Author Topic: Vantage Pro2 in Kansas up and going  (Read 3754 times)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
Re: Vantage Pro2 in Kansas up and going
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2018, 07:49:40 PM »
See if this helps

The base (see picture above on first page) shows I changed the original plan so it has 4 threaded bolts (that can be cut to size at most hardware stores); mine are 7" long and 3/8". The bracket has been modified from the original to accommodate this also. It is 4" high by 2" deep.

The drop down measurements are the same as the original plan (see above). 1/2" pivot bolt. Length will depend the diameter of your metal pole. Be sure you drill the hole through you metal pole slightly offset so you can let the pole down without gouging the wood post. I had a welder drill mine. He knew what to do.

My anemometer pole is 22' top to bottom. That thing is heavy. So even with a drop down feature I think I will have two people help when it comes time to let it down and do maintenance.

There are a lot of people on here who know so much more than I do about these things, but I hope I have helped.

Let us know how it comes out. We are a curious lot! Don't hesitate to ask for advice on this forum.

Dave in Kansas

Offline brett c

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 11:08:03 PM »
See if this helps

The base (see picture above on first page) shows I changed the original plan so it has 4 threaded bolts (that can be cut to size at most hardware stores); mine are 7" long and 3/8". The bracket has been modified from the original to accommodate this also. It is 4" high by 2" deep.

The drop down measurements are the same as the original plan (see above). 1/2" pivot bolt. Length will depend the diameter of your metal pole. Be sure you drill the hole through you metal pole slightly offset so you can let the pole down without gouging the wood post. I had a welder drill mine. He knew what to do.

My anemometer pole is 22' top to bottom. That thing is heavy. So even with a drop down feature I think I will have two people help when it comes time to let it down and do maintenance.

There are a lot of people on here who know so much more than I do about these things, but I hope I have helped.

Let us know how it comes out. We are a curious lot! Don't hesitate to ask for advice on this forum.

Dave in Kansas

Thanks much! This gives me a great starting base at this point in time!

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 11:32:05 PM »
Olathe? I am in Phillips County, whole different world out here. :grin:

Post a picture or two when you get done.

Offline brett c

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2018, 12:04:33 AM »
Olathe? I am in Phillips County, whole different world out here. :grin:

Post a picture or two when you get done.

That's a fair ways out there! Here's the final setup before i move the entire station over to the pole and new post tomorrow or Thursday. Waiting for the concrete to settle in and harden properly. It began to rain pretty good along with the usual thunderstorm like stuff...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Trees and bushes are getting some trimming later this week. Unfortunately don't have a better place to put it currently.

In this instance, used a 10ft, 6x6 post rather a 6x4 or an 8ft/6x6,6x4. I'm starting to wonder if i built a lightning rod... :-P
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:07:45 AM by brett c »

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2018, 09:31:30 AM »
New siting will be an improvement. That's a good strong base and your anemometer has better height. No place is perfect, or at least very few. I adopted the attitude of lightning will do what it will do. If it strikes my wireless, then I am out a lot of dollars. Prefer not to think about it.

Offline brett c

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2018, 10:36:45 PM »
New siting will be an improvement. That's a good strong base and your anemometer has better height. No place is perfect, or at least very few. I adopted the attitude of lightning will do what it will do. If it strikes my wireless, then I am out a lot of dollars. Prefer not to think about it.

Ehh, i went ahead and grounded the ever living daylights out of it, so hopefully that'll offset the chance. But lightning will do what lightning does - be random. Had three extremely close strikes in the past year or two, one no more than 5ft away from the house, another hitting a tree to the NW of the house and another this past fall that hit a tree up by the road. Woodpeckers were having a hayday however... extra crispy bugs alacarte.

I don't want to hijack your thread too much more, but got everything moved over tonight. Too dark now to take pictures, but it sure does look nice. :)

The pole the station was on originally popped out of the ground like a weed being pulled up - way too easy. May make a use for that tube someday in the future.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 10:38:21 PM by brett c »

anything