Author Topic: New ws2813 humidity won't go above 82%  (Read 4311 times)

Offline LeeWx

New ws2813 humidity won't go above 82%
« on: June 28, 2017, 02:05:24 AM »
Purchased this new station a couple months ago and the humidity will not read above 82% even in heavy fog. Is there any remedy for this other than getting another thermohygro sensor? Contacted lacrosse support and was just told to use new batts and restart. Their guarantee States I send faulty one to them and pay shipping of which they either send refurbished or new replacement. I would be out of pocket plus without my up and running station for awhile with that condition.

Offline westhillman

Re: New ws2813 humidity won't go above 82%
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 12:19:02 PM »
I have had experience of three of these units, and I have never seen the humidity any higher than 90%. I think it is simply a feature of these instruments, although 82% does seem especially bad.

Offline LeeWx

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 04:54:27 PM »
Uggh! not good at all. They're listed specs are, 1-99%.  I have owned a ws2310 and 2317 and they both were on the money with the humidity. In fact, they worked good for several years and the 2310(about 7 years use) was still working when I retired them for my Davis. The 2317 developed main unit probs.

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 05:41:19 PM »
My 2813 has gone as high as 96% and as low as 5%.
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 08:52:33 PM »
Purchased this new station a couple months ago and the humidity will not read above 82% even in heavy fog. Is there any remedy for this other than getting another thermohygro sensor? Contacted lacrosse support and was just told to use new batts and restart. Their guarantee States I send faulty one to them and pay shipping of which they either send refurbished or new replacement. I would be out of pocket plus without my up and running station for awhile with that condition.

Mine have read from around 10% to 98% Outdoor Humidity (<30%RH extremely rare here, usual is 60-90+%). Don't think I've ever seen 100% in a fog. Most recent some ~96% with Hurricane Harvey close by.
Per the CWOP/MADIS quals the whole system is and has been, pretty well in line with their comparables, pretty accurate.
Overall, I've liked the system, except for a few quirks. But the sync process can be aggravating, but not every time...

Original outdoor T/H/hub unit went bad after about 18 months (the humidity), ordered a replacement and it's still going.
The anemometer lost sync a couple months ago, couldn't get it to run again (suspect battery corrosion, will try to fix).
Bought a whole WS2813 refurb'd system as it was cheaper than buying more parts regularly, so far so good. Conclude reliability could be better.
I suspect intermittent RFI on the console to PC USB link (lots of stray RF here :] ), but it's not practical ATT to troubleshoot.

The HeavyWeather and WUHU software is solid, has a lot of settings and options if you dig around.
Guess it's too simple for the purists, but it gets by. May eventually upgrade to something fancier, but no hurry (that D brand seems to have it's own set of 'quirks and probs')  ;).

You'd think somebody could design and produce a bulletproof system for a reasonable cost today.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 09:51:12 PM »
May eventually upgrade to something fancier, but no hurry (that D brand seems to have it's own set of 'quirks and probs')  ;).
Maybe, but still no comparison, not even close. There's more problems listed in just this thread alone than I've experienced in 10+ years of owning my VP2.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 10:36:35 PM »
May eventually upgrade to something fancier, but no hurry (that D brand seems to have it's own set of 'quirks and probs')  ;).
Maybe, but still no comparison, not even close. There's more problems listed in just this thread alone than I've experienced in 10+ years of owning my VP2.

I'll tend to agree. Have no idea of the numbers of installed units of each type to users posting here, so samples might be skewed. Sure seems to be a lot of Davis stuff though. Sure, certainly better quality than the mass LaCrosse stuff.
But LC does work OK for the basics, and I'm stubborn enough to fix it when necessary, others probably just toss it.
I like just looking at the readings and building the history for this now storm-tossed place. The WX is getting worse, I've never experienced the extremes of the last few years, lots of damage caused I never had before (and since the place was built, half again before). Like a 120mph derecho some years ago that destroyed an outbuilding (lifted and carried 200 yards) and peeled west-facing thick lead tile roof flashings back (did tremendous countywide damage).

Would like a top drawer unit, but it's the old economic tradeoff dilemma. Next time, maybe a Davis or maybe something like like those other top ones being discussed. Would really like a solar insolation/UV sensor, etc.
But a good bit of the ol' 'disposable inc' the last decade went into a nice boat that I don't even know if it still exists yet (thkUvrymchHarvey... USOB), instead of other things; only so much to go around, priorities and all.  :shock:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 11:16:11 PM »
Being that I bought my wireless, 24hr FARS VP2 new in 2007 for ~$575, an incredible deal at that time, I really have little choice not to be a fan boy. Ten years of flawless service, other than the poor fan motors, which is easily fixed, it's an absolute no brainer. 58 bucks a year, and that's not just the construction, the superior sensors, update interval, are icing on the cake. Are there better, of course, but for what I spent.... =D&gt;

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »
Being that I bought my wireless, 24hr FARS VP2 new in 2007 for ~$575, an incredible deal at that time, I really have little choice not to be a fan boy. Ten years of flawless service, other than the poor fan motors, which is easily fixed, it's an absolute no brainer. 58 bucks a year, and that's not just the construction, the superior sensors, update interval, are icing on the cake. Are there better, of course, but for what I spent.... =D&gt;

No doubt that was a deal, short and long term. I guess the "better" ones are pretty much pro units.

RE: Your "update interval", if you mean capability to upload online, that's a real sore spot with me. Due to many mostly political factors, decent internet service is an impossibility in my rural area (and most other US ones).
Many third-world countries have superior IP services than we do. There's absolutely no comparison to all the first-world countries, we are so far behind competitively.
I've been waiting (and bugging the telco) for even basic DSL service for 2 decades (and DSL is a pretty much long obsolete service now; I was in the biz).

As far as the system internal speeds, this LC WS2813 updates the console about every 20sec (IIRC), and can be set for a 1 minute online upload speed, I use a 5 min interval simply to better accommodate my effen connection and data cap.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 03:56:01 PM »
RE: Your "update interval", if you mean capability to upload online, that's a real sore spot with me.
No, I was referring to the 2.5 second update from the anny and 10 seconds for temp/dew/humidity to the console. However, I understand your grief too.

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 04:19:55 PM »

No doubt that was a deal, short and long term. I guess the "better" ones are pretty much pro units.

RE: Your "update interval", if you mean capability to upload online, that's a real sore spot with me. Due to many mostly political factors, decent internet service is an impossibility in my rural area (and most other US ones).
Many third-world countries have superior IP services than we do. There's absolutely no comparison to all the first-world countries, we are so far behind competitively.
I've been waiting (and bugging the telco) for even basic DSL service for 2 decades (and DSL is a pretty much long obsolete service now; I was in the biz).

As far as the system internal speeds, this LC WS2813 updates the console about every 20sec (IIRC), and can be set for a 1 minute online upload speed, I use a 5 min interval simply to better accommodate my effen connection and data cap.

The 2813 updates every 14 seconds. I purchased mine from Costco at the end of 2011. I had installed all the instruments on the chimney -- the anemometer on a pole about 10 feet above the roofline, the rain bucket on a shelf a few feet below the anemometer on the same pole, and the temp/humidity sensor in a radiation shield screwed into the side of the wooden chimney housing. The unit crapped out completely in 2013. I suspected batteries. Last February, I decided to try to revive the unit after 4 years of inactivity. I assumed I would see serious corrosion but, to my surprise, there was very little. I took everything off the roof to clean and inspect. Fresh batteries was all the rain and temp sensors needed. I replaced the rechargeable batteries in the anemometer, cleaned the corrosion, and carefully put back together. Success! I relocated the rain and temp sensors to the fence.

I would say my data is fairly accurate. I took the steps to make sure I could do what I could with inferior equipment. For a while, my CWOP rating was 100% for all four categories. I currently sit at 99% for three and 97% for the other, the temperature. I am pretty satisfied. I have a Davis unit on my radar sometime down the line. I will get all the bells and whistles. I really like the rapid fire updates on WU, so I will have to figure out how to make that happen (Meteobridge). I think Lacrosse gets a bad rap more than they should. You can make it as accurate as you want if you put enough effort into it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 04:21:30 PM by jcookjr82 »

Offline LeeWx

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 10:22:33 PM »
I guess I just got a "dud" t/h unit as most 2800 series units are pretty accurate. Temperature and wind however,are accurate with mine.
 I could send t/h unit to LC for replacement but, shipping costs make it just not worth it. Better to just get one off ebay and not have to wait to get station back up and going.

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 01:59:13 PM »
UPDATE: My 2813 T/H sensor hit 99% humidity this morning (foggy conditions). I have never seen it that high. The timing is odd, because I plan on putting my new Davis Vue unit live later this afternoon (it showed 100% humidity this morning). It's been a great run, but since my post on September 3, the anemometer and rain gauge have quit working on my 2813 unit. I tried everything to revive it a second time, but it just was not going to work. I have only high remarks for LaCrosse.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:31:21 PM by jcookjr82 »

anything