Author Topic: Severe Weather Map Discrepancies......  (Read 4127 times)

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
    • http://eetee.us/station/station.php
Severe Weather Map Discrepancies......
« on: March 06, 2008, 03:40:18 PM »
I have been noticing this situation for a while and was wondering if anyone else has noticed it in their area.  There is currently discrepancies in the severe weather maps for several online resources.  There has been a "Winter Storm Watch" in my area (Louisville) since at least 4:18am:

My local NWS web page shows it on their map:

however, TWC does not - nor have they:

other sites mirror TWC:

Obviously, these two sites (and others) are getting their info from the same place; however, it is different than the NWS?!?  I hope these things don't happen during tornado warnings, etc.  :shock:
South of the Tracks, Anchorage, KY

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
Re: Severe Weather Map Discrepancies......
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 05:19:29 PM »
Whew!  We have it right!  :D

Now if you were only sending data to us we'd have a complete set of information.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 05:25:31 PM by weatherforyou »
Joe Torsitano

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 08:48:06 PM »
99.9% if the time I would follow the NWS forecast. I have notice the TWC is waaaay off on a lot of their forecasts a lot of the times. I have sirus in my truck which gets their forecasts for the area from TWC. Their forecasts are normally way off compared to NWS. IMO I would go with NWS before listening to anything TWC says.

We are getting the stuff that is heading your way so most likely the NWS is correct. You also have to keep in mind that more times then not NWS over predicts. They go by the better safe then sorry method I have noticed.

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 10:24:14 AM »
I've noticed the same thing, Mesquite.  About the only thing I've noticed TWC is good for is their complete glossary of weather terminology on their website!

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 10:29:34 AM »
PS, Gotta hand it to you Joe-
You seem to be the only guy in this forum taking a personal interest in the welfare of your site, Weatherforyou.  I never see any posts from the guys at WU, Davis, or any of the others.  Thanks for keeping in touch with the people who actually use these sites/products!  Maybe I'm off on this, but if any of you Davis or WU people are lurking out there, how about letting us know?  Looks like Joe is the only real player on the field!

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 10:50:35 AM »
Thanks.  ;)  Glad to be paying attention and responsive.  :)
Joe Torsitano

anything