Author Topic: Java 8 blocking a lot of Boltek sites  (Read 2095 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Java 8 blocking a lot of Boltek sites
« on: February 08, 2015, 03:54:37 PM »
Because these "updates" are relentlessly pushed, I have lost the ability to access a lot of Boltek sites that use the older Storm Vue. The NGX is OK.

For a while I could view sites using IE, but even that no longer works. (like FF and Chrome)

It seems that a lot of Boltek owners are going to have their data rendered unviewable.

The old "fix" was to reduce the security settings on Java to "medium" but that is no longer supported.

Anyone have some kind of work-around?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Java 8 blocking a lot of Boltek sites
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 06:37:06 PM »
I'd dropped the Java-based control for the StormVueNGX system a while back.  It uses Flash instead, but.. Adobe issued 3 critical patches in the last 2 weeks for zero-day exploits in the wild, so even Flash's days may be numbered.  Something with JavaScript+SVG+HTML5 would be a good replacement from Astrogenics.  Unfortunately, JavaScript/SVG/HTML5 can't be 'privatized' and if they want to continue selling StormVueNGX, they may have to adopt a different business model (Open Source?).

Nevertheless, Blitzortung is going to give them (Boltek/Astrogenics) some good competition, especially with the pre-assembled BLUE system.

So, no work-around for older sites using Java as yet except to have them upgrade to StormVueNGX.

Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 02:07:14 PM »
I just tried some Boltek-based sites using Stormvue-1.5 on my SuSE Linux box with Firefox. It works with the "Iced-Tea" plug-in (Java substitute) after answering the usual set of prompts.

At least I still have a way to view them if needed.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 03:27:10 PM »
Same thing sort of happened with the Dlink webcams.  Dlink has patched it though.  Not sure what you can do to effectively replace Java.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything