Author Topic: The Warming Climate  (Read 54308 times)

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: The Warming Climate
« Reply #300 on: April 20, 2017, 04:22:26 PM »

But they have.  They are teaching our school children that we are destroying the planet, and the heat is building and it'll never go back to "normal" again.

It's 100% false.  Or, in my field, we call it "crap science".

Explain to me how a person can take 125 years of reliable weather records, and use that to show evidence of roughly 10,000 years of timeline?  Nobody in their right mind would use a 1-2% sample size to explain the whole.

It's crap science, and that's what they are feeding our children today.  I've studied under some of the finest professors of climatology around, and I'm thankful that I can avoid the trap that the media is trying to set.

I'm with you on this. Let’s say even if we are wrong and somehow the small sample size of data is correct and the climate is warming, is it really all that bad?

I say no. Cold, not heat, is the biggest killer. There are many good aspects for the warming globe with some side effects that can't be ignored like low lying flooding but IMO it’s outweighed by the good of a warming planet. Enjoy the warmth now.  Eventually we will go into another ice age according to climate paleontologist, then we really will have something to worry about with potentially millions perishing from famine and cold.

Well stated by both of you. Wxman--Thanks for reminding me of the warnings about the Ice Age when we (or at least I) was growing up. Forgot about that one!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #301 on: April 20, 2017, 04:36:40 PM »
Climate scientists did not in fact say we were heading
For ice age in the 70 ,a
That has been debunked
And yet deniers still like to bring that one out
Also so now deniers turn it around to say more warmth is better than more cold?.both are not good outcomes

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #302 on: April 20, 2017, 05:35:52 PM »
Its not just about getting warmer...

Pure coincidence? Can you see some trend?
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/billions/time-series

And this is just the U.S.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #303 on: April 20, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
Well I know of one particular Bureau of Meteorology that simply deleted the highest temperature ever recorded because it contradicted the theory that temperatures were rising. This being on Jan 3, 1909

These days the headline mongers have a bad habit of trying to make it all sound real: Yes the temperature was the hottest on record ...... since 1952, amazing so you mean its been hotter before 1952  =D>

Many countries have fiddled the maximum temps to make them appear higher than actual but NOAA took this a step further and homogenized both the minimum and maximum trying to increase the numbers game even further. Much of the temperature increase conspirators must live in cities and of course cities are hotter than 100 years ago, bitumen, high rise, air conditioners, vehicles most trees are gone and not a fluctuating cow in sight  :grin:.     

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #304 on: April 20, 2017, 10:16:58 PM »
You will always get outliers in the data
And yes 100 years ago there was setups in the weather
Pattern at the time that ca used very high temperatures
Those setups Will hhappen again
The thing is ,more high temperature records are being
Broken than low temperature records around the world by a difference that is greater than natural variability explains

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #305 on: April 21, 2017, 03:51:48 AM »
Natural variability might be able to be explained but there is absolutely nothing natural when met offices start diddling the data and start changing records based on stations that are 1000's of km apart just to achieve the numbers they want or need, there is absolutely nothing natural with homogenizing.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #306 on: April 21, 2017, 04:46:05 AM »
They make it public the reasons for any changes to the data and why ( following accepted guidelines and procedures)
There is no conspiracy here.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #307 on: April 21, 2017, 05:56:49 AM »
Not to mention the fact that ok, I know there were some data manipulation, but so what... this is definitely not the case of all these studies, you will unfortunately always have people who do sloppy work, change data to "suit" their needs etc. But that doesnt mean all these studies are wrong.

There is no reason why all the studies should be biased. Yes there are of course people/organizations for whom it might be beneficial if global warming was proven or supported by a study, however! There are also countless companies/people for whom quite the opposite is advantageous and they will do everything they can to have studies that deny global warming.

The conclusion therefore is that you will have both good and bad studies for both sides and so you can look at them equally. And when you do so, you will find that the number of studies supporting global warming by far outnumbers the ones that deny it.

And I want to emphasize one thing again and Ive said it here countless times already. I am NOT saying humans are responsible for global warming. I am always just saying that we dont know. Thats the problem. We dont know. This means that I disagree with those who simply say - no. What I therefore want is have people studying this and most importantly - take preventive measures because since we dont know one of the possibilities is obviously that it is so and in such case, if we dont do anything now, it might be too late.

This is the exact same principle as insurance. You pay insurance because you dont know whats gonna happen. And maybe nothing will happen, in which case good for you and I guess you wont regret spending the money for the insurance. And in case something does happen, you will be grateful for deciding to pay for it. Or think of making backups. It takes you time, it might cost you some money to do it, but you still do it, simply because you dont know if something is going to happen to your HDD and you want to make sure you are ok if there is a problem. It might then later turn out that you never needed the backup, but you probably wont regret it either and you wont regret the money/time invested to make the backup. You have to look at global warming as not a fact, but a possibility. The undeniable truth is that we currently dont know. No-one knows for sure because it is so complicated. Thats why I disagree with saying - we dont have a problem, we dont need to do anything, lets just ignore this. No, the fact is we MIGHT have a problem and therefore we have to act in such a way that in case it turns out we do, the consequences are as little as possible.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #308 on: April 21, 2017, 06:29:24 AM »
They make it public the reasons for any changes to the data and why ( following accepted guidelines and procedures)
There is no conspiracy here.

Just excuses  :lol:

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #309 on: April 21, 2017, 06:41:49 AM »
There is a future for climate scientists  :grin:

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #310 on: April 21, 2017, 06:57:57 AM »
Read my post, I never said there is global warming. I said we dont know and a smart thing to do is therefore take precautious measures until we are certain, just in case. I would never think anything bad about a person who thinks global warming is not caused by humans. I think it is but thats just my opinion. The only think we know for sure now is that we dont know :D So until we know, we should be cautious and prepare for both alternatives. If someone says I dont care, I think it is not happening and if it actually turns out it is and we are screwed, well too bad - in this case I will say that such person is just dumb, or total ignorant (and I dont mean anyone in particular now). I have nothing against people who deny global warming, I disagree with them, but I respect their opinion because I know that I also cannot say 100% they are wrong. Just like they cant say I am wrong - we are back to the fact this is something no-one currently knows and therefore it has to be studied further and we have to take action and prepare for both possibilities. Thats how a smart person thinks.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #311 on: April 21, 2017, 07:09:39 AM »
So if we don't know then why are we fiddling the data to make it look like we do? We have to stop auditing data recorded yesterday to agree with the perceptions some want tomorrow. Climate scientists need to stop stooping to those that pay their salaries otherwise the data in due course will become absolutely useless for anything. 

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #312 on: April 21, 2017, 07:15:24 AM »
So you think 100% of all that has ever been said against global warming is verified and accurate?

Of course you will always have a few problematic or biased studies, thats just unavoidable in any field of science due to various reasons, but that in no way means everything is wrong.

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #313 on: April 21, 2017, 07:48:09 AM »
Just a couple of €urocents ;)

- Are there any proof about that "met office sensors" are the accurate ones? No. If yes, then real data about it, please. Just saying they are accurate are no proof about it.
- Was the sensors 100 years ago as accurate as nowdays? Most probably no.
- Are todays values measured with same sensors as say at 100 years ago? No. Any data whats used for comparing should be collected in exactly same way for whole the period. => All data can be sent to junk-bin immedately as data with recent sensors can NOT be compared to data from 100 years ago.
- Say there is a measuring station in the middle of a city (there are lots of theese). Was there a similar city 100 years ago? No. Why in heck is this station then still collecting data as the condiotions are not the same as 100 years ago.
This list could be continued endless....

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #314 on: April 21, 2017, 08:04:06 AM »
There has been some question to sensor accuracy with the ASOS stations. They tend to run warmer than non ASOS stations. Then again it could be just plain poor siting which has been pointed out by many skeptics including me.
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #315 on: April 21, 2017, 08:23:08 AM »
Just a couple of €urocents ;)

- Are there any proof about that "met office sensors" are the accurate ones? No. If yes, then real data about it, please. Just saying they are accurate are no proof about it.
- Was the sensors 100 years ago as accurate as nowdays? Most probably no.
- Are todays values measured with same sensors as say at 100 years ago? No. Any data whats used for comparing should be collected in exactly same way for whole the period. => All data can be sent to junk-bin immedately as data with recent sensors can NOT be compared to data from 100 years ago.
- Say there is a measuring station in the middle of a city (there are lots of theese). Was there a similar city 100 years ago? No. Why in heck is this station then still collecting data as the condiotions are not the same as 100 years ago.
This list could be continued endless....

Yes, 100% agreed, so you exactly proved my point. We dont know because our data is limited. However based on the above you cannot say global warming is nonsense, because it could just well be that it actually is true. The fact we dont have data or dont have 100% accurate data, in no way means global warming is non-existant. It just exactly proves my point - currently we are at a point where we dont know. There is absoltuely no evidence or reason to think that if the sensors were accurate it would show that global warming is not happening.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #316 on: April 21, 2017, 08:34:59 AM »
Here is an analogy:

- I say there are 1000 apples

You say that Im not very good at counting. I admit that.

However, all you can conclude from this is that the number could be different - but it doesnt have to.

So sensors are not accurate, i admit that (although we have other ways to detect this indirectly these days, but I wont go into that for now). Then that does not mean it was colder, or that the trend is different. It could be, or it could be the way we see it now, or it could be warming up even more and the sensor inaccuracy makes us believe it is warming less. Do you see what i mean?

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #317 on: April 21, 2017, 02:55:00 PM »
Some countries the climate scientists are paid for by
The government
No agendas,no chasing funds to keep their jobs

Those countries still show global warming
Remember,the USA is not the world

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #318 on: April 21, 2017, 02:58:11 PM »
Also,if you do trust our thermometers
Then use nature's ones
That shows warming too
( plants growing habits/ zones etc)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #319 on: April 21, 2017, 03:04:13 PM »
Some countries the climate scientists are paid for by
The government
No agendas,no chasing funds to keep their jobs

Those countries still show global warming
Remember,the USA is not the world

What... You think because they work for the government they don't have a agenda. OMG..............ROLMAO   
Randy

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #320 on: April 21, 2017, 03:38:32 PM »
There agenda would be to try and show
There Was not going to be extra costs and burdens
to the government I.e the government advisors would be trying to show the government it does not need to change policy etc
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:50:21 PM by waiukuweather »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #321 on: April 21, 2017, 03:39:06 PM »
Read my post, even if all sensors were totally inaccurate (which is very unlikely), then it still does not mean anything. It just puts the climate warming idea as "possible" instead of "certain", but it does not make it nonsense.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #322 on: April 21, 2017, 06:17:14 PM »
I am happy to agree the climate is changing .... it has been changing ever since the dawn of time, in hindsight this is something we do actually know. Now this term Global warming is where the discussion gets lost and all the excuses and so called reasons for and against it. To state there is no agenda with global warming would have to be the worst quote of the century.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #323 on: April 21, 2017, 06:31:16 PM »
So you agree the climate is warming,I.e changing,I.e the globe is getting warmer,currently,yes?
Or that the climate is changin, as it does ( no one will argue with that),but not the globe is getting warmer?
Which is your status,agenda aside ( and no,not everyone has an agenda to prove it exists,in fact if you had an agenda to prove there is no global warming occurring currently then you would have a hard time with that)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #324 on: April 21, 2017, 07:43:03 PM »
So you agree the climate is warming,I.e changing,I.e the globe is getting warmer,currently,yes?
Or that the climate is changin, as it does ( no one will argue with that),but not the globe is getting warmer?
Which is your status,agenda aside ( and no,not everyone has an agenda to prove it exists,in fact if you had an agenda to prove there is no global warming occurring currently then you would have a hard time with that)

NO I said the climate is changing, there is the other side of the so called warming debate called global cooling, oh that's right conveniently forgotten by some as it doesn't suit their purpose. Now I can just see the next response :) more denial