Author Topic: Accessing LAN HikVision cameras with browsers or other means  (Read 3313 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Like most of us with the older HIkVision cameras that were accessible in the past with just an IP address and the login and password, when FireFox and others began to update their browsers to eliminate some security concerns (which I understand were in part due to Java, but other modules, too), I lost the ability to see those cameras from any computer in my home, from behind the network router/firewall.

I did find the iVMS from HikVision, but after attaching one camera, I could not figure out how to attach more, and after one of the Windows updates, even that no longer connected.

A very nice hint from a user allowed me to use VLC, a video program that I had previously used only to play music and movies, has a network stream function, but again I had to start that program and step through quite a few details to open the camera.

Yesterday I heard from another private message about a browser I'd never heard of called SeaMonkey.  A quick setup and I tried accessing the camera, and wow, it's just like things used to be.  Sure, another browser, but one click bookmarks to access any of the several cameras, and I can take snapshots and even record video clips again.

My question is, if Firefox dropped some code and tightened up security that prevented me from using it to access the cameras, does SeaMonkey still contain risky code that might be a problem?  No one but the family uses the network, so I'm not real worried about hackers from within.  I find more functionality with SeaMonkey than with VLC, so that is a step (video recording, configuring the camera, etc) and having all the cameras in little bookmarks for one click changing is nice, but I doubt I'll abandon FireFox for SeaMonkey for my general browser right away.

Thoughts?  Comments?  Oh, I tried IE which others claim to have success with camera access and it didn't work, nor did Chrome nor Opera, at least when I tried them.

Thanks for your thoughts,   Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Accessing LAN HikVision cameras with browsers or other means
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 09:20:20 PM »
SeaMonkey is like Firefox minus certain "features" that have significant security and privacy concerns.  Frankly if it rruns Java, JS, scripts, etc. it is a hole.  TANSTAAFL

What I'm moving to is a VPN under Linux (easier than it sounds!) and then access the cams that way.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 02:27:46 AM »
SeaMonkey is like Firefox ...

...on steroids.  SM is the great grandaddy of FF.  A real, full featured browser.  Started out as Netscape, then changed to Mozilla Suite and it's now called SM, it should be everyone's default/base browser.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 08:34:57 AM »
https://www.hikvision.com/en/Support/Downloads/Client-Software
I agree with Cutty that this is the definitive answer to our browser-related problems.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 05:39:18 PM »
I used 'IE-based-tab' extension for Chrome. It emulates IE in a Chrome tab - nice & simple. I've set it to automatically use the extension when I go to my camera's IP address.