Author Topic: Ideas on what to do next  (Read 8001 times)

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
Ideas on what to do next
« on: January 03, 2012, 08:38:08 PM »
It's been a few years since the last major change to PWSweather.com.  While we're not anticipating as many sweeping changes as the last one, we still want to know where to go to next.  What should be added?  Anything need to be changed?  I saw the thread about WeatherBug ideas and we'd like some, too.  We've been doing it for 13 years now and have changed as new ideas came, but we haven't had any suggestions in quite a while.  I know we're not perfect and the few of us who run the system can't have all the ideas.  :D  So let us know!

Thanks!
Joe Torsitano

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
Re: Ideas on what to do next
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 09:11:27 PM »
13 years! Congratulations!

Myself and a few others are still holding out for solar/UV data to be incorporated sometime in the near future, as mentioned in another suggestion thread. Tabular readings and a graph, or maybe even gauges?

Keep up the good work! 
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Myself and a few others are still holding out for solar/UV data to be incorporated sometime in the near future, as mentioned in another suggestion thread. Tabular readings and a graph, or maybe even gauges?
Most software is sending solar/UV data to us now so we can look at adding it again.  Thanks for the reminder.
Joe Torsitano

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:20:42 AM »
I too strongly support UV/solar. I think it's a good idea. Another thing I would like is an Iphone, Itouch or Ipad app. Something I also like is a live display. I hate having to hit the refresh button to update to the current information. Another thing would be cool is interactive graphs. You move the curser over a dot on the graph and it displays that data value. I heard from someone that PWS data is recieved in the same format as Wunderground does. If so I would also like to send current conditions like CLR (clear), OVC (overcast), BKN (broken), SCT (scattered clouds) the same way you would to Wunderground. And a weather cam feature. I don't personally use a weather cam but alot of those who do might like it.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 02:20:01 AM »
If so I would also like to send current conditions like CLR (clear), OVC (overcast), BKN (broken), SCT (scattered clouds) the same way you would to Wunderground
that should info should already being sent, if its set to be sent to WU
(might depend on what software you are using)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 01:43:49 PM »
I would also like to send current conditions like CLR (clear), OVC (overcast), BKN (broken), SCT (scattered clouds)
That is a function of the software.  I know VWS and Weather Display do, not sure about the others.  We've been able to utilize that data since the beginning.  And in our case the sky conditions from the personal weather stations are actually used on WeatherForYou.com for the local conditions (except when they're not available, then we use the closest station's sky conditions).  The sky conditions are also in the XML and regular data feeds of the personal weather station data.
Joe Torsitano

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 08:20:52 PM »
I think I'm missing something. Not shure about VWS but Weather Display uses solar/UV data to get sky conditions which is absolutly useless at night. Right now the forecast page says clear which is right but after sundown the solar % drops to 0 and WD makes sky conditions off of this. So while the page says clear and it is actually clear, WD reports overcast or OVC. So what's on the forecast page isn't coming from us. But I could be overlooking something.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 09:58:14 PM »
In my use of Weather Display the conditions sent were either manually set (in the respective service's section in WD) or could be set to use the sky conditions from the closest METAR station.  I wasn't aware of any ability to use the solar/UV data (which wouldn't work in my case since I don't have a solar/UV sensor).  I almost always set it manually in the PWSweather section.
Joe Torsitano

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 06:12:19 PM »
  Anything need to be changed? 

The rainfall data has (had?) always been 'odd' (my data is sent using VWS).
I see that it now seems to be showing correctly in the 'Details' table, but doesn't appear in the 'Summary' table.

Two examples.
0.03" on this date http://www.pwsweather.com/archivewx.php?id=DW1039&d=20120102
0.43" on this date http://www.pwsweather.com/archivewx.php?id=DW1039&d=20110825

The precipitation graph ('Trends') shows correctly, but if I select 'View the detailed graph' it doesn't show.

Everything else looks great,
Mike

PS - I need to change "(Daytime Fan Aspirated)" to "(Fan Aspirated)" in the 'Station Type'.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 08:54:44 PM »
Send webcam images?

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline K4KMG

• Contributor
    • K4KMG.com
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 02:44:35 PM »
A little something that would be helpful. I live in SC. When I want to see the weather in my hometown, where the rest of the family is located, wu caches my recent searches and displays them. I don't have to type in the zip....just click on Vero.

Living 'Off Grid" in Central Florida. Pics at k4kmg.com

anything