Author Topic: Temp monitors for fridge, freezer atic etc  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
Temp monitors for fridge, freezer atic etc
« on: November 29, 2018, 06:58:04 PM »
I've been looking for a way to monitor temps in my fridge, freezer attic, crawl space etc that logs high/lows that can send me a alert if it goes to a pre-set temp but there is no product to do so, sure i have a davis VP2 but when the extra sensors cost $150 plus and still can't alert you.

I've tryed samsung smartthings they have temp senors for only $20 but they only show the current temp no low/high no logs.

Then there is a product called SensorPush looks like it will do what i want but each sensor is $50 plus a $100 hub.

I've had issues with frozen pipes and just last week my freezer stopped working and i didn't know.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Temp monitors for fridge, freezer atic etc
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 07:32:15 PM »
I picked up a couple of cheap $5 or so things.  I have one on my fridge and another on my deep freeze.  The unit has a magnet for metal surfaces or you can use a screw.  There is a wired probe that goes into whatever space.  It doesn't keep a running log, but it does record high and low.  It has an audible beeper/tone for alarm points you can set, but it doesn't send anything anywhere.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 07:36:19 PM »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 08:32:25 PM »
Since you already have a VP2 you don't need a replacement complete weather station like the WS-2000 that can accommodate 8 additional sensors. But what I can recommend is the WS-3000 as that is just a console with up to 8 remote sensors (no anemometer, no rain gauge). The console reports to ambientweather.net for free and logs all sensors. The console also has neat graphs and its own logs too.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 08:51:28 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 08:44:37 PM »
Since you already have a VP2 you don't need a replacement complete weather station like the WS-2000 that can accommodate 8 additional sensors. But what I can recommend is the WS-3000 as that is just a console with up to 8 remote sensors. The console reports to ambientweather.net for free and logs all sensors. The console also has neat graphs and its own logs too.

I had that when it came out it never worked right, the screen on the display would just blink.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 08:53:15 PM »
What do you mean blink? Did you get a bad one? Were you out of range? Did you contact Ambient to get to the bottom of it. Lots of people use these with no issues.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 10:45:48 PM »
Check my sig for a connection to Wirelesstags. Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA (For the record, if you buy I get a small referral fee).  They have a wide selection now.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 06:54:36 AM »
What do you mean blink? Did you get a bad one? Were you out of range? Did you contact Ambient to get to the bottom of it. Lots of people use these with no issues.

The display would blink text comes and goes there are complaints about this on amazon. They sent me a new one with scratches all over the display and a sensor after that i never touched anything from Ambient.

Bushman do they keep high/low data?

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 07:39:36 AM »
^^  Appears they do but ....

$70 minimum to get started for a single sensor.
Requires a web/cloud account for them to work at all.  Don't see any option for in home hub use only.
They use G Groups for support.

The high price would probably stop me, but the last two major faults definitely will.

Offline mldenison

• Contributor
    • York, PA Weather
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 09:06:51 AM »

Requires a web/cloud account for them to work at all.  Don't see any option for in home hub use only.

The high price would probably stop me, but the last two major faults definitely will.

I'm glad you posted this.  I was on the verge of ordering a hub and 4 sensors for two refrigerators/freezers.  It would seem expensive and unhandy for my needs.
Windows 7 x64
Weather PC: Intel NUC
Davis Vantage Pro 2
Weather Underground: KPAYORK30
York, PA Weather (Saratoga)
York, PA Weather (Leuven)
York, PA PWS Station

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »

Not sure how $70 is expensive; additional sensors to create a mesh of a several sensors (13 bit res temp/hum motion  -  the lattermost for freezer doors for instance) for about $150 or less than any decent "weather station".  And essentially unlimited sensors.  FWIW, I use Google groups for support on a lot of apps, but CAO also provides email support - and unlike Chaney, they actually answer them on a timely basis.  I agree that the lack of a local DB is not optimal.  But cloud is all the rage.  I use Wireless tags and monitor a place 500 kms away.  Pretty handy.  YMMV

There are really not a lot of options in this space, unless you go  too expensive industrial control or are a techie (HOBO).  The only other thing I can suggest tot he OP is to look at getting an Acurite Access hub and adding their sensors.  Lots of issues there too.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline mldenison

• Contributor
    • York, PA Weather
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 10:19:24 AM »
An Ethernet Tag Manager ($49) and a 5 pack of temperature sensors ($124) is $173 plus shipping.  That's a bit much for me to see what the current refrigerator and freezer temperatures are in two refrigerators.  For me, this isn't something I'd integrate into my Davis VP2 and WD.
Windows 7 x64
Weather PC: Intel NUC
Davis Vantage Pro 2
Weather Underground: KPAYORK30
York, PA Weather (Saratoga)
York, PA Weather (Leuven)
York, PA PWS Station

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 11:05:18 AM »
An Ethernet Tag Manager ($49) and a 5 pack of temperature sensors ($124) is $173 plus shipping.  That's a bit much for me to see what the current refrigerator and freezer temperatures are in two refrigerators.  For me, this isn't something I'd integrate into my Davis VP2 and WD.

If it makes sense to you, then that is all that matters.   (Try using Davis to do that - about triple the cost!) Good luck finding something.

BTW, I am gonna fire up my SDR one of these days and  see if I can't sniff the signal for local access to Wireless tags..  I do not believe the signal is encrypted.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 11:16:46 AM »
And it turns out THERE IS local PUSH notification from the tag manager!  Only via HTTPS though (which is a good idea any way!)  Gonna have to start playing with that.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 12:39:55 PM »
Might be a moot point, but some home alarm systems (like my ~obsoleted Panasonic) integrate temperature sensors into the mix. Each sensor can be configured for various settings, notification and/or alarm parameters.
If you could justify the expense of such a system, for its' capabilities beyond your basic icebox sensor readings, it might be worthwhile at least looking at them.

My system can support up to 50 sensors, cameras, etc., all with just one hub unit and a router connection, which isn't required for a minimal local usage (a router/gateway of some type. I use a cellular wireless ATT "Homebase" one, running on an additional fairly low data allowance 4G-LTE cell line, everything held up in a power fail by their own UPS batts).
The system has a very nice comprehensive app for I/O, comes in Android and Apple, but not Windows/PC; it is regularly maintained and upgraded.
I use old cellphones and cheap tablets as interfaces for monitoring and configuration, system supports 8 devices (this system runs on 3 or 4 different radio bands/protocols-- DECT*, wifi, mobile...). The router supports the I/O devices via wifi. For minimal/basic use there is a keypad panel and keychain remote.
Plus your ubiquitous carry-with smartphone for remote monitoring/config use.

* Mentioning DECT: been wondering why it isn't used for wireless PWS's. It's a standardized wireless interface protocol that could make all of the various weather station components interchangeable. Supports virtually any data transfer mode and device profiles/classes. Has a healthy range (660ft-3.7mi) and interference resistance.
(of course, the 'proprietary' mindset of the PWS vendors is why this will never happen)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Enhanced_Cordless_Telecommunications

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 01:21:33 PM »
Might be a moot point, but some home alarm systems (like my ~obsoleted Panasonic) integrate temperature sensors into the mix. Each sensor can be configured for various settings, notification and/or alarm parameters.
If you could justify the expense of such a system, for its' capabilities beyond your basic icebox sensor readings, it might be worthwhile at least looking at them.

My system can support up to 50 sensors, cameras, etc., all with just one hub unit and a router connection, which isn't required for a minimal local usage (a router/gateway of some type. I use a cellular wireless ATT "Homebase" one, running on an additional fairly low data allowance 4G-LTE cell line, everything held up in a power fail by their own UPS batts).
The system has a very nice comprehensive app for I/O, comes in Android and Apple, but not Windows/PC; it is regularly maintained and upgraded.
I use old cellphones and cheap tablets as interfaces for monitoring and configuration, system supports 8 devices (this system runs on 3 or 4 different radio bands/protocols-- DECT*, wifi, mobile...). The router supports the I/O devices via wifi. For minimal/basic use there is a keypad panel and keychain remote.
Plus your ubiquitous carry-with smartphone for remote monitoring/config use.

* Mentioning DECT: been wondering why it isn't used for wireless PWS's. It's a standardized wireless interface protocol that could make all of the various weather station components interchangeable. Supports virtually any data transfer mode and device profiles/classes. Has a healthy range (660ft-3.7mi) and interference resistance.
(of course, the 'proprietary' mindset of the PWS vendors is why this will never happen)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Enhanced_Cordless_Telecommunications

Good point about the alarm system: My DSC has that, but they are wired only.  And I like your thought about DECT.  Would be way cool to use that for sensors, but everyone seems to be on a mesh network (Zigbee etc.)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 01:22:01 PM »
I use a spare Davis wireless Temp Station #6372 with its 25-foot stainless steel plug-in sensor #6475.

Ditto for my hot tub.  But bulky and expensive.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 04:11:23 PM »
I just use my regular console..  Supports up to 8 extra sensors IIRC

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 07:12:57 PM »
I've tired acurite as well they are ok but i have found nothing as reliable as davis but as others have said the sensors are big and not cheap.

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2018, 07:59:34 AM »
And it turns out THERE IS local PUSH notification from the tag manager!  Only via HTTPS though (which is a good idea any way!)  Gonna have to start playing with that.

Bushman do you know how well they hold up in a freezer? the battery life? My smarthings battery last no time in a freezer.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 10:56:08 AM »
I briefly tried one in the freezer and it was fine.  But to your question, at least indirectly, one lasted all winter in temps to -25C.  The smallest ones run on a button cell and are good for 6-9 months IME (real world).  The larger battery units like the Kumo last for years.  BTW, you can really extend the battery life on them if you reduce the reporting frequency etc.

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2018, 03:37:28 PM »
I briefly tried one in the freezer and it was fine.  But to your question, at least indirectly, one lasted all winter in temps to -25C.  The smallest ones run on a button cell and are good for 6-9 months IME (real world).  The larger battery units like the Kumo last for years.  BTW, you can really extend the battery life on them if you reduce the reporting frequency etc.

So for a freezer the larger KumoSensor would be better.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2018, 04:21:30 PM »
That would be my take - I did that for my hot tub using a $2 stainless external sensor.  That way you need not worry about the Faraday Effect  or battery life.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2018, 04:23:28 PM »
All the works should be outside the box with a small wired probe that goes inside.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »
All the works should be outside the box with a small wired probe that goes inside.

I agree - that is what I do with my hot tub.  Works just fine.