Author Topic: WS2000 update - incorrect rain totals  (Read 473 times)

Offline jwoodard80

WS2000 update - incorrect rain totals
« on: April 18, 2019, 10:06:50 AM »
Hello, I just recently upgraded to the 1.4 to fix the 12-1:00 AM bug and it seems to have affected the daily total displayed. Earlier this week we had a rain and the totals seemed to be off so I took it down and made sure it was clean of debris and tested it's functionality with pouring water. It did accumulate on display so I thought maybe it was just me being paranoid.

However, we have had a good rain overnight and into this morning and my rain gauge is still showing .01 and I know that can't be right. Has anyone else seen this? This is the only change I have made as I had not touched my weather station previous to this.

I wanted to rollback to the previous firmware for testing but I've been unable to find a link.

Thank you for any help you might offer in advance.

This is my rain gauge from this morning.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

And this is a weather station just maybe 2 miles from me.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
Re: WS2000 update - incorrect rain totals
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 10:22:39 AM »
Only thought I have is have you checked the signal quality from the sensor array?
Or possibly the battery in the sensor array.
If the data transmission is a little spotty then the rain tips may get missed by the console that is counting them
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 10:24:28 AM »
Besides checking what Mandrake said all I can say is that version 1.4.0 doesn't have issues with rain as that is what I'm using. If you still have problems after flashing 1.4.0 then I suggest you look at other troubleshooting steps. Hopefully the unit didn't ingest water into the wrong place and break by pouring water down the funnel. I would just test by manually tipping the spoon with your finger. Or maybe you have a defective unit. Contact Ambient if the problem persists. Hopefully you are still within warranty period if it turns out to be a hardware failure.

You can get to all the previous firmware versions here:

https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@site.ambientweatherstore.com/ssl/ws2000/

I would recommend 1.4.0 for now as 1.4.1 has a couple of bugs in SD recording format. (I've reported the bugs and they are working on fix and newer version due soon).
You won't see 1.4.1 in the list. The latest version is simply referred to as user.bin, so that is 1.4.1 now. If you want to test 1.4.0 then you download it and then rename it to user.bin or else the WS-2000 will not flash it if it has the wrong name. The WS-2000 only expects a file named exactly user.bin.* Once the next version comes out in this download directory they will rename user.bin to be 1.4.1 for archive purposes, and the new version will be called user.bin.

* The WS-2000 also can use a file named factory.bin but I recommend sticking to using user.bin instead. You can rename any archive version of these firmware files to be named user.bin or factory.bin. The difference between them is the flashing process a bit different and the original source file is not delete and the WS-2000 doesn't automatically reboot when you use a file named factory.bin. Using user.bin is the better (newer) method.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 10:32:39 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline jwoodard80

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 01:32:42 PM »
Thank you both for these tips!

I did tip the spoon with my finger when I tested it to make sure things were not hung up somehow. At this point, I'm going to re-mount it again and give it a once over when I take it down. I have it on the backside of my wood fence somewhere between 50-100ft to my house, however, signal has been good so far with no issues at all.