Author Topic: Snow on the Superstitions  (Read 582 times)

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
Snow on the Superstitions
« on: January 02, 2015, 12:18:49 AM »
Some evidence that here in the Valley of the Sun it does occasionally get cold enough that we can get snow if the conditions are right.  This particular storm dropped around 10"-12" up in the higher elevations along the Mogollon Rim and at my location in east Mesa (elev. ~1600') we received a dusting of snow which was had melted away by 8am.  Meanwhile just to the east the Superstition Mountains were getting nicely covered in snow - with a maximum elevation of around 5000' the mountains extended up above the snow line and the result was enough to bring people out in droves with everything from their cell phone cameras to the local news crews with their HD video gear.  I finally made it out around 2pm to get some images, attached is a stitch of six taken with my Canon T3 and the stock 18-55mm lens set at 34mm focal length.  The images were combined in Microsoft ICE and modest sharpening and saturation adjustments were made in Pixinsight. 
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Snow on the Superstitions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 12:21:23 AM »
Very nice  =D>
Randy

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 03:18:13 AM »
+1    I like those horizontal ridges and the snow kind of helps in bringing them out in your picture. =D>
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 03:19:54 AM by DanS »

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 08:10:14 AM »
Kevin

The superstitions are one of my favorites as they are so in my face thank you very much.
Pano weather photography is my favorite and I thank you for the time and efforts in sharing.
Very nice photograph - thanks again!

Randall