Author Topic: Acu-Rite Professional Weather Center 01010 Installation  (Read 28850 times)

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Acu-Rite Professional Weather Center 01010 Installation
« on: July 16, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »
I bought an Acu-Rite Professional Weather Center model #01010 from Walmart.  July 15, 2011.  First, I opened the box and read the manual (image DSCN2980wr.jpg).  Unpacking and set up.  Needed a miniature Phillips screwdriver to remove 2 screws holding the display unit to cardboard packing.   The integrated sensor unit requires 4 AA batteries, not included.  The display console requires 3 AA batteries, not included.
The display console has no connection for an AC power adapter.  I don't see a backlight.
The anemometer seems to have a very low speed threshold (this is excellent)!  The anemometer cups rotate inside the room with only room air currents.
More later- Al
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: Acu-Rite Professional Weather Center 01010 Installation
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 11:06:04 AM »

The rain funnel has a nice debris screen that locks in place.  See images DSCN2984wr.jpg & DSCN2985wr.jpg.
The integrated sensor unit mounts with the included adapter post to a horizontal or vertical plate.  I mounted it to a 1" outside diameter PVC pipe. 
Transmit distance is published as 330 feet, 100 meters.  It transmits on 433 MHz
Specs and installation later -
Al
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Gulfcoast

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 11:16:27 AM »
My #01015 (same unit with clear plastic border) has a backlight... it turns on by touching a little "sensor" at the top of the console, in the center. Not sure about the 01010 though.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 11:44:31 AM »
This 01010 console is not a touch screen.
Product facts from the manual:
Measurement ranges
Outdoor temp = -40ºF to 158ºF
Outdoor hum  = 1% to 99%
Wind speed = 0 to 99mph
Wind direction indicators 16 points
Rainfall 0 to 99.99 in
Indoor temp = 32ºF to 122ºF
Indoor hum = 16% to 98%
wireless range 330ft / 100 meters max
units can be switched to metric
sensor - console transmit option A-B-C (3 frequencies)
Next, mounting on the mast.

Offline Gulfcoast

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 11:49:58 AM »
Mine is not a touch screen either, but it has a tiny touch sensor (the eye can barely see) at the top center of the housing, not on the screen. :grin:

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 12:04:52 PM »
I mounted the sensor to a 1 inch outside diameter PVC pipe instead of using the Acu-Rite mounting adapter.  I adapted the 1" pipe to a larger pipe which fits into a 2" PVC tee on my mast.  PVC parts are fastened with #8 pan head 1/2" screws instead of glue.  Nothing is permanent here, I need to be able to disassemble and make changes.
The internal aspirator fan began to run as soon as the unit got into sunlight.  The anemometer and vane tracks with a Davis anemometer/vane that is at about 24' height.  Wind speed/direction updates less often than the Davis VP2.
Screws and plastic anchors were included in the package for mounting options.
I will add a wired aspirated Davis VP2 physically close to the Acu-Rite sensor.  I will calibrate both system temperature measurements to the National Weather Service Maximum Minimum Temperature System.
I'll calibrate then start manually gathering data for comparison @ 7 AM Monday, July 18.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »
   Boy that sounds like a nice unit.  Features I would not expect.  And again we see Acu-rite going to -40*F.  Interested to see your results starting Monday.
   Mark

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 12:24:31 PM »
I want to emphasize that this weather center, model # 01010, does not have a computer connection.  Stand alone.  No AC power option, batteries only.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 05:50:45 PM »
On Monday, 18 July, 7 AM, I'm starting a comparison of
  • Acu-Rite Professional Weather Center model # 01010
  • Davis wired aspirated VP2 with Davis rain gauge and anemometer
  • Davis wireless non-aspirated VP2+ with Waterlog H-340 rain gauge and R M Young wind monitor
  • NWS standard 8" rain gauge
  • CoCoRaHS 4" Professional Rain Gauge/NWS 4" rain gauge
  • Modified 4" Stratus rain gauge (13.5" tall funnel)
  • Fischer-Porter weighing rain gauge
I will list the normal NWS & CoCoRaHS daily report items: daily max temp, daily min temp, temp @ 7 am, 24 hour precipitation.
What other wx data do you wish to see in the comparison report?
daily max wind speed, 7 AM baro press, 7 AM dew point,

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 06:55:29 PM »
Looks like Chaney/Acu-rite has been following Wx enthusiasts comments by reading some spec's in the manual. Temp/humidity calibration adjustable at the console, RF transmission range/level indicator between the outdoor unit and the console. Nice added touches!

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 11:10:23 AM »
I haven't started recording the data yet, but I'm watching the Acu-Rite console next to the NWS console.  They're both tracking temperatures within a few tenths of a degree from this morning's low of 66ºF to 79ºF now.
I'll be recording these data items from 3 electronic weather stations and 3 additional manual rain gauges beginning 18 July.
24 hour max temp | 24 hour min temp | 24 hour max wind speed |24 hour precipitation | temp @ 7 AM EST | baro pressure @ 7 AM EST | dew point @ 7 AM EST |heat index @ 7 AM EST Monthly data from the Fischer-Porter rain gauge will be added to the end of the test results.
Lexington Weather Station, LXTG1, CoCoRaHS GA-OG-1, KGALEXIN1, CW-2074 http://www.lexingtonwx.com/
Al

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 09:42:39 PM »
The Davis VP2 wired aspirated ISS won't be back on the pole for the first day data.  I just got the radiation shield plates out of the dishwasher Sunday PM.  I'll have the ISS reassembled and start calibrating it to the NWS MMTS early Monday morning. 

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 07:21:11 AM »
First daily comparison of several weather systems at the weather station in Downtown Lexington, Ga.
SYSTEM | MAX TEMP | MIN TEMP | 24 HR RAIN | MAX WIND | 7 AM TEMP | 7 AM BARO | 7 AM DEW PT
MMTS    | 88.2         | 66.4         |                                  |    67.5
Acu-Rite | 90            |  66          |      0         |     11        |    67         |   29.97      |    65
VP2+      |  89.3        |  65.6        |     0          |     9         |    66.9       |   30.01      |   63
SRG        |                                 |     0          |
4" PRO     |                                 |     0          |
4" MOD    |                                 |     0          |
MMTS is National Weather Service Max/Min Temp System, Acu-Rite 01010 Weather Center, VP2+ wireless non-aspirated, NWS 8" standard rain gauge, 4" PRO CoCoRaHS rain gauge, 4" MODIFIED funnel extended.
Report covers 24 hour period 7 AM, 17 July to 7 AM 18 July.
Pictures later.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 07:23:22 AM by wxtech »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 07:34:43 AM »
Looking pretty good initially. Question with the max temps., are all three with sunshine on the temp sensor shields at this time? You probably mentioned this already but is the MMTS temp probe in an aspirated shield like the other 2 systems are?
Thanks for the report. Interesting to read.
Dan

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 07:38:17 AM »
The National Weather Service Max/Min Temperature System is not aspirated.  The VP2+ is non aspirated.  All are in full sun.  Temp sensors are within 3 feet of each other laterally and approximately 70 inches above a grass surface.
I will add another VP2 aspirated system to the comparison today.
Last chance to suggest changes in this test.  I will try using this chart for daily data.
http://www.lexingtonwx.com/comparison.htm
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:21:15 AM by wxtech »

Offline justin470

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 08:00:47 PM »
It looks like you are running a great test.

I look forward to seeing your data. I think it will be very helpful to lots of us to see how the stations/sensors compare.

Justin

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »
The 30 day comparison results will be posted here:
http://www.lexingtonwx.com/comparison.htm

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 07:24:23 AM »
The second comparison is here: http://www.lexingtonwx.com/comparison.htm  All comparisons will be on the same page.
Al

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »
Al, didn't you have a VP2 aspirated on the charts previously that you added this past Monday? I was watching it to see how the fans did side by side.

Dan

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »
Al, didn't you have a VP2 aspirated on the charts previously that you added this past Monday? I was watching it to see how the fans did side by side.

Dan

I think that VP2 console has expired, died.  The console is blank.  I may convert the outside sensors to a VP original wireless model and use the aspirator in 24 hour or daylight mode.  I have a bucket of Davis parts and rebuild systems into various configurations.
Al

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 08:11:50 AM »
My compliments to Chaney & Acu-Rite for producing a quality wx station at an affordable price.
I have much confidence in the data that I'm reading from the Acu-Rite #01010 with the 5N1 integrated sensor.  ($99 from Walmart)
The week comparison of data from 3 automated wx systems and 3 manual rain gauges are here:  http://www.lexingtonwx.com/comparison.htm  This comparison will continue through 17 August.
I'm careful reading and entering the daily comparison data.  I must remember to read daily data before midnight because the dailys will be lost.  This morning the MMTS max temp looked wrong comparing with the Acu-Rite and the VP2+.  I double checked and found that I'd recorded the MMTS previous day's high as yesterday's high.  It's good to have several wx systems to rely on.
Rhino says that the 5N1 sensor batteries and the console batteries should last about 2 years, depending on quality of batteries used.  There is no AC power option on the #01010 console.  Other consoles are more exotic.  BTW, the 5N1 sensors are compatible with several of their console models.  Also, Rhino says that the weather bridge will send data from the 5N1 to a home network for your computer connection.
I made a -.04 baro correction to the VP2+ to bring it closer to the QC data in CWOP.  This will also bring the VP2+ baro reading closer to the Acu-Rite.  This change will show in tomorrow's comparison.
When you get your Acu-Rite at Wallyworld, pick up batteries also (batteries not included).
I'm working on connecting a Peet Ultimeter Pro ( http://www.peetbros.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=14 ) drop counting rain gauge to a Davis VP(original).  Maybe I'll have the VP system on the pole today and I hope it'll be the Peet measuring the rain we're expecting today.
The Peet already measures rain to a resolution of 0.001".  I hope to modify it to read rain to 0.001" to be an early indication of when the rain started.
Enjoy,  Al
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:25:38 AM by wxtech »

Offline Gulfcoast

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 09:06:40 AM »
Very nice report wxtech... I knew you would get good results on your Acu-Rite tests. I've had their #01015 weather station for several months now and well pleased with it too.

I can't wait until the new Acu-Rite #01025 stations comes out... it will have the USB connection that everyone wants.

Several guys on another forum told me how accurate their 8" RainWise rain gauge is, reading very close to a CoCoRaHS gauge every time it rains. Thanks for the Peet Bros. gauge link also.

http://acuriteweatherstation.com/acu-rite-01025-professional-wireless-weather-center

Offline Gulfcoast

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 09:30:13 AM »
Question wxtech...  can the Peet rain gauge be connected to a Davis ISS?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 09:35:09 AM by Gulfcoast »

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 09:41:33 AM »
Quick answer: no  
I know -  I can't do that.  It isn't compatible.  On quick try, I get 12 tips per update of the ISS.  It isn't interfaced yet, but it will be soon.  
The Peet Ultimeter Pro forms the rain catch to drops and counts them.  1 drop = 0.001".  It divides the counts by 10 and outputs a pulse equaling 1 pulse for every 0.01" of rain.  The pulse isn't what the Davis wishes to see.  I want to further modify the Peet so that it'll read the drop counts and report each to the Davis as 0.001" of rain.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 10:28:20 AM by wxtech »

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 09:01:30 AM »
During the first two weeks of the comparison, the rain yesterday provided enough data for a comparison.  NWS 8 inch SRG=0.23", Acu-Rite=0.24", Davis/Waterlog=0.21", CoCoRaHS 4 inch plastic=0.22".  http://www.lexingtonwx.com/comparison.htm
The Acu-Rite temperatures are almost the same as the Davis VP2 and the NWS max/min temperature system.
The Chaney/Acu-Rite @ $99 from Walmart is providing the same rainfall, temperature, humidity, wind speed, wind direction and barometric pressure as the Davis at ten times the cost.  This is comparing at the hotest time.  It'll be intersting to see what happens during cooler times and heavier rains.
This Acu-Rite 01010 is a stand alone model with no provision for computer connection or AC power.  The 5-N-1 sensor has other options.
The aspirated Davis VP original model was removed from the comparison due to connection problems.  The Peet rain sensor is being modified for connection to another data logger.