Author Topic: Power and Cable went down  (Read 10401 times)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: Power and Cable went down
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2008, 10:15:08 PM »
The good thing about using a transfer switch besides meeting code is it eliminates any possibility of accidents the worse case being electrocution of a line man working to restore power.

One of my customer's who admitted he was 90 years old (though he looked not much past 70) said that he was the cause of numerous appliances and TVs getting burned up.  In his case he was talking to the fuel oil guy filling his tank for the furnace, lost track of what he was doing and flipped the main breaker back on after power was restored before disconnecting his generator that was still running hooked in via a 220 outlet.  Amazingly it did not hurt the generator but I think perhaps it was a phase difference that spiked the voltage up toasting a bunch of things.  He came back upstairs to find the smoke rolling out of his TV.  He had done it that way for years but was younger then too.   ;)

Either way if someone not really familiar with how it all works is possibly going to be involved, say wife, older children, neighbor for instance it would not be hard to make a bad situation worse in a hurry doing it without a bonified transfer switch just for the purpose.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 10:17:54 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 10:48:57 PM »
Yes it would be really a stupid thing to do to throw the main to the grid with the generator running when the grid power is out. So you have to really be thinking and follow a check list so you don't do thing wrong.  #-o
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 11:03:25 PM »
Yes it would be really a stupid thing to do to throw the main to the grid with the generator running when the grid power is out. So you have to really be thinking and follow a check list so you don't do thing wrong.  #-o

It's called  "dead man plug" for a reason...

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 11:39:06 PM »
This is how I have run my generator for the last 20 years. First I turn off the main circuit breakers then I turn on the main circuit breaker that runs the bell (got to have at least $45.00 in this setup) that tell me that the main power has come back on. Then I head out to the garage and turn off the breaker to the Air compressor unplug the 220 volt air compressor then plug in the generator to the same plug that I just unplugged. Fire up the generator and turn on the Air compressor breaker. The whole house then has power..

Generator is just a Colman 8 hp 4000 watt 5000 watt surge small gas tank about 2 1/2 hours run but I only payed about $500.00 about 20 years ago and it just set in the corner of the garage taking up space till the power go out. And my neighbor like it also when he drag his 75 foot hose and I drag out my 50 foot hose and we connect them together with a washing machine hose so he can have water..

Thats the same way I run things here at home when on aux power...which fortunately is not too often.
My genset is just a 8hp 5500 watt unit but it;s surprisingly clean. When we moved here I just added a branch breaker capable of being back fed and wired a run of 6/3 with ground  mobile home RV pigtail to the outside and power it that way. I just isolate the system from the utility side by operating the main breaker. A transfer switch would be an easier way to do it but fortunately we don't have to use it too much. I have the same setup at a couple of radio sites that need backup beyond what the battery bank can supply. I'd like to have a larger unit that would power the AC but I think with the new furnace and it's PSC burner motor this one might run it ok..not all that great of a surge or inrush upon contactor closure.. Hopefully I wont have to find out anytime soon..

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 08:46:06 AM »
I would not call my self an expert when it comes to electrical wiring. All you need is a little common sense. You can actually do it with out a transfer switch at all. It just takes time to get up and running on generator power with out one. You could simply wire you self an outlet just below the main breaker. Then make your self a cord with 2 male plugs on it. That way when the power goes out. All you have to do is, throw main breaker, turn of unnecessary breakers, connect cord & fire up the generator. This is the cheapest way and it's still safe. Just have to remember to turn off the main breaker.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 05:36:19 PM »
I figure the extra bucks for a transfer switch is worth it.  I tend to be out working during power emergencies.  I have a list that even my wife can understand (sorry honey!) how to fire up the generator.  The transfer switch has a mechanical lockout that makes it impossible to accidentally have the mains breakers and generator breaker on at the same time.  I like the bell idea for when the power goes back on.  If anyone has a photo or instructions how to wire up such an audible device, that would be great.  The automated call system at the power company is supposed to call my cell when the power is restored, but I've found that it is not reliable.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 06:36:53 PM »
Agreed here!! It's better to take the time to make sure whatever you are doing is safe for you and everyone around it before putting it into operation.
The whole world is kinda in a hurry anymore anyway  :grin:

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 09:27:08 PM »
Well I could tell you how to hook up the bell thing, but so I don't get beat up on the safety thing  ;)  you need to hire an electrician. (you would need to pull the electrical meter   :roll:   )  If it more then plugging in a lamp into the electrical outlet people get nervous...

I figure the extra bucks for a transfer switch is worth it.  I tend to be out working during power emergencies.  I have a list that even my wife can understand (sorry honey!) how to fire up the generator.  The transfer switch has a mechanical lockout that makes it impossible to accidentally have the mains breakers and generator breaker on at the same time.  I like the bell idea for when the power goes back on.  If anyone has a photo or instructions how to wire up such an audible device, that would be great.  The automated call system at the power company is supposed to call my cell when the power is restored, but I've found that it is not reliable.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 09:30:22 PM by mmorris »
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 08:34:39 AM »
Why does it require the meter to be pulled? Why can't it be wired above the main breaker?

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 12:50:48 PM »
You can, if you don't mind playing with hot 220 :!:

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 12:56:27 PM »

This is why it's nice to have the meter box separate from the load center. :)

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 01:12:30 PM »
Think I'll let the electrican play with the pre-mains bell hookup!  What kind of bell did you use?  It requires some sort of transformer I suppose?  How did you rig it to silence it?

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 06:06:55 PM »
Here are some bad Pictures of my bell. The tran is just a door bell tran 220V and the bell sound like a school bell when the power come back on. 

Follow me on twitter

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 09:35:03 PM »

I also might add since there probably is no breaker or fuse until you get to the transformer hanging on the power pole by your house that may well be supplying several houses along with yours, one wrong move and the fire does not stop flying until the blade of your screw driver turns a cherry red and melts away.     :razz:

Hopefully it is the screw driver melting and not your fingers.  But once your heart stops you will not feel anything anyway.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 09:37:50 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 09:57:20 PM »
You guys scare me.   :shock:

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2008, 11:34:16 PM »
You guys scare me.   :shock:

Fear can be a lifesaver.   ;)

Not to beat this to death but here is a video you'all might find interesting.  Note they are simply back feeding a line transformer with 120 Volts just as if you forgot to turn off your main breaker before hooking up your generator for this demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_4gsPe7BuM&NR=1

Nuff said.. ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:42:08 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2008, 12:12:35 AM »
Great example Mark! Thanks for posting that. Really gets the point across.

Do it right and be safe: http://www.gen-tran.com/

=D&gt;

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2008, 08:22:03 AM »
George, Your playing with live 220 wheather or not you connect it in the breaker pannel or the meter box. Sure pulling the meter does remove 220 from the breaker pannel but the top of the meter box is still live (hot).

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2008, 09:29:00 AM »
This is just a safety thing even if you have a main breaker go bad to replace it you need to turn off the main breakers before you pull the meter to replace the breakers and when you got the new breaker in place you have to leave them in the off position until you replace the meter. Other wise if for some reason there is a call for electricity in the house (water heater, furnace, electric stove, air, well pump, or the like) you will probably not like the results when you try an push the meter back in place.
 Don't be messing around inside the meter box trying to add wire in that box... And don't be messing around with the main breaker with out removing the electric meter.. 
Follow me on twitter

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
  • Texas Township, Illinois
    • Texas Township, Clinton, Illinois 61727  Weather
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2008, 12:24:29 PM »
This is just a safety thing even if you have a main breaker go bad to replace it you need to turn off the main breakers before you pull the meter to replace the breakers and when you got the new breaker in place you have to leave them in the off position until you replace the meter. Other wise if for some reason there is a call for electricity in the house (water heater, furnace, electric stove, air, well pump, or the like) you will probably not like the results when you try an push the meter back in place.
 Don't be messing around inside the meter box trying to add wire in that box... And don't be messing around with the main breaker with out removing the electric meter.. 

mmorris,

Times have changed.
Thousands of electric meters are changed every day, removed and replaced, by utility personal, with out ever having a need to enter the residence.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)
[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2008, 05:43:34 PM »
I had my meter changed recently by a veteran power company employee, and noticed he was sure to put on those big rubber insulating gloves worn by linemen before he attempted to pull the meter.........

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2008, 10:57:24 PM »

mmorris,

Times have changed.
Thousands of electric meters are changed every day, removed and replaced, by utility personal, with out ever having a need to enter the residence.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)

AEP had a big push a year or two ago upgrading to the New GE RF read meters. They changed a bunch of em!
Judging from my power bill lately I really wish I had my old Duncan meter back :lol:

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
CW8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217