Author Topic: ObserverIP Firmware  (Read 953 times)

Offline theslydog

ObserverIP Firmware
« on: July 06, 2018, 04:20:50 AM »
I was wondering if there is any ObserverIP Firmware that allows you to change the Wireless Transmitter Settings Wireless Receive Frequency from 915MHz to 433MHz?

In the Ambient Weather firmware 4.4.2 the change arrow is greyed out.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Has anyone tried changing the bin file to enabled? I dont want to brick the ObserverIP.

<td width="419" bgcolor="#EDEFEF"><div class="item_1">Wireless Receive Frequency</div></td>
                    <td width="421" bgcolor="#EDEFEF"><select name="WRFreq" class="item_2" disabled="disabled" style="WIDTH: 80px">
                            <option value="0" selected >434</option>
                            <option value="1"          >868</option>
                            <option value="2"          >915</option>
                            <option value="3"          >920</option>
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 04:33:35 AM by theslydog »

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
Re: ObserverIP Firmware
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 06:58:21 AM »
Even if you can change the software settings, you cannot change the physical components to transmit on a different frequency. The OIP is such a simple and cheap device I doubt that the manufacturer will implement dual band components.

Might be simpler to just buy one that operates on the right freq.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline theslydog

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 08:12:42 AM »
Even if you can change the software settings, you cannot change the physical components to transmit on a different frequency. The OIP is such a simple and cheap device I doubt that the manufacturer will implement dual band components.

Might be simpler to just buy one that operates on the right freq.

I flashed it with Aercus firmware which is 433MHz and it is still on 915MHz greyed out so the receive chip must be 915MHz only and can not be changed.

It would cost more to send back than it is worth. So I might pull it apart and have a look.  I might be able to swap out the chip.

Edit: I pulled it apart and it is just a modular chip on a pin header. Should be relatively easy to replace if I can get the correct 433MHz one. I might even just be able to replace the 433MHz crystal. You cant see it but it is the 2 pins on the right at the back in the pic.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 09:28:47 AM by theslydog »

Offline theslydog

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 11:03:04 PM »
The module on the ObserverIP is a HopeRF RFM31B module that can be changed. It is less than $10.
They come in a range of frequencies including 433MHz.
www.hoperf.com/upload/rf/RFM31B.pdf

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:06:26 PM by theslydog »