Author Topic: Talk me into a WS-2000  (Read 5883 times)

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
Re: Talk me into a WS-2000
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2019, 06:52:43 PM »
Thanks.  Ambient's pricing is a little screwey right now.

It's cheaper to order a WS-2000 kit ala carte and you get a 2nd console:

WS-1900 (Osprey Sensor w/non WiFi console) - $72
WS-2000C (WiFi Console) - $111
WH32B - Indoor sensor - $15
Total - $198

The WS-2000 kit is $240.

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2019, 09:52:39 AM »
Thanks.  Ambient's pricing is a little screwey right now.

It's cheaper to order a WS-2000 kit ala carte and you get a 2nd console:

WS-1900 (Osprey Sensor w/non WiFi console) - $72
WS-2000C (WiFi Console) - $111
WH32B - Indoor sensor - $15
Total - $198

The WS-2000 kit is $240.

Well I'm the OP and was on the fence about the WS2000 vs getting another Davis. I ended up going with the WS, especially since the ala carte pricing was better. For $227 with s/h, I got the sensor and console. Not bad. I'll keep the Davis running and see how the WS works in comparison. The bonus is I'll at least have a nice console to put in the living room to be able to see conditions without using my phone and having to go to my own website all the time. If the WS turns out not to work all the well, I'll go ahead and order a new Davis ISS.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2019, 12:03:29 AM »
One other question. If I wanted to continue to use Weather Display software on my computer, would the WS-2000 have to be physically connected with USB or could it work through Wifi from the console? My computer is on Wifi, so that's why I thought it may work, but probably not. If not, is there any other way to get the WS-2000 to talk to WD wirelessly?

Yes you can use your WS-2000 weather station and feed the data to Weather-Display, but you'll need some extra hardware. You'll need an ObserverIP and a  Meteobridge. You can get both from Ambient Weather. The ObserverIP is normally paired with a WS-1000-BTH but since you have a WH32B that came with your WS-2000 you don't need it as they are functionally the same. The Meteobridge is something you can build and get licensed yourself or you can take the easy way and just buy a WeatherBridge from Ambient.

Weather-Display lists the Meteobridge as a compatible supported device for getting weather data:
http://www.weather-display.com/supported.php

The way it works is that the ObserverIP receives weather data via RF 915 MHz from the outdoor array sensor. The ObserverIP also receives indoor temperature / humidity / pressure from the indoor sensor. Then the Meteobridge can see the ObserverIP data using your local network (Ethernet or WiFi). Lastly Weather-Display connects to the Meteobridge to get data. All of this does not use your WS-2000 display tablet and it doest affect its use.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:15:43 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline petko

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2019, 11:39:09 AM »
Hi everyone.

Sry if I am posting in wrong thread just here to ask can you remove temperature/hygrometer sensor out of the solar shield on ws 2902 ?.

Thx. :D

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2019, 11:46:50 AM »
Hi everyone.

Sry if I am posting in wrong thread just here to ask can you remove temperature/hygrometer sensor out of the solar shield on ws 2902 ?.

Thx. :D

Yes you should have started a new thread to ask your question. And yes to answer your other question. You can remove and replace the temperature/hygrometer sensor out of the WS-2902A outdoor array sensor. There are just 4 wires to solder. Here are pictures of someone doing so.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35893.0
Tele-Pole

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2019, 09:50:35 AM »
What are my options for a data logger? If power goes out, does all data get lost? With my Davis, I've got a logger than keep track of day's worth of data.

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2019, 10:06:45 AM »
What are my options for a data logger? If power goes out, does all data get lost? With my Davis, I've got a logger than keep track of day's worth of data.

For the WS-2000 Display Tablet, see page 47 of the Users Manual (v1.4), Section 6.10.0.6, Backup Data, Section 6.10.1, Exporting Data File Format (Data Logging)

There are also many cloud services that store your data up until your WiFi loses power.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:08:19 AM by kbellis »

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2019, 10:22:55 AM »

For the WS-2000 Display Tablet, see page 47 of the Users Manual (v1.4), Section 6.10.0.6, Backup Data, Section 6.10.1, Exporting Data File Format (Data Logging)

There are also many cloud services that store your data up until your WiFi loses power.
thanks. But is the SD card the only option? I really don't want to have download to a card then take that to my desktop and some way transfer an excel based file into to the weather display software. The other thing is, if we lose power, the console will die without batteries. Why no option for batteries?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2019, 10:34:24 AM »
No option for batteries because that makes it cheaper to make. But you can add your own battery. Just connect up a computer type Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) to the console. Then it will keep chugging.

As for other logging options you can add an ObserverIP and a Meteobridge (and/or WeeWx or other software) and maybe your own internal SQL database system (which all need UPS power protection if you want to stay up during power outage). But then you'd have the same work as with the SD card where you would have to export and import data to whatever software you are running.

Tele-Pole

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2019, 10:56:30 AM »
No option for batteries because that makes it cheaper to make. But you can add your own battery. Just connect up a computer type Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) to the console. Then it will keep chugging.

As for other logging options you can add an ObserverIP and a Meteobridge (and/or WeeWx or other software) and maybe your own internal SQL database system (which all need UPS power protection if you want to stay up during power outage). But then you'd have the same work as with the SD card where you would have to export and import data to whatever software you are running.

Last question. If I used UPS and power went out for 5hr, when it comes back on, will all the data during that 5hr be uploaded to ambient or is it lost?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2019, 11:10:37 AM »

Last question. If I used UPS and power went out for 5hr, when it comes back on, will all the data during that 5hr be uploaded to ambient or is it lost?

Most likely the opportunity is lost for ambientweather.net if it isn't live data. Unless the ambientweather.net protocol allows to upload historical data based on a time stamp. And I don't know if this is possible as I've not stumbled on that information yet (I haven't looked either). But that would require a mechanism of custom software to upload historical data to the service. With Weather Underground their protocol allows for historical uploading and there are some freeware/opensource project programs you can use to do this. So this isn't something that Weather Underground directly supports, it is just something people have figured out and taken advantage of. But with Weather Underground if you don't get it right you've messed up that time frame as you can't re-upload where data already exists for that time frame, and you can't delete it either. Weather Underground used to allow you to delete bad data, sadly they took that feature away. Well it was more like it was broken and didn't work and so finally in Fall 2018 they removed the feature to delete bad data.

If you want to run a UPS to not miss weather data, I'd say the best approach is probably think local storage. Being either SD card and/or to then also run your own software like WeeWx or Weather-Display and not worry about the online services and filling in the blanks. Then you'll have all the data locally.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:15:19 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2019, 11:22:09 AM »

Most likely the opportunity is lost for ambientweather.net if it isn't live data. Unless the ambientweather.net protocol allows to upload historical data based on a time stamp. And I don't know if this is possible as I've not stumbled on that information yet (I haven't looked either). But that would require a mechanism of custom software to upload historical data to the service. With Weather Underground their protocol allows for historical uploading and there are some freeware/opensource project programs you can use to do this. So this isn't something that Weather Underground directly supports, it is just something people have figured out and taken advantage of. But with Weather Underground if you don't get it right you've messed up that time frame as you can't re-upload where data already exists for that time frame, and you can't delete it either. Weather Underground used to allow you to delete bad data, sadly they took that feature away. Well it was more like it was broken and didn't work and so finally in Fall 2018 they removed the feature to delete bad data.

If you want to run a UPS to not miss weather data, I'd say the best approach is probably think local storage. Being either SD card and/or to then also run your own software like WeeWx or Weather-Display and not worry about the online services and filling in the blanks. Then you'll have all the data locally.
That's one problem. Weather Display, in order to grab data from WS2000 has to get it from Ambient site, so if data is lost, it's gone forever. This is one advantage of my Davis. No fuss, no muss. Direct data logger between desktop and console. Batteries for backup. IDK, I'm having second thoughts on whether I made the right decision on buying the WS2000. I thought it might replace my aging Davis, but I don't think that's probably happening. I may return the Ws2000.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2019, 12:24:41 PM »

That's one problem. Weather Display, in order to grab data from WS2000 has to get it from Ambient site, so if data is lost, it's gone forever. This is one advantage of my Davis. No fuss, no muss. Direct data logger between desktop and console. Batteries for backup. IDK, I'm having second thoughts on whether I made the right decision on buying the WS2000. I thought it might replace my aging Davis, but I don't think that's probably happening. I may return the Ws2000.

Weather-Display can grab the data from a Meteobridge locally (no Internet). The Meteobridge requires the ObserverIP. With the WS-2000 and the right accessories (ObserverIP, Meteobridge, Raspberry Pi or other computer, and whatever weather software you want WeeWx or Weather-Display) it all happens locally without Internet. No loss of data if you provide UPS and/or generator power.

The Meteobridge (via ObserverIP) is the only way I know how to get data directly from an Ambient Osprey sensor to Weather-Display. But you don't need the Meteobridge for WeeWx. For WeeWx the ObserverIP is optional if you want to use the ObserverIP driver. But WeeWx can also use the redirection driver and get data directly from the WS-2000 console (this will require more networking and Linux skill), but there is plenty of online help.

You can also run all of these devices at the same time. Even run WeeWx and Weather-Display at the same time each storing their own copy of the data. And you can also offload an SQL version of the data (with the Meteobridge or WeeWx or Weather-Display) for future use if some other software were to come out in the future then you could use that to populate the software. Or use it to populate some future online weather service. Can't hurt to just have another copy of the data in another generic format (SQL) is all I'm saying.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:31:22 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2019, 12:08:55 PM »
I'm noticing anywhere between 0 and 4F difference in temp between my VP2 and WS2000. At night, they are nearly identical, but during the day, they are quite different. WS2000 is mounted ~6' higher up than davis. Realizing colder air settles I could see why the VP2 would report colder at night, but it's doing just the opposite and reporting lower during the day. I expect some differences between temp sensors, but 4F seems like a lot.

Offline Ski Pro 3

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2019, 12:49:47 PM »
I mounted my WS-2000 array at 33' up on a pole.  It constantly measures warmer at night than ground temps by 3 or 4 degrees.  So I took it down and put it right with my stand alone indoor/outdoor thermometer.  They read the same.  Then I placed both back up on the pole.  Again, within a degree of each other.  Put them both back where they started from and the thermometer up in the air continues to read warmer at night. 
I can only conclude that the air streaming over the house is slightly warmer than the more still ground temps. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2019, 03:42:00 PM »
I'm noticing anywhere between 0 and 4F difference in temp between my VP2 and WS2000. At night, they are nearly identical, but during the day, they are quite different. WS2000 is mounted ~6' higher up than davis. Realizing colder air settles I could see why the VP2 would report colder at night, but it's doing just the opposite and reporting lower during the day. I expect some differences between temp sensors, but 4F seems like a lot.

Well the Ambient radiation shield is not as good as the Davis shield. The sensor in the Ambient is a Sensirion SHT30 and the Davis has a Sensirion SHT31. Not much difference between those models. The difference is most likely the radiation shield.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 10:27:35 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2019, 09:53:13 PM »
I mounted my WS-2000 array at 33' up on a pole.  It constantly measures warmer at night than ground temps by 3 or 4 degrees.  So I took it down and put it right with my stand alone indoor/outdoor thermometer.  They read the same.  Then I placed both back up on the pole.  Again, within a degree of each other.  Put them both back where they started from and the thermometer up in the air continues to read warmer at night. 
I can only conclude that the air streaming over the house is slightly warmer than the more still ground temps.

I believe the recommended height for mounting temp sensors is around 5-6 feet above ground..

Offline Ski Pro 3

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2019, 10:21:23 PM »
I believe the recommended height for mounting temp sensors is around 5-6 feet above ground..

That depends on the ground; pavement/concrete, bare dirt, sod, etc, but the ideal height for wind is 33'.  The WS-2000 can add up to 8 additional thermometers.  It's easier to do that than to try and remote the anemometer. 
The rain gauge should be closer to the ground as well from what I read, but I compare to 3 rain cans and they all are within .10" after a 3+" rain event.  That's plenty close enough for me too. 
It's no secret that having all the sensors in one array is a compromise, but AW addresses it with the extra sensors seems to be a fairly economical solution if it matters.   
My primary function for my weather station is to forecast fire danger.  The electric company where I live has started turning off the power when certain conditions indicate a high fire risk.  I'd like to know when my area is approaching those conditions so I can get my genny out and ready.  It's one thing to loose power in the winter, there are ways to stay warm and keep foods cold for a weather related outage due to storm weather, but it's another when those conditions, like those of wild fire, can exist for days.  Even after conditions are lifted, every foot of electric conductor must be visually inspected before restoring power in case a branch or tree is down from the winds.  In mountainous terrain, an outage could last many days.  Heat is much more likely to kill than a wild fire, but that's something the politicians will have to sort out with the electric utility companies.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 10:27:41 PM by Ski Pro 3 »

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2019, 07:07:47 PM »
Just had a dropout where there was no ISS to console transmission for 20 min. Not sure what caused it. We had heavy rain today and some wind and temp of 49f. Any idea what causes this?

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2019, 09:21:09 AM »
Well now my station is not reporting at all. I see ambient released a FW update as of yesterday. I will try that.

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »
I ended up returning the WS2000 and went back to my trusty VP2. Created my own "console" using W34 template and Fire HD 10" tablet. Works and looks great.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2019, 01:04:12 PM »
Very nice. Sorry to hear the WS-2000 didn't work out. Seems like you may have been just outside the Ambient threshold for reception/interference range.

What system are you using to host the template?
Tele-Pole

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2019, 07:20:57 PM »
Very nice. Sorry to hear the WS-2000 didn't work out. Seems like you may have been just outside the Ambient threshold for reception/interference range.

I have a HostGator acct

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2019, 02:20:21 PM »
Works and looks great.

It looks GRRRRRREAT! Really nice; thanks for posting.

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2019, 02:26:52 PM »
Okay, sorry for my stupid questions, but am more curious than embarrassed. You have data coming from your VP2 into your house to some kind of bridge to send packets directly to HostGator whereon you have this sweet looking W34 template display - is that close to the data flow path/ process? or does weewx get churned into the picture somehow or another?

I have a HostGator acct

anything