Author Topic: Data Upload Problem......ULISPALD2  (Read 6532 times)

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
Data Upload Problem......ULISPALD2
« on: September 09, 2008, 05:00:31 AM »
Hi Joe it's me again. Over the past couple of weeks my uploads have been very consistent, except for last Sunday when I only managed one.
That was when I first started my computer at 9:15 am. Nothing else for the rest of the day, and neither was my station on the map.

A complete mystery why I get the odd day when I get very little or even no data uploads.

I wonder if anyone else has any idea why this should be?

Regards.

Alan. (ULISPALD2)
Alan

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
Re: Data Upload Problem......ULISPALD2
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 06:55:13 AM »
Addendum to my earlier post. Yesterday (Monday) was fine. Today is exactly the same as Sunday, only one upload.

I have my uploads set for every 15 minutes.
Alan

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 12:11:27 PM »
I'm still very puzzled by this.  I'm wondering if something is timing out on days the Internet is running a bit slow, or possibly a DNS issue since it seems to happen in groups of good days and groups of bad days.  Very strange!  I don't remember having an issue like this before... usually it works or it doesn't, not come and go.   :?

If you're comfortable with a minor change to the Windows hosts file we may be able to eliminate if its a DNS resolution issue.  It involves putting the IP address and host name for a couple of our servers in a file so there's no need for your computer to go out and find them.  Let me know if you'd like to try this.
Joe Torsitano

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 07:35:36 AM »
Joe. I too am very puzzled by what is happening with my station. The data seems back to normal again at the time of posting, except that my station isn't on your map.

You may recall from one of my emails that this problem has only materialised since I upgraded from VWS 13 to 14 at the beginning of August, which I had to do because 13 didn't support my new station a WMR-200.

What is more confusing is that none of the other websites I feed with data are affected, IE Wunderground, Weather Exchange,or CWOP.

You mention making a change to Windows host file, that sounds painful. :? What exactly is involved?

Alan.
Alan

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 01:06:34 PM »
You mention making a change to Windows host file, that sounds painful. :? What exactly is involved?
Not painful at all.  I do it a few times a week when I'm doing server testing.  It involves adding a couple lines to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts so it doesn't have to do DNS lookups from your Internet provider.  But if you're not totally comfortable with it I completely understand.

You may recall from one of my emails that this problem has only materialised since I upgraded from VWS 13 to 14 at the beginning of August, which I had to do because 13 didn't support my new station a WMR-200.
I do recall that.  And you're not the only one that's had problems with v14.  Only difference is I haven't heard others where the problem is intermittent... it either works or doesn't and usually if you just let it sit for a couple days it starts working and keeps working.

Very strange!   :?
Joe Torsitano

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 06:48:53 AM »
Today nothing again. I am unable to gain access to your website, I get a message saying ERROR (HTTP 404 NOT FOUND).

I think I shall have to take your advise and carry out the minor changes to the Windows host file. If you would explain exactly what I need to do, bearing in mind that my computer skills are very limited.  :oops:

Alan.
Alan

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 11:44:33 AM »
VERY strange you'd be getting a 404 error.  At any rate, I'll e-mail you the instructions.
Joe Torsitano