Author Topic: Budget Weather Station for UK  (Read 3444 times)

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
Budget Weather Station for UK
« on: August 28, 2018, 09:06:43 PM »
A friend of mine in the UK who was a frequent contributor to the WeatherBug Community Blog emailed me a link to this weather station and was wondering if this would be a decent budget weather station to use in the UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C9MFO58?ref%5F=cm%5Fsw%5Fem%5Fr%5Fdp%5Fdz%5FU%5F7JqHBb8PJA1AT%5Flm&pldnSite=1

He's seen Davis stations, but they're a bit out of his price range at the moment. He'd like to get started with a budget model to get the feel for sending data from his weather station to the Internet.

Here are my questions:

1. Has anyone heard of these? Are they good or not? I've never worked with this brand, so I'm not 100% sure.

2. It shows it can publish to WU. Can it also publish to CWOP (that way we could see his data at EN)? Can it also publish to the UK Met Office WOW (since he's in the UK, that'd be a good option for him as well)?

3. Are there any other recommendations in this price range that he should compare it with?

Thanks!
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Budget Weather Station for UK
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 09:49:31 PM »
Nope don't get that one. That is outdated technology.

This is the new stuff:

Misol Weather Station:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/MISOL-Wireless-weathercloud-wunderground-weatherbug/dp/B07DKZSF6D/

Froggit Weather Station:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Profi-weather-station-Froggit-WH3000/dp/B06X6JPJ6Q/

Profi Weather Station
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X6JPJ6Q/

1. Yes I"ve heard of all of these (including the old one you mentioned). They are Fine Offset clones. The new one I linked is impressive.

2. Yes these new ones should publish to WU, WeatherCloud, and Met Office WOW. BUT READ CAREFULLY...maybe one of these the manufacture didn't include all cloud services, so check it out to be sure. If you want to publish to CWOP you'll need some extra hardware. You'll need an ObserverIP (UK version with 433 MHz...so one by Aercus probably will work). And then you'll need a Meteobridge. That is that easiest way but not the only way. There is a way to publish to CWOP with just the Aercus (or clone like ObserverIP) and a PC but you'll need to do WU network traffic redirection and then send via WeeWx software.

3. See my recommendations above. You can compare those and read about it here if you search for WS-2902A (or WS-2902 a previous version) which is the Ambient Weather US version. In the US according to analysis I did on WU stations registered it is the fastest growing model for a while now. It isn't perfect. But I'm happy with it, at least till something better comes out like a VP3.

Now you could also get this Aercus model which comes with the ObsererIP device. I don't know what they call it. But the outdoor sensor array that comes with this station is also sort of a previous generation even though still a current model...its been out longer.

Aercus Weather Station
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZVFZUS6/

So not recommending that one so much. But it could be cheaper in the long run because of the ObserverIP is included and then you only need the Meteobridge (or do the network redirection trick and run PC software like WeeWx). I don't know if they sell separately the network adapter ObserverIP (with indoor pressure/temp/hum sensor...you'll need that too for any model you want to expand). I don't see it separately listed on Amazon UK. So you may want to reach out to Aercus and see if they will sell you that separately. Shame that Aercus doesn't sell the new version of like those others I recommended. Remember all of these are Fine Offset clones.

NOTE: Be mindful that WeeWx is Linux software. Lots of people run it on a RaspberryPi.

If I lived in the UK what I would do is buy one of the 3 I recommended. Then I would also buy the Aercus (assuming they don't sell the ObserverIP and indoor press/hum/temp sensor separately). Then I would list the Aercus outdoor sensor array on eBay or something and keep the indoor stuff to connect with the newer outdoor array from the other company. Then you recover some of the cost of the Aercus by selling that part as new. I'm sure the Aercus outdoor sensor array will sell easy because those break a lot after a few years and there are tons of people that want a replacement cheap instead of buying a whole new station. And those Aercus sold like crazy and were very popular. So right about now there are tons of people with broken Aercus looking for replacements.

Other thing to realize about the Aercus is that there is no display console. But if you get both and sell the Aercus outdoor sensor then you end up with a display console and with the ObserverIP and indoor sensor and it all works together. You can buy extra display consoles too...as many as you want...if you find someone that sells them separately. What you can't do is mix the UK version brand with US versions brand..because US uses 915 MHz and UK uses 433 MHz frequency bands. So okay to read about the Ambient WS-2902A and the ObserverIP to learn about it all but don't buy the Ambient brand for UK use.

The build quality of the newer model I recommended looks much better in many regards. The sensor are more accurate and precise. It really is a bit better quality stuff. Big improvement. I think it will last longer than the older models. It looks nicer too.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:28:15 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 10:33:29 PM »
Sounds great. Thanks for the info! I will pass it onto him.
Nathan Parker

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 10:52:14 PM »
Please reply back what he finds out.

1. Like which one did he pick and why

2. If he was interested in the Aercus ObserverIP device and indoor sensor was he able to buy them separately?

3. Any other information presale and first use...as I would like to hear from more UK people on those brands. I don't know anything about dealing with those brands and would like to know which seems better than the others.

I tried replicating my analysis of WU weather stations in use in the UK but WU does not publish that user base like they do the US stations.
I think what we need to find is a UK forum where all those people hang out and see what they are talking about and sharing.

Tele-Pole

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 11:34:44 PM »
Please reply back what he finds out.

1. Like which one did he pick and why

2. If he was interested in the Aercus ObserverIP device and indoor sensor was he able to buy them separately?

3. Any other information presale and first use...as I would like to hear from more UK people on those brands. I don't know anything about dealing with those brands and would like to know which seems better than the others.

I tried replicating my analysis of WU weather stations in use in the UK but WU does not publish that user base like they do the US stations.
I think what we need to find is a UK forum where all those people hang out and see what they are talking about and sharing.

Will do!
Nathan Parker

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 10:33:23 PM »
He has written back asking me about this one. What's your thoughts on this model? Too similar to the other model he originally sent?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZVFZUS6/?coliid=I31VZ959ZNXMFT&colid=2HUSEI1JCAGXZ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks!
Nathan Parker

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 10:51:24 PM »
I mentioned that one, Aercus, and the pros on cons of it. See my long recommendations post above and read paragraphs right after bullet point 3. That is the only way I know of to get the Aercus ObserverIP device that is compatible with the newer outdoor sensors. Unless Aercus will sell you the ObserverIP device separately. Carefully reread my post, as I kept mentioning this Aercus.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 10:56:40 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 11:43:25 PM »
I mentioned that one, Aercus, and the pros on cons of it. See my long recommendations post above and read paragraphs right after bullet point 3. That is the only way I know of to get the Aercus ObserverIP device that is compatible with the newer outdoor sensors. Unless Aercus will sell you the ObserverIP device separately. Carefully reread my post, as I kept mentioning this Aercus.

I thought this was the one you mentioned. Let me re-send your post to him to let him know.
Nathan Parker

Offline martini

• Doune-Knoydart
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 12:24:10 PM »
Hi Galfert. Many thanks for your advice. I purchased the following based on your suggestion https://www.amazon.co.uk/MISOL-Wireless-weathercloud-wunderground-weatherbug/dp/B07DKZSF6D/ . It seems excellent quality and value. Easy to install and I've got it set up sending data to Wunderground and Weathercloud without any problems.

I bought this station to replace a Davis Vantage Pro which had reached the end of its life. The MISOL seems every bit as good and is so much cheaper. There must be a catch!

If I understand your original post above correctly, it should be possible to capture the MISOL sensor data directly so you can log and display it using your own weather station software? Is that correct? If so, could you give me some pointers as to how I might do that?

Many thanks.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 04:42:15 PM »
The Misol is every bit as good as the Davis VP?  Okkkaaayyyy....
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 05:02:17 PM »
Hi Galfert. Many thanks for your advice. I purchased the following based on your suggestion https://www.amazon.co.uk/MISOL-Wireless-weathercloud-wunderground-weatherbug/dp/B07DKZSF6D/ . It seems excellent quality and value. Easy to install and I've got it set up sending data to Wunderground and Weathercloud without any problems.

Good deal. It should also be able to connect to WOW (I think) which is popular in the UK.

I bought this station to replace a Davis Vantage Pro which had reached the end of its life. The MISOL seems every bit as good and is so much cheaper. There must be a catch!

Was it a Vantage Pro 1 or Vantage Pro 2 that you had? Compared to the current and aging Vantage Pro 2 the Fine Offset clone does not have as good of a temperature and humidity sensor (SHT31 vs. SHT30). Also the Vantage Pro line has separate components instead of all in one design of Fine Offset clone so there is a compromise between higher winds and proper rain gauge and temperature/humidity height. The Vantage Pro line also transmits much further to the console. Also long life durability may not be as good with Fine Offset clone. But the whole outdoor sensor can be replaced many times over without approaching VP2 price. Those are the big differentiators but there is more. On the plus side the Fine Offset clones have come a long way, are fully featured and this latest generation is well regarded. With the Davis VP2 console looking very dated, the newest Fine Offset stations are very appealing to some. So there are pros and cons going either way.

If I understand your original post above correctly, it should be possible to capture the MISOL sensor data directly so you can log and display it using your own weather station software? Is that correct? If so, could you give me some pointers as to how I might do that?

Take a look at this thread where I listed various methods of expanding the Fine Offset clones. In your case instead of an ObserverIP (915 MHz) you'll need the Aercus sender device that operates at 433 MHz to match your outdoor sensor array (Method 1). But you can also follow one of the methods that does not require the ObserverIP like device and instead captures the Weather Underground packets from the local network (Method 2 and 2.5). These methods explained here:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34922.0
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 05:25:35 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline martini

• Doune-Knoydart
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 11:32:17 AM »
Many thanks for your helpful response. Sorry for my delayed acknowledgement but I've been away for a few days.

Thanks for your tips about interfacing. I'll follow those up and see how I get on.

Reference your other comments..

Good deal. It should also be able to connect to WOW (I think) which is popular in the UK.
Yes, they do have an option to connect to the MetOffice WOW service. I'll have a look at that.

Was it a Vantage Pro 1 or Vantage Pro 2 that you had? Compared ..

It was an old Vantage Pro 1. It was mounted in a position that made it difficult to service regularly. Price was a big factor in deciding to replace it with the Misol - the Davis instruments are relatively expensive here in the UK - and it is not a critical application. I note your comments about sensor accuracy and the limitations of the all-in-one design.  I'm expecting the rain sensor to be pretty inaccurate (the rain is mostly horizontal here!).

Offline masaccio

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 02:29:02 AM »
3. See my recommendations above. You can compare those and read about it here if you search for WS-2902A (or WS-2902 a previous version) which is the Ambient Weather US version.

Coming to this rather late compared to the OP, but hunting for a weather station for the UK.

Is there any reason why the WS-2902A would not work well in the UK? Plenty of people will ship them here.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 06:19:20 AM »
3. See my recommendations above. You can compare those and read about it here if you search for WS-2902A (or WS-2902 a previous version) which is the Ambient Weather US version.

Coming to this rather late compared to the OP, but hunting for a weather station for the UK.

Is there any reason why the WS-2902A would not work well in the UK? Plenty of people will ship them here.

You wouldn't want the Ambient version if you are in the UK because you might have problems (interference) with it as it is configured to run on 915 MHz instead of 433 MHz. It might or not be trouble for the Ambient but it could be trouble for something else you own. Not to mention it would probably be breaking some kind of broadcasting law (who knows what kind of legal trouble you could be in) so you could be the one causing interference to other services in your country. I don't know what but it could be first responders, TV, radio, cellular, or whatever else. Different countries have different frequencies set aside for different purposes. Not to mention that if you have a warranty problem then you are SOL.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 06:21:18 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything