Author Topic: No wind speed?  (Read 4428 times)

Offline ncherry

• Author: Linux Smart Homes For Dummies
    • Linux Home Automation
No wind speed?
« on: January 27, 2008, 12:22:53 PM »
I've confirmed that I'm not receiving the wind speed from my weather station. I can see the anemometer spinning but I still read no reading. Any ideas how I can correct this without replacing the entire unit (the most obvious idea of course)?

Thanks

Offline ncherry

• Author: Linux Smart Homes For Dummies
    • Linux Home Automation
Re: No wind speed?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 12:45:09 PM »
Okay, I now know how to fix anything related to the Lacrosse! Simply post here. Now it's working, I think. I'm getting wind speed readings. The problem is that where the anemometer is now (ground level +10 ft) it doesn't see a constant wind just short gusts. I guess I'm just too impatient.  :-/

Offline ZimcoComp

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:18:50 PM »
Hey, if posting worked for you maybe I should try it. The problem is similar except my 2308 reads mostly 0.0mph and it's done it since I bought it. I have sent it back to "support" twice and it still does the same thing. It has all the features I wanted except one. It don't work!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:28:56 PM »
The ws23XX series that use the turbine type fan anemometer are not very sensitive to wind "start-up" speed. That is, it takes a couple of miles per hour wind to get it going then it may read even at slower speeds until the wind stops. You may read zero a lot if the wind around it stays at or below 4 or 5 miles per hour.

Offline ZimcoComp

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 08:41:47 PM »
I don't think that's my problem. Today we had a blizzard and some areas near here had winds up to 80mph.
Mine read 0.0.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 08:43:13 PM »
Do you get direction readings?

Offline ZimcoComp

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:53:51 PM »
Everything else works fine. I have it wired directly to the console so interference would be minimized.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 12:19:27 PM »

It does not take much snow or freezing moisture to lock up the little turbine design. They are really suited for above freezing conditions.

You could add a better sensor that uses cups instead like a Inspeed Vortex, if your software supports it.

Offline ZimcoComp

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 01:30:38 PM »
Right now I agree. This storm has frozen everything in place. What bothers me most this has been a problem since early Oct. when I first installed it. The guy I bought it from has agreed to send me the 1612 which has the same features as the 2308 but better. What do you know about this one? Does it work with Heavy Weather SW?

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 02:02:34 PM »

I do not think the WS16XX IT ones have a PC interface.

One thing you might check this spring is to see if the impeller shifted on the shaft. I found that mine moved at one point after a storm and it was binding up. After I moved it a bit it spun freely. Also, lubrication with silicon spray seems to work the best. It only takes a few grains of debris so slow the turbine ones down.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 06:44:34 PM »
You should check http://www.greatbigoutlet.com for parts.  I got a cup-style anemometer for my WS-2315 and it's worked very well.  They don't have all the parts all the time.  They're an outlet store for LaCrosse, so you have to check them from time to time to see what they have.  Good luck!  :)

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything