Author Topic: Station webcam improved updating  (Read 15728 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Station webcam improved updating
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 05:59:06 PM »
as of yesterday, all of my webcams sending images to WU are down.  I sent an email but of course,  that circles the circular file cabinet.

Offline halifax

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2017, 06:30:30 AM »
Same here. "Current Cameras" lists both as not active. Blue Iris disagrees.
Davis VP2+, NOAA POES Rx Station, SkyCam, Sandy Brook BrookCam. WU KCTCOLEB1. CWOP N1QVE. CoCoRaHS CT-LT-15. PurpleAir AQM Colebrook, CT.

Offline KeaWeather

• KeaWeather Chennai
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2017, 09:23:29 AM »
Really disappointed to hear about this. Hope they don't stop the same for weather stations as well.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 09:44:03 AM »
Really disappointed to hear about this. Hope they don't stop the same for weather stations as well.

They won't stop accepting data from weather stations, because that is one of the ways that makes them money, by re-selling that data to 3rd parties. They also used to "scrape" the CWOP database for data, although I do not know if they still do this. I still upload to CWOP, but do NOT see my station listed on their map, which is fine.

They also got rid of their NOAA Weather Radio service (here in the U.S.) they had for the last 10+ years because it wasn't making them any money, although I also suspect they have cut their IT staff so much there wasn't anyone left to manage it, IMHO. They also got rid of their photo section, as well. I am not surprised about the webcams.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2017, 09:55:47 AM »
I have stopped caring what WU is doing. I send data. I use their pictures.
Other than that-I cannot really care. 

At least they got me on TV.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline gellenb

• Weather Page
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2017, 09:59:40 AM »
Sad, but no a big surprise.  I sort of figured the cams were next after they dropped the photo's.  It was nice to once in while to look at cams around the country too see what the weather was like elsewhere.  So, now it's time to start looking for a new place to post data.  I saw WBug mentioned, but those folks say it's now run by Earth Networks, and didn't find much of anything there.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2017, 10:02:59 AM »
I am digging as well as  I need a better solution. Macs do not have a large base for stuff like this,  but I did find this for a PC
http://www.deskshare.com/help/wcm/Upload-Media-Files.aspx

Offline RXB2

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2017, 10:19:52 AM »
As an LTAN (Long Term Fire Analyst) on wildfires I would look at WU webcams as part of my intel gathering, and I communicated with several owners about the direction of their webcam view. Being able to see the smoke plume gave good info on fire behavior, wind speed and direction, and atmospheric stability.
Maybe if WU had polled user communities they may have gotten valuable insights into the webcams values that didn't fit on their ROI analysis this time.

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
  • http://www.madrussianweather.com/#
    • Mad Russian
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2017, 10:55:26 AM »
I think it's pretty obvious they only care about things that make them money.

Offline gellenb

• Weather Page
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 12:24:45 PM »
Like a lot of organizations, I don't think they really look at the big picture, just numbers on a piece of paper (or computer screen).  To all of us who send data, and send pictures, there is no real ROI for us.  We don't "make" anything off WU, just some satisfaction of being able to provide that information for the greater good.  Over there years, I think WU forecasting has improved, and some of that must be attributed to all these personal weather stations.   If they keep dropping items the community likes, people like myself will start looking elsewhere.  For them getting my free weather data, that I had to purchase the equipment, and maintain it, all I got in return was the ability to see what's going on at home when I'm not there with the webcam.  I don't think that was asking for much considering the webcams added some value to WU site anyway.  Overall, WU got more from me that I did from them.

So for the moment my data will be with WU until I find another solution, which may be just creating my own site.  For myself, I have the connectivity, servers, power, backups, etc...just not really the time to create my own site.  The real reason I never did, is that I liked the fact that I never just saw my site, but those around me. Who knows, only time will tell as to what I do next.

Offline dcsmith

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 06:41:48 PM »
Looks like they have shut down their FTP Servers.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2017, 08:14:24 PM »
They are taking data however.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2017, 12:00:35 AM »
Another feature bites the dust.  The only reason I upload any data at all is because I still use their radars.  If it wasn't for that, I would have ditched them.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline dcsmith

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2017, 09:53:48 AM »
They are taking data however.

For HTTP cameras, perhaps.  When I test their FTP Servers, I get constant login failures.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2017, 12:02:54 PM »
Since they aren't taking my Bloomsky pictures, I disabled that device from uploading any data.  Almost 2 years ago, I changed my station ID just in order to get webcam showing up for my site.

What's weird is I tried going back to my old login from 2 years ago where I was uploading my Davis data.  They've deleted that account!  I was uploading to that account for 10 years.  I thought it would be nice to resume my old ID.  Guess not.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2017, 03:03:54 PM »
I quit uploading images from my four webcams and added the following to the WU status for my station.

"It has come to my attention that WU is discontinuing the webcam feature as of December 15, so I have discontinued uploading images. Anyone wanting to see live weather, can go to my website (markbobier.weebly.com) for live feed of all four cameras."

I will continue to upload weather data to WU.

Mark
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2017, 06:38:25 PM »
Ok, adding gasoline to the fire.  :-)
Open up WunderMap, then only select Webcams and view some of the images. My personal opinion is that there are a lot of non weather related images and real time videos and folks are using it as a free home security service.
Might one of the reasons WU is abandoning this service.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline dcsmith

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2017, 06:40:25 PM »
somewhere on the WU webcam signup page there was a statement that the images needed to be "weather related".  I guess WU can't afford to police the images.

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
  • http://www.madrussianweather.com/#
    • Mad Russian
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2017, 10:01:05 PM »
I mentioned this to them years ago, it seemed like there were more traffic cams then weather related ones. I agree there are a lot of cameras that have nothing to do with the weather accept maybe when you could see their driveway get wet then you new it was raining.

Ok, adding gasoline to the fire.  :-)
Open up WunderMap, then only select Webcams and view some of the images. My personal opinion is that there are a lot of non weather related images and real time videos and folks are using it as a free home security service.
Might one of the reasons WU is abandoning this service.

Offline Soweather

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2017, 09:07:53 PM »
Any other weather sites like Weathercloud contemplating live cam views?  I've got 4 systems I've invested in cameras on. (And no, they aren't looking at driveways.)   Frankly, I'm pissed.   I'll probably stop uploading weather data to Weatherunderground as revenge.

Offline Soweather

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2017, 12:01:16 AM »
I say we all stop sending data.

I may want to look into Weather Bug.

Weather Bug hosts webcams? 

Maybe I'll shut down my PWS data uploads to WU the same day they pull the webcams.

Amen.   I've got 5 stations I'm responsible for, and in places they aren't going to be replicated.  Pull the data.  No webcam; no data.

Offline dcsmith

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 05:30:28 PM »
I stopped uploading to WU yesterday, the day they sent out the email stating their intentions.

:-(

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2017, 05:39:36 PM »
This is what you always have to expect when you decide to rely on a third-party service offered with absolutely no guarantees.

Offline dcsmith

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2017, 06:02:00 PM »
When I started back in 2004, I thought it was a fair trade.  They get to use my data and I can view others data.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 06:35:48 PM »
I stopped uploading to WU yesterday, the day they sent out the email stating their intentions.

:-(

I think that's next to go. Maybe within the year the PWS data side gets the axe. Nothing official just a hunch. It takes lots of server bandwidth to receive data from 10's of 1000's every second and bottom line I don't think they are making money off PWS. What some thought might be the saviour of WU after IBM take over has turned into just the opposite.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:37:52 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy