Author Topic: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100  (Read 139279 times)

Offline keckec

Re: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100
« Reply #450 on: November 18, 2014, 09:07:10 AM »
These are for with and without using a proxy.

Can you think of another way to look for a firewall problem?

I've thought about another test using an ethernet crossover cable to connect the gateway directly to the skyspy pc and let the pc get internet connectivity via wireless. i'm sure it's more involved than just plugging in a cable though.

Could you copy and paste all the info from the GW's web page into a reply to this thread, or post a screen shot. Or if you'd rather, send it in a PM to me. I want to check the rest of the fields.  Thanks.
I think the problem is the proxy server name field doesn't have enough numbers in the IP.

Offline flamand

« Reply #451 on: November 18, 2014, 09:02:22 PM »
I think the problem is the proxy server name field doesn't have enough numbers in the IP.

Good old user error. I have "looked" at that screen so many times over the past couple of weeks and cannot believe I missed it. Weather Underground is getting data now and I couldn't be happier.

Thank you so very much!!!

Offline keckec

« Reply #452 on: November 18, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »

Good old user error. I have "looked" at that screen so many times over the past couple of weeks and cannot believe I missed it. Weather Underground is getting data now and I couldn't be happier.

Thank you so very much!!!
Glad it's working. I can't tell you how many times I've done that sort of thing.

Offline KennKong

« Reply #453 on: November 19, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »
We Central Floridians got our first "cold snap" of the year last night.  It got down to 39 F, giving me the first real opportunity to examine the wind chill numbers in the sensor data packets (nybble offset 111, length 3).  Although winds were quite light (< 3 mph, gusts to 7), there should have been some difference between the current outside temp (offset 75, length 3) but there wasn't.  Can anyone confirm that their station is outputting a wind chill less than the outside temp?

Update: My research into how wind chill is calculated shows that calculations aren't valid for wind speeds less than 3 mph (NOAA Wind Chill Chart).  However, I checked my data and found a few data points above 3.  Of course, I have no idea what calculations LaCrosse is performing.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:31:03 PM by KennKong »

Offline keckec

« Reply #454 on: November 19, 2014, 07:27:10 PM »
We Central Floridians got our first "cold snap" of the year last night.  It got down to 39 F, giving me the first real opportunity to examine the wind chill numbers in the sensor data packets (nybble offset 111, length 3).  Although winds were quite light (< 3 mph, gusts to 7), there should have been some difference between the current outside temp (offset 75, length 3) but there wasn't.  Can anyone confirm that their station is outputting a wind chill less than the outside temp?

Update: My research into how wind chill is calculated shows that calculations aren't valid for wind speeds less than 3 mph (NOAA Wind Chill Chart).  However, I checked my data and found a few data points above 3.  Of course, I have no idea what calculations LaCrosse is performing.

I originally found this field by doing a check through all my collected station packets, looking at the difference between current outside temp at offset 75 and the (then unknown) value at offset 111. I found the value at 111 was lower only when it was both windy and cold, and never higher than the outside temp. I didn't do any calculations on the values, and it could be something else.

Offline KennKong

« Reply #455 on: November 20, 2014, 04:40:12 PM »
I originally found this field by doing a check through all my collected station packets, looking at the difference between current outside temp at offset 75 and the (then unknown) value at offset 111. I found the value at 111 was lower only when it was both windy and cold, and never higher than the outside temp. I didn't do any calculations on the values, and it could be something else.
Your climate is much more likely to experience wind chill than mine, but I'll keep an eye on it this winter.  Last winter was extremely mild even by Central Florida standards.  As I recall, it only dropped below 40 F for a few days. I haven't tried to find the long range forecast for this winter, but I certainly don't want one like we had in 1982-3 just to check the functionality of my weather station.

Offline KennKong

« Reply #456 on: November 26, 2014, 05:45:07 PM »
I finally got a wind chill value less than the outside temperature, but it doesn't agree with either the old or new formulas from the NOAA page.  At 6:41 a.m., the outside temp was 56.7 F, with a wind of 9 mph, and the station reported a wind chill of 53.2 F.  The NOAA formulas aren't even valid above 50 F.  Nonetheless, the old formula yielded 50.1, while the new formula yielded 54.6.

I need to convert the formulas to deg C and kph, and test them with the raw data packet values.

The good news is the station does report a wind chill under some circumstances.  How those values compare with accepted formulas remains to be investigated.

Offline spork

« Reply #457 on: January 07, 2015, 01:15:30 AM »
Howdy all.  I'm new here and I hope it's appropriate to ask for help on this existing thread.

I have a LaCrosse C84612 and I just got it setup and talking to the LaCrosse cloud.  But I'd really like for it to be talking to WX-Underground.  So I downloaded SkySpy and installed it (version 1.1.0.177).    I have both the SkySpy Monitor and SkySpy service running.  Per the SkySpy User's Manual I also ran the Gateway advanced setup.  As far as I know it ran correctly.  It came up with a bunch of numbers in all the boxes.  It seems to have found my LaCrosse gateway.  So I copied the PC-IP address into the "Use" field, made sure it was set for port 8000, and clicked the "Use" box.  I then clicked the "Set" button, waited a few seconds, clicked "Reboot", and closed the GAS.  I did not see any sort of activity when I clicked "Set" or "Reboot".  Not sure if this is normal.

But... I don't see any activity on the SkySpy monitor.  If I understand correctly I should be seeing Service Debug Info records every 30 seconds or so - right?  Unfortunately I can't find any info on what to do if that data is not updating.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

I'll warn you in advance - I'm smart enough to hit the buttons you tell me to - and report the results - but I'm no expert when it comes to IT network kind of stuff.

Thanks.

Offline spork

« Reply #458 on: January 07, 2015, 02:40:03 AM »
I  tried some things based on what I found in this thread.  Here's the update...

- I made sure my windows firewall has SkySpy as an exception.
- I checked that my PC's IP address is in fact the one I entered into the "Use" box on GAS.
- I tried disabling "Microsoft Security Essentials"...

It does not seem to be updating the LaCrosse website any more.  Is this because SkySpy intercepts the data?

I am running Windows 7

The PC-IP I get is 192.168.1.64  This seems to be the IP of the laptop I'm running SkySpy on.
   When I point a browser at that IP address I get my "WiRNS" page (a utility for talking to my ReplayTV).
   The "Actual IP" shown in GAS is 192.168.1.71   When I point a browser at that IP address I get the data shown in the attachment below.

"Have you tried opening port 8000 to all traffic in the firewall on the spysky machine?"  Not yet.  Without
   a spotter that's above my pay-grade.  I have tried looking at the settings for my wireless router and it
   does indicate that its firewall is active.  My LaCrosse gateway device is currently plugged directly into my
   wireless router.

As above - any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #459 on: January 07, 2015, 01:07:24 PM »
I  tried some things based on what I found in this thread.  Here's the update...

Spork,

You may have SkySpy set to use a non-existent external MySQL database.  Please make sure you select "Use Embedded MySQL" in the SkySpy Monitor setup form.

Once you have SkySpy up and running, your weather data will no longer appear on the LaCrosse web site.  It will appear on Weather Underground if you have the correct WU password and Station ID set up in SkySpy Monitor.

It does not seem to be updating the LaCrosse website any more.  Is this because SkySpy intercepts the data?

Actually, it doesn't update because you have reconfigured your weather station to report to SkySpy instead of Lacrosse, using GAS.

The PC-IP I get is 192.168.1.64  This seems to be the IP of the laptop I'm running SkySpy on.
When I point a browser at that IP address I get my "WiRNS" page (a utility for talking to my ReplayTV).

Don't forget to use the correct port 8000 number in the URL.  Something like (lurkers: don't click the links in the URLs below - they will NOT work):

http://192.168.1.64:8000

That should work from any PC on your home LAN, as long as SkySpy Service is running on 192.168.1.64.  If you are sitting at the PC running SkySpy Service, then you can use:

http://localhost:8000

to view your tabular weather data.  Localhost means "the IP address of the machine I am sitting at"

If you do not add the 8000 part to the URL, your browser will default to port 80.  This is not what you want and will probably show some other web site.

The "Actual IP" shown in GAS is 192.168.1.71   When I point a browser at that IP address I get the data shown in the attachment below.

Ignore the "Actual IP".  It is not useful.

So, make sure you are using Embedded mode and write me back if you are still having problems.

Best regards,

Kevin

Offline spork

« Reply #460 on: January 07, 2015, 01:45:18 PM »
Thanks very much for the response.  When I added the ":8000" that solved that problem.  I now see the attached when I point my browser to that address.

And each time I do point my browser to that address I get one record of activity in the SkySpy monitor - as in the 2nd attachment.

I feel certain I selected "embedded" but now I can't even find where that setting would be.  Take a peek at the remaining attachments if you would to see what my UI looks like with each of the "home", "tools", "settings", and "help" tabs selected.  It seems like I'm missing stuff under "tools" and "settings".

Offline spork

« Reply #461 on: January 07, 2015, 01:46:13 PM »
I hit the limit on attachments.  Here are the other two tabs...

Thanks again for your help.

Offline spork

« Reply #462 on: January 07, 2015, 02:04:29 PM »
So I pretty clearly messed up my ribbon somehow.  Last night I did see all the normal icons - today I don't.  I uninstalled SkySpy monitor and re-installed just now.  Still no luck.  Then I tried customizing the ribbon.  I found some of the settings that were missing but they now appear under a new tab "RibbonTab1".  I do have "embedded" checked.  If you can tell me how to do a "factory reset" on SkySpy I'll do that.

Still no activity reports though.

Thanks for your patience.

Offline spork

« Reply #463 on: January 07, 2015, 02:30:30 PM »
I think I've managed to reconfigure my ribbon properly.  I do have "embedded" checked - but still not activity except when I open a browser window to http://localhost:8000 (in which case I get one activity record).

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #464 on: January 07, 2015, 05:24:22 PM »
Thanks very much for the response.  When I added the ":8000" that solved that problem.  I now see the attached when I point my browser to that address.

Good!  We are making progress.  This shows that your SkySpy Service is running properly in the background, but is not recording weather samples.

And each time I do point my browser to that address I get one record of activity in the SkySpy monitor - as in the 2nd attachment.

Yes, Monitor should show a GET request each time you open your browser on the "mini web page" or refresh it.

I will answer your other questions on their respective posts.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #465 on: January 07, 2015, 05:28:17 PM »
So I pretty clearly messed up my ribbon somehow.  Last night I did see all the normal icons - today I don't.  I uninstalled SkySpy monitor and re-installed just now.  Still no luck.  Then I tried customizing the ribbon.  I found some of the settings that were missing but they now appear under a new tab "RibbonTab1".  I do have "embedded" checked.  If you can tell me how to do a "factory reset" on SkySpy I'll do that.

You somehow figured out a way to trash your Monitor registry entry.   :grin:

The ribbon configuration (or lack thereof) is stored in the Windows Registry.  It sounds like you have unsnarled it if you can now see your ribbon buttons.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #466 on: January 07, 2015, 05:34:43 PM »
I think I've managed to reconfigure my ribbon properly.  I do have "embedded" checked - but still not activity except when I open a browser window to http://localhost:8000 (in which case I get one activity record).

Are you sure that you have GAS set up to send data to your IP (proxy settings)?  In an earlier post you mentioned that you were playing with GAS again.

Hint:  Once you have GAS set up to use your PC as a proxy, then you should never touch it again.  Do not reset your Internet Gateway module either by pushing its button.

Offline spork

« Reply #467 on: January 07, 2015, 05:57:34 PM »
Quote from: skydvrz
You somehow figured out a way to trash your Monitor registry entry.

Yes.  I had been messing with the "Configure ribbon" button on SkySpy monitor.  On the one hand I don't want to mess things up beyond repair, but on the other hand I hate to be the guy asking for help without having tried everything I can first.  I also hate being the guy that says "it doesn't work - what should I do?".  So I'm trying to provide as much info as I can.

For what it's worth - I had not messed with the registry to mess it up.  I'm pretty sure I did all that damage with the "configure ribbon" button.  I did look at the registry this morning because I assumed the settings must be stored there if a re-install didn't fix it.  But I still didn't mess with the registry directly.  I'm pretty sure I've got it straightened out with the "configure ribbon" button.

Are you sure that you have GAS set up to send data to your IP (proxy settings)?

Unfortunately when you use words like "proxy" I start getting out of my element.  I'm not *sure* but I think I have it set correctly.  I'm not at home at the moment so I can't do a screen grab from GAS - but taking an image out of your doc I can tell you what I have.

In the box marked PC-IP I have 192.168.1.64.  If I drop down the box I have some other address, but when I select it most of the other boxes go blank.  I also like the 192.168.1.64 address because it shows the proper serial number for my LaCrosse gateway.

So I copied that address into the "use" box at the very bottom.  I have both "Use DHCP" and "Use" checked.  I have 8000 in the "Port" box.

Generally speaking I have it looking pretty much like it does in your doc.  I hit "Set", waited a few seconds, and hit "Reboot".

In an earlier post you mentioned that you were playing with GAS again.

Yes.  I understand that it's supposed to be "set it and forget it", but I've been messing with it a fair bit since I haven't been able to see data coming across.  Do I need to start fresh somehow?

Do not reset your Internet Gateway module either by pushing its button.

I would not swear to it - but I don't think I've reset the Gateway since I got it talking to the LaCrosse site last night.  That being said - that claim is somewhat suspect since it has not updated the Lacrosse site since 9:43p last night.  I understand it won't update LaCrosse when SkySpy is running - but I left the system up and my laptop running SkySpy is 20 miles away at the moment.  So I would guess it would go back to updating LaCrosse(?)

Thanks again.

Offline spork

« Reply #468 on: January 07, 2015, 09:01:48 PM »
Now that I'm home I'm able to capture a screen grab from the Gateway Advanced Setup.  The first image shows the exact configuration I see when I hit Set and then Reboot.

The second grab shows the alternate PC-IP in the drop-down box.  But you can see that everything else is either blank or zero when I select that - so I don't.

I hope this is of some help.  I'm kind of tempted to re-register to the LaCrosse site since I may have messed that up - but I think I'll wait to hear from you before making a bigger mess.

Thanks again.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #469 on: January 07, 2015, 09:58:05 PM »
Now that I'm home I'm able to capture a screen grab from the Gateway Advanced Setup.  The first image shows the exact configuration I see when I hit Set and then Reboot.

That looks good.  Don't change anything on the gateway module or GAS.

The second grab shows the alternate PC-IP in the drop-down box.  But you can see that everything else is either blank or zero when I select that - so I don't.

You can ignore that one too.  You may have a second network port on your PC that you are not using - this is probably it.

Do you have another PC on your LAN that you can try a test on?

Try to enter the full IP address URL (not the localhost one) into a browser from another PC on your LAN.  If your network is not blocking port 8000, then you should see the mini-web site in the browser.   This test will not work if you are not on-site, unless you do some heroic stuff with your router.

I hope this is of some help.  I'm kind of tempted to re-register to the LaCrosse site since I may have messed that up - but I think I'll wait to hear from you before making a bigger mess.

Don't do that - you'll just waste trouble shooting time.  You will remain "registered" with them forever.  Nothing SkySpy does changes that. 

SkySpy is a "clone" of the LaCrosse web server.  GAS simply redirects your weather station Gateway module to send its data to the SkySpy PC and the SkySpy Service instead of LaCrosse.  SkySpy then fakes out the Gateway module into thinking it is talking to LaCrosse by mimicking all the chit-chat that LaCrosse uses to retrieve your weather data.

So in a nutshell, "registration" has no meaning for SkySpy, since there are no revenue protection issues like LaCrosse has.  They want to verify that you have a valid account with them.  SkySpy is free and doesn't care about any of that stuff.

You do have to configure SkySpy with your current registration number issued by LaCrosse.  This number will change each time you "re-register", so don't re-register!  If you use the wrong registration number, SkySpy and the Gateway will jabber to one another continuously, your weather station wall display clock will start to drift, and the "Internet" indicator next to the time of day numbers will shut off.

If you have already re-registered, make sure you use the 7FFFxxxxxxxx number that was last issued by LaCrosse.  This number is stored/refreshed in your Gateway module each time you re-register.

I explain in the manual about how you go about retrieving your 7FFFxxxxxxxxxxxx number from LaCrosse.

I hope this makes sense!

One other thing... Can you email me your SkySpy.ini file, found in C:\ProgramData\SkySpyData

You can send it to me at

skyspyATidk-inc.com

Replace AT with the appropriate character for email addresses.

If you are paranoid, you can replace your passwords with xxxxxx in the INI file before you send it to me but don't touch anything else!  Use Notepad or some other simple text editor.  Do not use a word processor!

Best regards,

Kevin

Offline spork

« Reply #470 on: January 07, 2015, 10:16:58 PM »
Thanks very much.  I'm going to do that test right now from my wife's laptop.

I just checked the 7fff number on the LaCrosse site.  It still matches the one I have in SkySpy monitor.

I'll send you the .ini file right after I try the test.

Rick C.

Offline spork

« Reply #471 on: January 07, 2015, 10:30:29 PM »
OK - I just sent you the .ini file and ran the suggested test from my wife's laptop.  She is on the same wireless router as me - so I assume that means she's on the same LAN.  She got "website not found" when we entered: http://192.168.1.64:8000

I'm betting the problem is becoming obvious now to everyone but me.

Thanks again.

Offline rockhopper

« Reply #472 on: January 08, 2015, 02:09:46 PM »
Hi all! Was curious about doing the same thing, capturing the LaCrosse data without using their server, when I stumbled upon page 1 of this thread a couple days ago. I've read through the whole thing with great interest, and I've looked at some of the software you all have developed.

I've got pretty extensive background in programming, so first thing I've got to say is I'm quite impressed with all you've done, especially all the time skydvrz must have spent about a year ago puzzling out the messages sent back and forth between the gateway and the server!  =D&gt; Well done.

So... I'm curious if anyone has solved the very first question on the thread: getting this all to work with the TX60U-IT temperature/humidity sensor. I've got a couple of those, not the weather station.

The package with the TX60U-IT includes the same GW1000U gateway that you've been using with the weather station, so I imagine the conversation between it and the server must be very similar. Tried skyspy (and some error log messages from yesterday were coming from me, skydvrz, so safe to ignore those), but realized quickly that it won't work with the TX60U-IT. The "7FFF" registration numbers for the weather station are "0001" numbers for the TX60U units. So unless someone else has already explored that difference, looks like that's where I'd have to start investigating. But I assume that there will be many more similarities than differences.

I'm also very interested in hearing how far the Linux variations have gotten. It looks like three different versions have gotten off the ground? In the long run, I'd like to get a PHP or Python version running on a cloud server, but I also have no qualms about working via the Windows version while puzzling out the protocols.

Much thanks to you all for all the work that's already been put into this!

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #473 on: January 08, 2015, 07:17:03 PM »
Rockhopper,

There is nothing special about the 7FFF number assigned by LaCrosse.  Whatever you type in to SkySpy is used to handshake with the Gateway.  Try it and find out.

Offline rockhopper

« Reply #474 on: January 08, 2015, 07:25:15 PM »
Hmm. I seem to recall that when I tried the "0001" value yesterday, skyspy came back with an error message stating that it required 16 digits (ok) and it had to start with "7FFF".
Will double-check that.

I'll also check the INI file to see if I can bypass the error message that way.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:41:40 PM by rockhopper »

anything