which is what shows when just browsing through the forum topics.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 06:32:07 PM »
Great, pretty much what I hoped to hear and think is good courtesy.

I didn't know one can modify the subject header to say something like Resolved or Solved.

I'll do that in the future.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 06:40:14 PM »
Great, pretty much what I hoped to hear and think is good courtesy.

I didn't know one can modify the subject header to say something like Resolved or Solved.

I'll do that in the future.

Dale
Sorry but OT. When I clicked on your little planet earth thingy on the left, it shows you had a Cat 4 roll through yesterday.  :?:

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 06:53:23 PM »
That and a constant wind direction from the west is remnants of a lightning strike a year ago.  I have to replace the wind monitor and cable.  Since I can't climb towers any more and the RMYoung 5103 being at 60' up my tower (to get over the tops of the trees that are oh so close) means every now and then things really get windy here (or so it seems.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 07:09:26 PM »
That and a constant wind direction from the west is remnants of a lightning strike a year ago.  I have to replace the wind monitor and cable.  Since I can't climb towers any more and the RMYoung 5103 being at 60' up my tower (to get over the tops of the trees that are oh so close) means every now and then things really get windy here (or so it seems.
Well at least where you're at, you don't have to worry about storm surge. :-P

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 07:51:23 PM »
300 meters above SL, and on top of a high hill.  Saved my butt more than once.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php