Author Topic: New VP2 with FARS in Arizona  (Read 1858 times)

Offline AZweather

New VP2 with FARS in Arizona
« on: September 29, 2018, 02:33:10 PM »
I've had weather stations for years and finally decided to spend some money on a better unit. This forum has really helped me decide and best placement for installation. Thanks!

Weather Station on WU: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KAZSCOTT418&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Here's the link to the pictures if they don't load for you. https://imgur.com/a/nPCyGCf

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 02:46:09 PM by AZweather »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: New VP2 with FARS in Arizona
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 02:55:12 PM »
Very nice. But what is your plan for servicing that anny? Is there a tilt bolt on the bottom for after removing the U brackets, zip ties and guy wires?

I see a sad Acurite 5 in 1 in one of the pictures.  :-P

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline AZweather

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 03:17:45 PM »
Very nice. But what is your plan for servicing that anny? Is there a tilt bolt on the bottom for after removing the U brackets, zip ties and guy wires?

I see a sad Acurite 5 in 1 in one of the pictures.  :-P

I went as light as I could with the mast so I can handle myself and get above 30’. Used 1-3/8” fence top rail (3 - 10.5’ rails) and used 5’ sections of PVC to sleeve the connections to add rigidity. It’s very light and easy to manage on my own. I still need to add the pivot bolt at the bottom.

Fortunately, I have plenty of room so all I need to do is exactly what you said. Cut 3 ties, disconnect 2 guy wires, and take the clamps off. Shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes.

As for the AcuRite, it’s still kicking and going to give it a new home. It’s been up in the Arizona heat/ sun for 3 years. At night, the measurements are pretty accurate, but during the heat of the day, it reads temps very high. It’s been a good unit.

PS - I’m a Florida native growing up in Miami and lived in Longwood (near you) for 7 years. I was there 2004 when the 3 hurricanes hit us
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 03:42:23 PM by AZweather »

Offline AZweather

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 03:26:22 PM »
2nd that very nice... Love the desert around your house. Looks very rattlesnake infested however.   :lol:

Thanks, it is quite pretty out here. And yes, plenty of rattle snakes, scorpions, tarantulas, etc. I relocate at least a dozen rattle snakes a year off my property (including garage). They really aren’t that aggressive as long as you don’t step on it.  :shock:

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 03:35:07 PM by AZweather »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 04:23:44 PM »
Very nicely done! I'm in Tucson and wish my ISS was that accessible in the desert. If I may suggest, the temp/humidity wire from the radiation shield to the transmitter box is exposed too much allowing wind to move it about and rub against the shield possibly causing it to fray down the road. Doubtful it'll be a problem but no need borrowing trouble. I'd probably just pull the excess up under the rain bucket platform and cable tie it to one of the studs.

Offline AZweather

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 04:26:12 PM »
Very nicely done! I'm in Tucson and wish my ISS was that accessible in the desert. If I may suggest, the temp/humidity wire from the radiation shield to the transmitter box is exposed too much allowing wind to move it about and rub against the shield possibly causing it to fray down the road. Doubtful it'll be a problem but no need borrowing trouble. I'd probably just pull the excess up under the rain bucket platform and cable tie it to one of the studs.

All suggestions/ tips are welcome! Thanks for the advice. I needed something to do, so I will do it now.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 05:35:43 PM »
This is a very nice picture...love the moon in the background sky.

• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 08:51:37 PM »
A very nice set up. I put up my VP2 with FARS in May of this year. Doing well except for a beetle in the rain gauge and some Kansas dust in the tipping buckets. Highest gust (anemometer mounted 22') has been 65 mph so far. Enjoy!

Offline AZweather

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 02:42:02 PM »
This is a very nice picture...love the moon in the background sky.

Thanks for the compliment. I thought it was a cool picture as well and why I posted it. One of those perfect moments to snap a shot. It's incredible the quality in which pictures can be taken by a phone now a days.

Offline AZweather

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 03:24:09 PM »
A very nice set up. I put up my VP2 with FARS in May of this year. Doing well except for a beetle in the rain gauge and some Kansas dust in the tipping buckets. Highest gust (anemometer mounted 22') has been 65 mph so far. Enjoy!

Thanks. I also lived in Kansas. I was there for 3 years and my wife and I loved it. I lived just outside of Wichita in Goddard. Talk about a windy place! Seemed the wind was always blowing hard there. My first week there after purchasing a new home, there were 3 days of straight line winds of 30 - 40 MPH + gusts. It blew half the shingles off my new house. I also loved the sunset skies and incoming storms fronts. The lightning patterns were very cool as well. Different from Florida.

Thanks for the tips on the rain gauge. If you think Kansas is dusty (and it is), try the Arizona desert  ](*,). I will keep and eye on the rain gauge for bugs and dust buildup.

PS - 65 MPH is quite a gust. Almost hurricane force!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 03:33:27 PM by AZweather »

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 03:58:01 PM »

Thanks. I also lived in Kansas. I was there for 3 years and my wife and I loved it. I lived just outside of Wichita in Goddard. Talk about a windy place! Seemed the wind was always blowing hard there. My first week there after purchasing a new home, there were 3 days of straight line winds of 30 - 40 MPH + gusts. It blew half the shingles off my new house. I also loved the sunset skies and incoming storms fronts. The lightning patterns were very cool as well. Different from Florida.

Thanks for the tips on the rain gauge. If you think Kansas is dusty (and it is), try the Arizona desert  ](*,). I will keep and eye on the rain gauge for bugs and dust buildup.

PS - 65 MPH is quite a gust. Almost hurricane force!

Now, you know where the "True Grit" saying comes from (wink,wink)!
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

anything