Author Topic: WS-2315 rain sensor  (Read 2662 times)

Offline dennorich

WS-2315 rain sensor
« on: January 16, 2018, 04:02:36 AM »
Hi All. My WS-2315 rain sensor is not reporting back to the base station. The thermo-hygro sensor is working as I am getting all wind data. Have tested the operation by manually flipping the water buckets & can hear a click sound as I presume the magnet makes contact with the mini pc board in the sensor but no rain data shows on the base station. Have checked wiring & all connections back to the sensor! Any thoughts? Any other checks? Thanks
Denno
Cape Town
South Africa
WS-2317EL

Offline Matt.j5b

• Ferny Grove Weather
Re: WS-2315 rain sensor
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 05:44:57 AM »
The only thing I can suggest apart from what you have already done is a battery change in the thermo-hydro sensor. How old is the gauge? But these gauges seem to fail after a period of time. I have asked about my sensor failures in another thread if that interests you. I have had 2 rain gauges fail in different La Crosse stations. On both the magnet corroded and the gauge failed (magnet corroding on third gauge). It also may be the reed switch (on the chip adjacent to tipper) but I not really sure why these fail. Hope that helps.
Regards Matt of Brisbane, Australia
Ferny Grove Weather
Davis Vantage Pro 2 with Cumulus MX

Offline dennorich

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 06:55:57 AM »
Thanks for the reply.
Will try new batteries as the batteries are more than a year old!
I would think the magnet is OK as when I flip the buckets, I can hear the a clicking sound which I presume to be the reed switch making contact
Denno
Cape Town
South Africa
WS-2317EL

Offline Matt.j5b

• Ferny Grove Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 07:15:43 AM »
If the wind readings are coming through then the batteries may be not help but would narrow down the problem. I have found in colder weather before the batteries get a year old a battery change is needed due to lost signal of the outside data. I may be wrong I don't think you can hear the reed switch activating (which is on the vertical piece of plastic and is a tiny) but when you tip the bucket it does make a tap against the base of the gauge. I do know the switch is activated when the magnet on the top of the bucket passes beside the switch. On my stations after the magnet get really corroded (the silver coating degrades and peels off slowly revealing the brown rust underneath) it has stopped working unless the reed switch failed.
Regards Matt of Brisbane, Australia
Ferny Grove Weather
Davis Vantage Pro 2 with Cumulus MX