Author Topic: WU Dashboard Map Does Not Load Properly  (Read 1428 times)

Offline mdv

WU Dashboard Map Does Not Load Properly
« on: April 12, 2019, 05:47:27 AM »
For the WU Team:

First of all, thanks for your efforts in getting the new dashboard operational, with Rapidfire again incorporated.

I have been experiencing an ongoing issue with the Google Map on the dashboard not sizing properly. Upon loading the dashboard, the map is in many cases properly sized, but if I refresh the page, many times the map reloads with the bottom 1/3 truncated.  The same behaviour is experienced when navigating form the PWS forecast page back to the dashboard. This issue happens with my two devices, each using Chrome on Win10.

I googled this issue, and found that one quick cure is to resize my browser window and then return to full-screen. I did this, and it worked.

However, the Googled information source that pointed me to this 'quick fix' also suggested that the cause of this type of map loading behaviour is a coding issue. I won't go into the specifics, because I am not qualified to do so, but if I might be allowed to point the WU Team to that information source  - please see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36037178/leaflet-loads-incomplete-map.

Thanks for reading.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 06:20:52 AM by mdv »

Offline mdv

Re: WU Dashboard Map Does Not Load Properly
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 09:41:55 AM »
Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

If anyone thinks the issue is at my end, please let me know.

I have again deleted all cookies and done a malware search on both devices - none found.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 10:40:57 AM »
It happens to me on Firefox too.  I just surrendered to the fact that it'll never be fixed.

Offline WunderTodd (PWS PM)

• Here to listen
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 03:11:17 PM »
I have been experiencing an ongoing issue with the Google Map on the dashboard not sizing properly. Upon loading the dashboard, the map is in many cases properly sized, but if I refresh the page, many times the map reloads with the bottom 1/3 truncated.  The same behaviour is experienced when navigating form the PWS forecast page back to the dashboard. This issue happens with my two devices, each using Chrome on Win10.

Screenshot, s'il vous plait?

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 03:25:58 PM »
Screenshot, s'il vous plait?

As you wish.  Now it isn't loading at all in Chrome 73.0.3683.103 /Win10:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

It loads in Firefox 66.0.3 (64-bit) but takes about five tries and is extremely slow (5-10 seconds) because of that.  I end up with this:

Offline WunderTodd (PWS PM)

• Here to listen
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 03:56:40 PM »

Thanks.  The mis-sized map we have a ticket for.
The 'no map background' is a first.
If anyone has examples of the map without a basemap background, please share screenshots.

Thanks mdv & wsw
--WuT

Offline Carbon

• Weather-Watcher
    • Gill MetPak Base Station PWS @ Myers Park
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 04:14:13 PM »

If anyone has examples of the map without a basemap background, please share screenshots.

Thanks mdv & wsw
--WuT

Hi Todd,
Thanks for all of the work you and the team have done in getting the website more friendly to view and getting rapidfire restored!

I think I know what is causing the lack of basemap that you saw in the screenshot - the basemap isn't loaded when hardware acceleration is OFF, at least when I tested and troubleshooted in Chrome. When you turn on "Use hardware acceleration when available", it loads the basemap just fine. For anyone who wants to fix it in Chrome, it's in Settings > Advanced.

EDIT: I'd also like to add a bug to this post - it appears that rain rate is not being shown correctly on the new design, and is always zero. My station and others in the area that are reporting rain rate are showing correctly on the old site, but all zero on the new site. Thanks!

Offline mdv

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 07:02:46 PM »

I think I know what is causing the lack of basemap that you saw in the screenshot - the basemap isn't loaded when hardware acceleration is OFF, at least when I tested and troubleshooted in Chrome. When you turn on "Use hardware acceleration when available", it loads the basemap just fine. For anyone who wants to fix it in Chrome, it's in Settings > Advanced.

I do have (and have always have had) hardware acceleration enabled in Chrome, so I don't think that is the problem.

The sequence of events surrounding this issue goes something like this:

When dashboard page reloads, the overall canvas initally fills only 2/3 width of my screen, and the content of containers is in imperial measurements - the map container at this stage is empty (grey background)

Then the canvas refreshes with metric values - the map container is still empty.

Then the map container starts building the map background  - sized to fill the map container (while the canvas is still 2/3 width of screen)

As the map is still building, the canvas expands to full width of screen, the map container expands both vertically and laterally, but the map background only expands laterally (ie it stays the same height) - map background at this point is centred vertically in the map container.

Lastly, the map background (in its original height) is moved upwards to align with the top border of the map container - leaving the display looking like that posted by WSWeather.

Hope that all makes sense.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:18:17 PM by mdv »

Offline Carbon

• Weather-Watcher
    • Gill MetPak Base Station PWS @ Myers Park
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 01:36:57 AM »

I do have (and have always have had) hardware acceleration enabled in Chrome, so I don't think that is the problem.

The sequence of events surrounding this issue goes something like this:

When dashboard page reloads, the overall canvas initally fills only 2/3 width of my screen, and the content of containers is in imperial measurements - the map container at this stage is empty (grey background)

Then the canvas refreshes with metric values - the map container is still empty.

Then the map container starts building the map background  - sized to fill the map container (while the canvas is still 2/3 width of screen)

As the map is still building, the canvas expands to full width of screen, the map container expands both vertically and laterally, but the map background only expands laterally (ie it stays the same height) - map background at this point is centred vertically in the map container.

Lastly, the map background (in its original height) is moved upwards to align with the top border of the map container - leaving the display looking like that posted by WSWeather.

Hope that all makes sense.

Interesting - I figured it was hardware acceleration, I'm able to reproduce what I explained without fail repeatedly - it clearly has an issue with loading the basemap with hardware acceleration off, but for your case I have no clue! If you haven't already, especially since it's only happening in one browser, it might be worth trying to clear cookies/cache and see if that helps.

Offline mdv

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 08:31:32 AM »

Interesting - I figured it was hardware acceleration, I'm able to reproduce what I explained without fail repeatedly - it clearly has an issue with loading the basemap with hardware acceleration off, but for your case I have no clue! If you haven't already, especially since it's only happening in one browser, it might be worth trying to clear cookies/cache and see if that helps.

Same on 2 devices running Chrome on Win10.

As per a previous post, I have cleared cookies and caches more than once since issue arose, and have scanned for malware.

Just wondering if problem is caused by my crappy internet connection speed (ADSL1 2mbps)?? Will check again once I am connected to higher speed broadband (40mbps) on 4/16.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 09:28:27 PM »
Just wondering if problem is caused by my crappy internet connection speed (ADSL1 2mbps)?? Will check again once I am connected to higher speed broadband (40mbps) on 4/16.
I am on a 250/25 line and it is happening to me too.

Offline iceman

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 04:51:33 PM »

Thanks mdv & wsw
--WuT

First Picture is from the Brave Browser with shields down (no map) and signed in, the second picture is Safari (Map Shows)

Doug

Offline rpegg

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 10:34:50 PM »

I too have had an issue in Chrome on Windows 10 with the background map being missing.   Thanks for the information.  I turned H/W acceleration on and it loads fine now.     Didn't have the problem with Microsoft Edge but am a Chrome user.

Offline mdv

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 08:32:30 PM »

--WuT

I am still experiencing this issue, so I guess this ticket is still open?

EDIT: Additionally, as of today, when I navigate to my PWS forecast page, it only fully loads if I clear my browser cache - this happens every time, not just once. Same applies when I navigate to the 10-day forecast page.

Upon loading main forecast page, display seems to be stuck on the conversion from imperial to metric - temp is deg F (my default is deg C); hyperlinks are inactive; all containers below the summary forecast (today/tonight/tomorrow) are blank. see first image.

Upon loading the 10-day forecast page, the graphical presentation is blank, and again the hyperlinks are inactive -see second image. *Again, temp is deg F, suggesting it is getting hung up during the process to convert to metric*

Seems it is happening on only one of my 2 devices - time to clear cookies again. [END EDIT]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 05:49:53 AM by mdv »