Author Topic: New WU Radar coming....  (Read 2890 times)

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
    • http://eetee.us/station/station.php
New WU Radar coming....
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:49:07 PM »
From the developer's blog on WU:

and the response from WU:

I'm wondering if the new radar will break existing links.
South of the Tracks, Anchorage, KY

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: New WU Radar coming....
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:51:14 PM »
If I were to guess I would say yes that at least some links will have to be changed.   :-k

I'm not so keen on google background images.  They tend to be slow or problematic during loading at times for me on both my computers.  The worse being the old slow computer of course.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:52:53 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline NGRRFan

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 01:22:48 AM »
I'm a bit puzzled as to how a weather radar image can be faster?

In reading how the doppler weather radar works, and how an image is put together, it takes 12 minutes for the image to assemble all of the major tilt angles into an image. So even what you see on TV is 12 minutes old, not "real time".

Yes if TWC radar is up to 30 minutes old, because of some technical problem, then anything is "newer/faster" than that but if everything is working properly then all radar is 12 minutes behind "real time".

Is my understanding flawed? If so, how?

Online SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 11:47:18 AM »
It used to be (in the "good, ol' days") that most Internet Nexrad was delayed 30 minutes or so. I always thought that was to entice you to pay for the providers premium service, with more current radar. I used to subscribe to WeatherTap to get the faster updates.

Also, when you consider how many NEXRADs there are in the US, and how much data is being generated every few minutes, it takes a certain amount of time to gather and crunch all of that, too.

anything