Author Topic: C84428 station and WeatherUnderground  (Read 6507 times)

Offline iaflyer

• My PWSS
C84428 station and WeatherUnderground
« on: December 08, 2017, 05:21:49 PM »
So I saw the La Crosse C84428 unit at a great price, and decided to buy it to replace my Acurite unit. The Acurite currently reports to Wunderground and CWOP through a Raspberry PI and WeeWX.

The C84428 is still sitting in the box, because all the information I can find indicates that the La Crosse C84428 can't report to WU. It's even in the FAQ... but has anyone figured out a way to get this unit to report to WU?

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: C84428 station and WeatherUnderground
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 11:03:27 AM »
So I saw the La Crosse C84428 unit at a great price, and decided to buy it to replace my Acurite unit. The Acurite currently reports to Wunderground and CWOP through a Raspberry PI and WeeWX.

The C84428 is still sitting in the box, because all the information I can find indicates that the La Crosse C84428 can't report to WU. It's even in the FAQ... but has anyone figured out a way to get this unit to report to WU?

Like what you've discovered I don't think it can.  Lacrosse wants you to use their app.  The problem is you can't share the data..??  Maybe with some type of cross post through facebook or the like.  I've got mine finally hooked up and wifi connected. 

Offline mwall

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 01:08:57 PM »

Does the C84428 have wifi capabilities?  If so, we could reverse engineer whatever protocol it is using.

Does your lacrosse station have the GW1000U to bridge the weather station console to a TCP/IP network?  If so, then you can use the weewx-interceptor driver to do what you want.

If you do not have a GW1000U, you could purchase a 20$US SDR USB device to capture the radio traffic between the console and sensors.  Use the weewx-sdr driver to feed that into weewx and WU, CWOP, whatever.

m

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 02:37:44 PM »

Does the C84428 have wifi capabilities?  If so, we could reverse engineer whatever protocol it is using.

Does your lacrosse station have the GW1000U to bridge the weather station console to a TCP/IP network?  If so, then you can use the weewx-interceptor driver to do what you want.

If you do not have a GW1000U, you could purchase a 20$US SDR USB device to capture the radio traffic between the console and sensors.  Use the weewx-sdr driver to feed that into weewx and WU, CWOP, whatever.

m

Does the C84428 have wifi capabilities?  Yes....it's used for the sensors to the router and display or some sort arrangement.

Does your lacrosse station have the GW1000U to bridge the weather station console to a TCP/IP network?  No

I personally am I not interested in this station talking to WU.  I have 2 others that can do that trick just fine.

Offline iaflyer

• My PWSS
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 09:48:38 PM »
Thanks for the tips. What's annoying is that the station clearly has Wifi capabilities to communicate with the LaCrosse iOS App. It probably not a hard programming job to enable some sort of upload to WU. I think it's just a features issue to force people who want to report to WU to a higher priced product.

Unfortunately (for them), I'm not paying an extra $100 plus for the weather station (http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/330-2315-professional-weather-underground)  that does report to WU. Sure, it probably has other features to differentiate it, but in the end, it's a significantly more expensive product.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 09:57:39 PM »
what happens if WU pull the plug on personal weather station data too?
all these cheap weather stations advertising and promoting and using WU as a way to get data will be up a creek with no paddle

Offline capnkirk13

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 03:04:01 PM »
Hello all.  New to the forum here and just purchased the C84428.  I'll try and capture some packets with Wireshark and see what I can find.

Offline hotsauce2007

• Weather Station
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 04:38:41 PM »
Hello all.  New to the forum here and just purchased the C84428.  I'll try and capture some packets with Wireshark and see what I can find.

I will keep an eye over here, I really want to do the same...  \:D/

Offline keith.prickett

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 01:01:44 PM »

I'm curious what you come up with.  Let me know if you could use some extra coding or another set of eyes.  I have a C84428 too and am interested to get the data connected to WU.

Offline keith.prickett

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 03:47:13 PM »
I finally got this done. :-D Here's my github repo: https://github.com/keithprickett/lacrosse_to_wunderground

This repo links to two other repo's you'll need which are small tools to do each end of the work -- one for La Crosse connection and the other for Wunderground.

Note that in my connector code (the link here) you may need to modify the device names in the code to get the data from the right sensor device on your La Crosse system.  I'll be happy to help with questions or issues as you have need.

Offline M&M Stormchasing

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 01:09:54 AM »
Keith,
Thanks for the info....unfortunately it's all Greek to me when it comes to coding. Any help would be appreciated.

I finally got this done. :-D Here's my github repo: https://github.com/keithprickett/lacrosse_to_wunderground

This repo links to two other repo's you'll need which are small tools to do each end of the work -- one for La Crosse connection and the other for Wunderground.

Note that in my connector code (the link here) you may need to modify the device names in the code to get the data from the right sensor device on your La Crosse system.  I'll be happy to help with questions or issues as you have need.