Author Topic: Atlas display problem ?  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
Atlas display problem ?
« on: October 07, 2019, 06:43:50 PM »
Since I have had my Atlas and it's new touch screen display it shows " rain " in the future forecast ? Is there a setting I'm missing that needs to be twerked ? Here's today screen shot and it looks like this everyday . Any help would be appreciate !!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Atlas display problem ?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 06:57:00 PM »
I've never put much stock into single-point forecasts.

You might try calibrating the humidity down on the display and see if that has any impact on the rain forecast.  That's how they did it in the MyBackyardWeather days.  Of course, your displayed humidity will then be terribly wrong.

Acurite is moving towards third-party (Darksky) generated forecasts for displays with WiFi capability.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 06:58:50 PM »
I've never put much stock into single-point forecasts.

You might try calibrating the humidity down on the display and see if that has any impact on the rain forecast.  That's how they did it in the MyBackyardWeather days.  Of course, your displayed humidity will then be terribly wrong.

Acurite is moving towards third-party (Darksky) generated forecasts for displays with WiFi capability.

Thanks if you don't know then I'm sure there is no fix . Once again thanks !!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 07:23:36 PM »
It's based roughly on the Zambretti forecasters.

https://w4krl.com/zambretti-forecaster/

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 09:17:44 PM »
You need to adjust the barometer. I assume it isn't set right... ?

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 09:26:20 PM »
You need to adjust the barometer. I assume it isn't set right... ?

Nope I have no idea how to do that .

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 09:37:48 PM »
Forget what I said about humidity.  I just noticed you only have a humidity of 7%, so there's no point in adjusting that.

To adjust the pressure, go to the display's menu and press the calibrate button.  Then select the indoor display, then use the up/down arrows to get to "pressure".  From there you can make adjustments.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 09:40:28 PM »
Also, note you're not getting a good signal to the display as it is showing only one bar.  You should retain full bars on the display... otherwise you're losing data.

That won't have any impact on the forecast issue, though.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 09:42:27 PM »
Forget what I said about humidity.  I just noticed you only have a humidity of 7%, so there's no point in adjusting that.

To adjust the pressure, go to the display's menu and press the calibrate button.  Then select the indoor display, then use the up/down arrows to get to "pressure".  From there you can make adjustments.

Should I try moving up or down to start ? Do you go to full numbers or just .10 at a time ?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 09:55:05 PM »
A quick look at your neighboring stations shows you probably aren't far off.  Bring it up about 0.2" and see if anything changes.

Assuming you have myAcurite set for "adjusted" pressure based on your elevation, you might want to adjust it so they match (your Access and display each have their own barometer).

I kind of doubt the adjustment will impact the forecast, though.  The forecasting isn't tuned to particular regions like some of the 5n1 displays are.  In short, it doesn't know you live in a semi-arid climate.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 09:58:11 PM »
You'll likely have to wait a while before inferring if it did anything or not.  If you increase the pressure by .2, it might take that as sharp increase in pressure, and thus fair weather.  It might take a few hours before an accurate trend is re-established.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 10:00:06 PM »
A quick look at your neighboring stations shows you probably aren't far off.  Bring it up about 0.2" and see if anything changes.

Assuming you have myAcurite set for "adjusted" pressure based on your elevation, you might want to adjust it so they match (your Access and display each have their own barometer).

I kind of doubt the adjustment will impact the forecast, though.  The forecasting isn't tuned to particular regions like some of the 5n1 displays are.  In short, it doesn't know you live in a semi-arid climate.

Thanks again for the help I moved it up .20 on my display and yes my Access is set to Adjusted Pressure . I moved it up .20 just to see what happens

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 08:26:20 AM »
If the pressure is falling, most times mine will show rain. It's a built in algorithm that changes the weather icon by how rapidly the pressure goes up or down from what I have observed on mine.

Offline giveme5

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 08:13:05 PM »
Since I have had my Atlas and it's new touch screen display it shows " rain " in the future forecast ? Is there a setting I'm missing that needs to be twerked ? Here's today screen shot and it looks like this everyday . Any help would be appreciate !!

The forecast algorithm this display uses is useless in regions where daily pressure changes are significant ie arid areas of south-west. Here we have daily changes as much as 0.3 inches, all without significant weather change, for months at the time.

So, just ignore the weather forecast on your display.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 08:53:27 PM »

The forecast algorithm this display uses is useless in regions where daily pressure changes are significant ie arid areas of south-west. Here we have daily changes as much as 0.3 inches, all without significant weather change, for months at the time.

So, just ignore the weather forecast on your display.
I can completely agree with this, however, the 0.3" diurnal spread is a little extreme in my experience. Regardless, all this is thanks to the thermal low that develops over the Yuma region in the summer and drops the daily pressure simply from heat causing bone dry air to rise.

Offline giveme5

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 09:27:36 PM »
the 0.3" diurnal spread is a little extreme in my experience.

Apologies for not being more precise. 0.3" drop is not every day, average is closer to 0.1" (still a lot).
With 0.2" to 0.3" drop we usually get 5 degrees or more cooler temps. No rain though, unless it's wet season.

And as you've said, low humidity and rapid heating during the day, 9 months out of a year.