Author Topic: Can No Longer Create Plots  (Read 1761 times)

Offline casparjack

• Broxwood Weather Live
    • Broxwood Weather Live
Can No Longer Create Plots
« on: July 08, 2015, 07:11:57 AM »
After almost nine years of faultless running this morning I tried to create some plots and when I click the button I get the Windows message that WeatherLink has encountered a problem and must close.

Restarted the application and the PC a couple of times, but no go.

I also note that the overall rainfall data page has been corrupted, showing just June and July's figures and the rest dashes or junk.

I'm still running 5.7.1 on an XP machine.

Any ideas please?

Davis Wireless VP2+/FARS/Wireless Anemometer/2x Remote Temperature Sensors - Running Weather Display and WeatherLink 24/7 on PC based Windows XP

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Can No Longer Create Plots
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 09:41:19 AM »
Possibly a corrupted .WLK file?  Or WL is corrupted?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline casparjack

• Broxwood Weather Live
    • Broxwood Weather Live
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:54:45 AM »
No idea, but sounds plausible; how would I tell?

Davis Wireless VP2+/FARS/Wireless Anemometer/2x Remote Temperature Sensors - Running Weather Display and WeatherLink 24/7 on PC based Windows XP

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 10:17:05 AM »
First, MAKE BACKUPS.  Then I would create a new station and download to it - see if plots work.  If so, your WLK file(s) is corrupted.  You can look at the files using http://www.narsters.com/WLKReaderWriter/Default.aspx  That should let you view/fix the bad actors.  If you still can't get a plot, then AFTER MAKING BACKUPs, I'd run disk diagnostics like CHKDSK etc. to verify HD integrity.  And retest.  And then AFTER... you get the point, I would reload WL.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline casparjack

• Broxwood Weather Live
    • Broxwood Weather Live
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 04:38:07 PM »
That needs me to take a bit of time tomorrow; thank you I'll take a look and see how I get on - guaranteed I'll need a little more guidance though!!  :oops:

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 09:12:30 PM »
Look at the file names of the .wlk files and delete any that have impossible names.

Make sure the date/time on your computer and console are the same.

Offline casparjack

• Broxwood Weather Live
    • Broxwood Weather Live
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 12:30:28 PM »
When I try to create a new station I get 'Error 17 creating directory' - any ideas why this is?

Offline casparjack

• Broxwood Weather Live
    • Broxwood Weather Live
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 12:33:48 PM »
When I try to create a new station I get 'Error 17 creating directory' - any ideas why this is?

Worked this out; not allowed spaces in the station name!  ](*,)

Offline casparjack

• Broxwood Weather Live
    • Broxwood Weather Live
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 12:58:49 PM »
Done all the backup stuff and created a new station etc...still exactly the same problem.

Guess I'll have to totally clear WL from my machine and reload from scratch.  :roll:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 01:19:58 PM »
Make sure you run the disk diagnostics before reloading.