Author Topic: Drought in the southeast...  (Read 588 times)

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Drought in the southeast...
« on: November 14, 2016, 09:33:08 PM »
Looks like we're in for more dry weather in Dixie.  Beeweather states it's be 47 days without rain, though it's closer to 50 if you ignore the two .01 traces we had at the very beginning of this dry spell.  I know that many of you live in very arid, dry conditions but south Alabama isn't normally like this.  Normally it's so humid down here I can carve a slab of it off, wrap it, and mail it to homesick friends who are away from home.  Lot's of things are wilted, dead...lots of trees dropping leaves and *not* from it being autumn.  Farmers have started in earnest feeding hay already.  Thankfully we haven't had big-time wildfires down here though there has been a few smaller ones.  Critters are beginning to seek water wherever they can find it...I'm thinking about putting out a large trough for the deer...gotta keep'em hydrated for the freezer. ;)  The last time I recall it being this dry was back in 1999, the year my father died.

Humidity right now at 8:30pm is 69% and dropping...normally is well above that and rising this time of the night.  And, there's no rain predicted for the next seven days...it's dry.

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: Drought in the southeast...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 05:44:58 AM »
It's about the same here in north central Florida. Last good rain was Hurricane Mathew but that was the beginning of October. Just .04 since then.
The bad news is a La Nina is forcasted  for this winter so things should only get worse.
My friend in western North Carolina is all set to evacuate. Most of the towns around him the order has already come down.
Could be a bad fire season this year.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 07:24:37 AM »
After having been so wet for much of the Summer, we're bone dry now.  Burn bans in effect.  Maybe an inch of rain in two months, maybe less.  Got a quick dust settler overnight, but not much more.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 07:57:41 AM »
Today makes 30 days with no rain in SWFL. But than we normally only get a couple inches of rain a month in the dry season.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 09:46:15 AM »
After having 11.04" of rain in August, I have recorded only 3.27" of rain since September 1st in my CoCoRaHS rain gauge here in Central Arkansas. I am approximately -6.71" below my normal rainfall. All of Arkansas is either in the moderate or high category of wildfire danger. There are 15 counties, out of 75 that are under a burn ban currently. I expect that number to increase rapidly over the next week without some substantial rainfall.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

anything