Author Topic: Summer '16  (Read 18731 times)

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
Re: Summer '16
« Reply #225 on: August 15, 2016, 04:35:37 PM »
4th consecutive wet summer

Yes, until you note how rarely it happens here, if ever. :)

Then it becomes quite significant, because these years are really going to affect the 30 year normals figures as they add up.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:38:10 PM by WXman »
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #226 on: August 15, 2016, 05:29:06 PM »
I live in the Ohio Valley region and we're in the 4th consecutive wet summer. 

Check this page:  http://www.weather.gov/pah/WetAugust2016

There has been more rain since, so the record is probably done for.

As far as Winter goes, I've said it a million times, I'll take a foot of snow instead of an inch of ice every time!!  I hate snow with a passion, but as least it doesn't generally do significant damage.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #227 on: August 18, 2016, 04:08:24 AM »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #228 on: August 18, 2016, 11:30:17 AM »
I live in the Ohio Valley region and we're in the 4th consecutive wet summer. 

Check this page:  http://www.weather.gov/pah/WetAugust2016

There has been more rain since, so the record is probably done for.

As far as Winter goes, I've said it a million times, I'll take a foot of snow instead of an inch of ice every time!!  I hate snow with a passion, but as least it doesn't generally do significant damage.

What's interesting about that is that 6 of the 10 wettest summers on that list have happened in my lifetime, and the others all happened since 1950.  Hmmm...

My college girlfriend was from that area and when I started going down that way to visit I was amazed at how flat the terrain was.  Extreme western KY is like Kansas.  And they also don't handle lots of water very well.  It's a very flood prone area.  These wet summers are hard on those people.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #229 on: August 19, 2016, 10:16:07 PM »

I am definitely ready for that.  Just got done with a big home project (new windows installed) and now smaller projects (trim painting around said windows).  It's supposed to rain some this weekend however it should be much cooler.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #230 on: September 02, 2016, 02:37:43 PM »
August 2016 was a very wet and warm month for much of the area. Numerous locations recorded their wettest August on record over parts of southern IL and southeast MO, but also here in Paducah, KY. Rainfall totals ranged from 5 to 12 inches over a good portion of the region, with some isolated higher totals upwards of 17”! Typically August is one of the driest months of the year with normal precipitation around 3 inches for the month. August 2016 was far from normal though, with amounts ranging from 200 to 500% above normal in many spots. In contrast, some locations in the Evansville Tri-State Area saw near normal precipitation. As far as temperatures, they were generally 1 to 2 degrees above normal. This was due to abnormally warm low temperatures, which were 4 to 6 degrees above normal. High temperatures were actually slightly below normal for the month. Toward the end of the month, our wet pattern finally started to ease up, but not after observing measurable rain in some part of the Paducah NWS Forecast Area on 52 out of 53 days from June 30th through August 21st.

http://w2.weather.gov/pah/August2016ClimateSummary
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 02:41:28 PM by WeatherHost »

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #231 on: September 02, 2016, 02:40:15 PM »
Summer 2016 (June-August) will be remembered for being extremely wet over the region, along with above normal temperatures. Many locations experienced their wettest summer on record, with 50 observing sites in our area picking up at least 20” of rain. A couple locations even saw over 30”! To put this in perspective, normal precipitation for a whole summer is around 10 to 12”. So many locations received anywhere from 1.5 to almost 3 times the normal summer rainfall! Paducah, KY and Evansville, IN both recorded their 3rd wettest summer on record, with 19.47” and 16.71” respectively. June was actually a fairly dry month around the area, with below normal rainfall common, along with some concerns that a drought would develop if we didn’t receive much rain soon. Those thoughts quickly vanished as the flood gates opened up as the calendar turned to July. The wet pattern would then continue right through much of August. In fact, somewhere in our forecast area saw measurable rain on 52 out of 53 days from June 30th through August 21st! As for temperatures, they were generally around 2 degrees above normal which was good enough to rank in the Top 10 Warmest in Paducah and Cape Girardeau. High temperatures were actually near normal to slightly above normal, but low temperatures were a solid 3 to 4 degrees above normal. If you thought there were more warm, humid nights compared to a typical summer, you were correct! There were 63 days with low temperatures at or above 70 degrees in Paducah, which is a record for the summer season. This breaks the old record of 59 days set back in 2010. In Evansville, IN there were 59 days with lows in the 70s, which is the most in a summer season since 1934!

http://w2.weather.gov/pah/Summer2016SeasonalSummary

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Summer '16 - REMINDER
« Reply #232 on: September 22, 2016, 07:59:46 AM »
This is just to remind you, that in case you base season beginning/end on the astronomical rather than meteorological system, you have last 2.5 hours to enjoy the summer :D This year, the fall equinox is on Sep 22 at 2.20 PM UTC :)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #233 on: September 22, 2016, 03:56:43 PM »
Well soon after summer ended I got this
[ Outside High Temperature Alert: >= 30 °C ] has been triggered at: 9/22/16 3:14:57 PM, with a High Temperature of: 30 °C

Paul