Author Topic: Upgrades? Since Victoria is Listening, What Upgrades Would you Like to See?  (Read 6781 times)

Offline daman

• Forecaster
Re: Upgrades? Since Victoria is Listening, What Upgrades Would you Like to See?
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2018, 12:41:05 PM »
Forget about wunderground. Have you ever seen rain rate calculated in davis console? If so, do you have more information of the formula they have used? I know even with davis device connected to wunderground, the rain rate would be same as the acurite reports to wunderground. But davis device shows instant rain rate as mentioned by Galfert and same formula was used by Acurite in the model 01036M 5 in 1 weather station. I was requesting the same to Acurite team in the mail communication.

I used to run a Davis VP2, so I'm familiar with it, but I haven't had it running in a long time for a direct comparison.

What Davis and Acurite are reporting to wunderground will be very close if they are both respecting the protocol.

As for the Acurite 01036,  I'm not aware of it doing anything differently with "rain rate".  I do have one, but I haven't had it set up the past year.  I can set it up and see if it behaves as expected or not.

I checked out the Atlas display and it does seem to have a rain-rate bug.  Strangely, it differs between the beta and production unit.  It looks like something Acurite tried to address for production, but still didn't get quite right.  I've sent a note to Victoria about it.

Thanks Nincehelser for bringing the rain rate issue to Victoria. Please post here if you get reply from her.
x2
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Harish

• Chrompet AWS
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 12:19:03 PM »
Hi Nincehelser, Did you get any word from Victoria on rain rate bug?
Looks she is active now in forum.

Offline Victoria

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2018, 07:33:08 PM »
Hi Nincehelser, Did you get any word from Victoria on rain rate bug?
Looks she is active now in forum.

We're investigating this, and I will let you know when I have more information. Thank you!

Offline Victoria

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2018, 07:39:07 PM »
Also, I would love to learn about more things people are interested in having. ;) Whether you're thinking of improvements to what already exists, or new things altogether, it's also worth mentioning. Naturally, I can't always comment directly, but please know we're listening and taking the feedback seriously.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2018, 09:42:05 PM »
I guess this isn't really an improvement since I was told this is coming soon, I'd like to have replacement parts available for the Atlas like y'all have for the 3 N 1 and 5 N 1. For example I'm a storm chaser and bought my Atlas for storm chasing. Occasionally we do run into large hail which can do anything from snap off a cup to completely destroy the sensor. Although in most occasions we avoid hail storms. If the anemometer does lose a cup or the vane breaks it would be great to have some spare parts and replace in the field.

Seriously though, somebody needs to buy a bunch of Atlas sensors and part them out and sell the individual parts like Ryan of Scaled Instruments does with Davis. Lol!
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2018, 10:16:30 PM »
One thing I recently noticed were the new WiFi tower and 5n1 displays that have forecasts from Dark Sky.

I'd really, really like to see that in an Atlas display!  Even better would be getting weather watch and warning information, as well as local radar.  I'd consider a subscription fee for the radar if necessary.

Also, my dad really prefers the simplicity of the rain readout on the 5n1 display you sent him.  I can't remember which model number it is, but he likes it so much I have to keep the old 5n1 running beside the Atlas.  He prefers the Atlas for everything else.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2018, 09:47:09 AM »
 HD Displays: Model #: 06061M & Model #: 06058M

I hate do not care for the rolling rain totals (24hr, 48hr, 72hr, week) on the HD displays for both the Atlas and 5-N-1. I only want to see the current days 24hr rain total. If there’s been no rain, then I want to see 0.00 inches.

The primary display screen should only show current weather conditions. The other rain totals should be on a selectable secondary screen. Or give the user an option of what rain totals to display on the primary screen.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2018, 10:30:05 AM »

I hate do not care for the rolling rain totals (24hr, 48hr, 72hr, week) on the HD displays for both the Atlas and 5-N-1. I only want to see the current days 24hr rain total. If there’s been no rain, then I want to see 0.00 inches.

The primary display screen should only show current weather conditions. The other rain totals should be on a selectable secondary screen. Or give the user an option of what rain totals to display on the primary screen.
I agree. I am most interested in what's happening live. I don't want a lot of screen touching to get that. I want to look over my shoulder and see what I want already on the display. If I want old information, I can go touch the screen for it...

Offline Harish

• Chrompet AWS
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2018, 10:58:36 AM »

I agree. I am most interested in what's happening live. I don't want a lot of screen touching to get that. I want to look over my shoulder and see what I want already on the display. If I want old information, I can go touch the screen for it...

I agree with this.. Even I like to have 24 hrs rainfall rate instead of current one. Better if acurite roll back to older display methods to show 24 hrs rainfall and instant (live) rain rate.
But how can they provide us a change if they fix our requirement? Software update? Anyone have idea on this?

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2018, 11:51:09 AM »
Also, I would love to learn about more things people are interested in having. ;) Whether you're thinking of improvements to what already exists, or new things altogether, it's also worth mentioning. Naturally, I can't always comment directly, but please know we're listening and taking the feedback seriously.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area and after the recent wildfires, air quality got really bad. I was thinking it would be great to have an air quality sensor.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2018, 12:19:46 PM »

I would like to see the color TFT displays gain:  battery backup and the option to darken the screen at night, or at least a DIMMER screen at night.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2018, 04:47:44 PM »

I live in the San Francisco Bay area and after the recent wildfires, air quality got really bad. I was thinking it would be great to have an air quality sensor.
Agreed, I run a Purple Air sensor and although I like it, I think it needs work.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2018, 05:00:43 PM »
One other thing I'd like to mention, in the display menu there's the "records" then "calendar" and it shows the records for each month. But to the left is the calendar and initially when I first started playing with the Atlas I thought I could tap on a day on the calendar and see the records for that particular day but I guess it doesn't. I think it would be cool if the display could retrieve data from the SD card (if used) and display the daily records for the day selected on the calendar display.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2018, 08:57:57 AM »

It would be nice to have one that reported to MyAcuRite. I have an Ecowitt WH0290 Air Quality Monitor and it works very well but I cannot check it remotely.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2018, 09:29:37 AM »

It would be nice to have one that reported to MyAcuRite. I have an Ecowitt WH0290 Air Quality Monitor and it works very well but I cannot check it remotely.

An indoor air/noise quality sensor was mentioned at CES18.  It would be nice to hear more about that.

Offline bdh

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2018, 03:23:33 PM »
I do not know if Victoria is still Listening or if this is a bug but I would like to see the UV and the Solar radiation on Atlas working on weather underground page.

I know they offer or show graphs of it as I have another brand that works fine

Thx

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2018, 05:16:59 PM »
I do not know if Victoria is still Listening or if this is a bug but I would like to see the UV and the Solar radiation on Atlas working on weather underground page.

I know they offer or show graphs of it as I have another brand that works fine

Thx

She addressed this a while back, but didn't know when it would be fixed.

The data is being sent by the Access, but there are some typos in the string that prevent the data from being plotted.  Wunderground and Acurite also need to reconcile some changes that were made to the data ingestion system last spring.

Offline bdh

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2018, 06:53:04 PM »
Sounds like something else that wont get addressed then. Do they not have a full time coder  making theses changes running them on a few beta testers ? Fall pretty far behind if not . I guess they do not want to pay for the push out of the update to the access ?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2018, 07:06:12 PM »
Sounds like something else that wont get addressed then. Do they not have a full time coder  making theses changes running them on a few beta testers ? Fall pretty far behind if not . I guess they do not want to pay for the push out of the update to the access ?

I doubt those are issues.

It probably won't be fixed until wunderground pulls its act back together.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 07:10:24 PM by nincehelser »

Offline bdh

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2018, 07:15:42 PM »
Its works fine on the weatherflow .I do not know if any other stations have it available and report it yet. Does that mean that WU and Acurite are in a feud ?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2018, 07:17:50 PM »
Its works fine on the weatherflow .I do not know if any other stations have it available and report it yet. Does that mean that WU and Acurite are in a feud ?

You aren't aware of the persistent problems of wunderground?

Why do you think they've been having to recode the whole site for the past year?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2018, 07:18:13 PM »
No.

Offline bdh

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2018, 07:22:47 PM »
Probably because they do not want to spend the money it takes to do it right and make a profit

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2018, 07:25:48 PM »
Proabably because they dont want to spend the money it takes

Umm... what?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2018, 07:27:55 PM »
Probably because they do not want to spend the money it takes to do it right and make a profit

Who?

anything