Author Topic: Who Is Using R M Young Weather Equipment?  (Read 8922 times)

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Who Is Using R M Young Weather Equipment?
« on: October 13, 2008, 06:03:21 PM »
Does anyone have R M Young wind sensors or rain gauges in use? 
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
Re: Who Is Using R M Young Weather Equipment?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 06:30:31 PM »
I wish I did. :-)  I'd like to construct a wx station using RM Young and other sensors such as Texas Instruments rain gage..etc. It would not be cheap however and I'm guessing I'd need a datalogger as well.
Bill

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 02:49:16 PM »
I have an RM Young 05103 wind monitor connected to a Davis VP2.  They're available on the surplus market for a reasonable price.  The RMY is very sensitive to wind speeds.  The RMY wind speed start threshold is much lower than the Davis anemometer and the direction is likewise.  I have a RMY 50202 (siphon) precipitation gauge connected to a Basic Stamp 2 converting the analog voltage to inches of accumulated rain.  The rain gauge is a WaterLog H-340 connected to the Davis VP2.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline bwh13

• precip enthusiast
  • installing te-525 in the woods
    • my homepage
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 11:26:51 AM »
i recently purchased an r m young 50202 siphon rain gage.  i am looking for some examples to hook it up to a datalogger.  i have experience with campbell sci loggers, but haven't found any programming examples yet. 
i noted that you have connected yours to a basic stamp, and am very interested in your methods if you would be willing to share.
i am a grad student in the pacific northwest, and among other things, am studying the spatio-temporal variation in precipitation.  i've a network of ~4 tipping buckets and ~3 bulk catch gages in a small watershed.  i am just waiting for it to rain.
looking forward to hearing from you.
brian

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 07:39:56 PM »
I have an RM Young 05103 wind monitor connected to a Davis VP2. 

Didn't realize you could do that. Now you've got me thinking... :-k  Thanks much for the info.
Bill

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 10:54:45 AM »
I have an RM Young 05103 wind monitor connected to a Davis VP2. 

Didn't realize you could do that. Now you've got me thinking... :-k  Thanks much for the info.

The RMY outputs an analog sine wave whose voltage and frequency is determined by wind speed.  The Davis VP is looking for switch closure as the anemometer cups rotate.  Not compatible, so I built a converter.  I put a lot of time and money into this project, so a partner will market the device or a kit.  I won't use this forum to market the device.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 04:10:19 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.
Bill

Offline EvilGenius

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 02:18:57 AM »
From where does one obtain instructions for interfacing a Young wind sensor to a VP or VP2?

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 04:07:37 AM »
Well, if you're planning to use a compatible RMY anemometer then there's always the official Davis interface part, but only for as long as stocks last - it's now a discontinued item I believe. See:

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06336
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 10:07:10 AM »
I'm using RM Young wind monitor 05103, tracker 06201, rain gauge and aspirated radiation shields.
Meteorological Technician
NWS Certified Aviation Weather Observer
B.S. Meteorology

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 09:32:02 AM »
So if I understand this the RM young tipping bucket rain gauge can be made to work with the Davis ISS and console? Is this correct and if so how are they wired? I think the Davis red wire goes to reed switch and yellow and green go to the other switch, black wire is cut off.
Any further information on this subject and old thread, thanks.
Randy

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 09:56:20 AM »
The red wire goes to one side of the RMY output, the green is connected to the yellow and they tie to the other RMY output.  Just be sure that you have the inches or mm version that you prefer.
This connection is the same for other brands of tipping bucket rain gauges, such as NovaLynx, Met One, WaterLog, etc.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:07:11 AM by wxtech »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 10:11:55 AM »
You have the connections right.  Just be sure that you have the inches or mm version that you prefer.

Thanks for the reply, how would you rate accuracy with all the available tipping buckets including the NovaLynx you may be familiar with or tested including the Davis version. I'm also wondering out loud would a heated $785  RM Young be worth having over a heated Davis. Are the high end versions going to work better with snowfall less evaporation etc.
Randy

Offline PRAT

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 06:41:08 PM »
Didn't want to start a new thread, hopefully an easy question...I am switching weather stations and have pretty much settled on an RM young setup.  For those of you that have them, what is the easiest/best setup to send the data to the web?  Can it be done software only or does it require a physical data logger?  Hopefully not too vague.
Thanks!

Offline PRAT

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 02:41:54 PM »
^^ Never mind!   I'm currently neck deep in learning about user instructions and serial buffers.