Author Topic: Back Yard Weather  (Read 4846 times)

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: Back Yard Weather
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 06:03:24 PM »
Also the price of Cumulus, being free is a big bonus.

I dont know how he does it actually

I am not even covering my costs of compiler upgrades and other ongoing costs

j
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 06:17:57 PM »
BDL, it started as a joke between a friend and I and it was time for me to move on from my home in TX and it just sort of happened by accident, seemed like an idea to try for maybe 6 months. I'd never even considered such a thing, but that day it made sense and after a bit of research I picked this area and I'm still here 6 years later and will stay until Sept 2014 when I'll go back to TX for a time and then likely return, but who knows. I know for sure the weather won't be as good, I spend well over 95% of the year in shorts and a tee shirt and we don't have heating, AC or insulation in the houses, don't need it

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 07:04:17 PM »
Big sign in the front yard?: "GONE FISHING NATIVE"
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline BDL69

• Washburn, WI Weather
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 08:01:05 PM »
Hope you didn't take that as a slam, about me using Cumulus over Weather Display.  Just trying to save some money after my initial investment of my station.
BDL

j

Offline BDL69

• Washburn, WI Weather
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 08:07:35 PM »
Wow!  Kinda jealous of the nice weather you have Steve!  Up here in Northern WI (especially this year) I'll probably be lucky to wear shorts and a t-shirt 5% of the year!  LOL!

BDL, it started as a joke between a friend and I and it was time for me to move on from my home in TX and it just sort of happened by accident, seemed like an idea to try for maybe 6 months. I'd never even considered such a thing, but that day it made sense and after a bit of research I picked this area and I'm still here 6 years later and will stay until Sept 2014 when I'll go back to TX for a time and then likely return, but who knows. I know for sure the weather won't be as good, I spend well over 95% of the year in shorts and a tee shirt and we don't have heating, AC or insulation in the houses, don't need it

Offline BDL69

• Washburn, WI Weather
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 08:08:18 PM »
LOL!  Good one Tele man!

Big sign in the front yard?: "GONE FISHING NATIVE"

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 09:20:24 PM »

j

Technically, Cumulus is donationware.  However, WUHU is still free.  We had to nag for a long time to get him to add a donation button.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline BDL69

• Washburn, WI Weather
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 10:14:45 PM »
Am I mistaken or isn't "Heavy Weather" the Lacrosse software?  Something different maybe.....

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2013, 11:59:25 PM »
In notes or somewhere in the Cumulus documentation it is definitely listed as FREE. With donations encouraged.  Maybe in the documentation it is listed as different things.  I did send a sum to Mr L though as it is a fine piece of software.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 01:38:36 AM »
Am I mistaken or isn't "Heavy Weather" the Lacrosse software?  Something different maybe.....

Heavy Weather is for La Crosse.  However, WUHU works with La Crosse, Davis, OS WMR968 and some others.  Since I have three brands of stations, I use if for all three as a common denominator.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 01:49:15 AM »
In notes or somewhere in the Cumulus documentation it is definitely listed as FREE. With donations encouraged.

I stand corrected.  You are correct.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2013, 07:31:17 AM »
While I don't wish to contradict ArmySlowRdr "In notes or somewhere in the Cumulus documentation it is definitely listed as FREE. With donations encouraged.  Maybe in the documentation it is listed as different things.  I did send a sum to Mr L though as it is a fine piece of software." especially since he did make a "donation", I can't find his reference. I do, however, find this on the Home page.

"Cumulus is donationware. If you like the software and find it useful, please consider making a contribution towards the continuing development of Cumulus. I rely on your donations to allow me to buy the software that I need to continue improving Cumulus. Donations received go towards software development, either towards the cost of new development tools and components, or the cost of hosting this site. I don’t make a profit from Sandaysoft"

For what it's worth, since I use 3 copies of Cumulus on different computers, I put my money where my mouth is and have donated $25.00 each Christmas for the last four or five years and will continue to do so.

George

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »
I'm a newbie and was trying out Cumulus when I had a problem (self induced).  Steve L. at Sandaysoft stuck with me explaining what was going on and basically what to do about my problem (as did some great users here on wxforum.net!).  With my thick-headed questions I figured at anytime to hear him say "buzz off" or something, but he never did...he just kept trying to answer my questions, explain to me what was going, and what to do next...very patient with me.  I like the software...the UI is straightforward and easy to navigate, configuration is easy, configuration of internet connections is simple, pleasing look to the default screen, etc.,.  I think it's pretty good and it's author is very approachable and responsive.  And, it is FREE!  :grin:

BUT... :-k  Imagine an artist finding a craftman who makes a certain type of paintbrush that (for this particular artist) makes his paintings come alive and be what he wants them to be whereas other paintbrushes are good just don't quiet get there for him.  The craftman simply tells the artist that he makes the paintbrushes because he enjoys making them and interacting with the artists that use them.  He also tells the artist that if the paintbrush does what the artist wants it to do, if he's happy with the end results, and if he wants the craftman to continue to be able to supply the brushes it would help if the artist could make a donation of any size to help buy tools, materials, etc.,.  Otherwise the craftman will have a hard time continuing the production of his brushes.  The artist doesn't feel forced into "buying" the brushes but after seeing their value they indeed donate to the craftman...sometimes small amounts, sometimes large amounts, and sometimes in between.  The artist doesn't donate because he thinks he is "buying" the brushes (there's no price tag on them). Instead he donates to the craftman so the craftman can continue to do what he enjoys and in doing so furnish the artist with a particular something he desires and needs.  He also donates simply because he appreciates what the craftman has done without any assurance of being rewarded for his work.  

No one software program will work for everyone, we all have our likes and dislikes.  There are other fine wx programs out there, some that cost upfront, some absoutely free, some donationware, some shareware (limited use), etc.,.  You have to pick your poison...or at least your tonic. ;)

After using Cumulus a short while and after my exchange with Steve at Sandaysoft I made a donation.  What George said about an annual donation is exactly what I had planned to do...it doesn't hit the wallet as hard all at one time that way.  Will I continue on with Cumulus longterm?...I don't know (I'm a newbie :) ), but for now I like it, I'm comfortable using it, and I'm thankful that Steve makes it available.

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2013, 11:07:39 AM »
It (Cumulus is free software for retrieving, storing and displaying data from an electronic Automatic Weather Station (AWS)) is
 the very SECOND SENTENCE of the home page.

However I like the idea of an annual donation.

Perhaps some confuse shareware (which requires a payment after a certain trial period) with donationware (free with donations accepted).

What we can all agree on I believe is Cumulus is nice and it is worth donating to the developer !

....especially since he did make a "donation", I can't find his reference. I do, however, find this on the Home page.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:16:24 AM by ArmySlowRdr »

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »
BDL, I traveled out of Chicago in the late 70's, including WI, still have a Point Beer box with some tools in it - that's why I live here now, it's a comfortable life and great weather, I rent this place furnished http://www.flickr.com/photos/47655945@N06/sets/72157623423091761/show/ for $900 a month which includes my gardener who just arrived to water and clean up the drive.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2013, 11:49:29 AM »
You are correct, ASR, no payment is required to use Cumulus...but the owner of it does ask for the users of it to help it continue being available.

Under "Features" the first notation is... Free for personal and non-profit use, but a donation would be appreciated if you continue to use Cumulus after trying it

Then, the last section of the Cumulus page on Sandaysoft immediately above where the "download button" is located reads like this...

Contribute

Cumulus is offered on a donationware basis and you are at liberty to download the software and to use it for free for personal and non-profit use.

If you find Cumulus useful, please consider making a small donation to the Cumulus development fund. Any donation that you make will be used either to pay for the site hosting or to purchase software or components to enable enhancements to our software.

You can make a donation by Paypal by clicking on the button above, which will take you to the Paypal site using a secure connection, where you will be able to enter your details and choose an amount to donate. You do not need a Paypal account, you have the option to provide Paypal with your credit card details on a one-off basis. If you have any queries about donating, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Download

It seems to me that Cumulus is a labor of love for Steve and that he's using an "honor system" for support of it.  Kinda like rural self-service vegetable stands..."Drop your money in the can for what you take...help me pay for fertilizer and equipment...". ;)

Yelp, I think most folks will say that Cumulus is a worthy wx program.  But, some folks prefer squash over okra...or vice versa. :)

But, I think we all know the lay of the land on this...

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2013, 12:34:55 PM »
First, ArmySlowRdr, my apologies. I did not find the page you were quoting until after your response. I guess there are "Home" pages and there are "Home" pages. The one I was referring to is "http://sandaysoft.com/".

Without beating a dead horse, I think many of us are disturbed over the absence of another Steve, whose software is much loved, much used, much needed, and a little out of date. Probably most weather software packages start as a labor of love, become just a labor, and eventually are abandoned. I don't think money will extend the "labor of love" period but I do hope it will extend the "labor" period.

FWIW

George

Offline BDL69

• Washburn, WI Weather
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2013, 06:47:28 PM »
WOW!  I might move to Mexico!  LOL!  Great looking place.

BDL, I traveled out of Chicago in the late 70's, including WI, still have a Point Beer box with some tools in it - that's why I live here now, it's a comfortable life and great weather, I rent this place furnished http://www.flickr.com/photos/47655945@N06/sets/72157623423091761/show/ for $900 a month which includes my gardener who just arrived to water and clean up the drive.