Author Topic: 2011 Winter Snow Forecast on Accuweather  (Read 11686 times)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
2011 Winter Snow Forecast on Accuweather
« on: August 04, 2010, 01:14:07 AM »
   I found this article of the 2011 winter forecast.  It says that there will be heavier snow for Chicago, Minneapolis and Detroit #-o ](*,).  NY, Philly and DC supposed to be normal.  I never put much stock in these things but I sure hope it's wrong.  I have been nervous about  how the winter was going to be after this really hot summer.  Here is the link:
   http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/34891/winter-2011-heavier-snow-for-c.asp 

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: 2011 Winter Snow Forecast on Accuweather
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 01:26:22 AM »
After certain people installed home AC this summer, I'm surprised we have not had frost yet.   :-P
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 03:51:27 PM »
After certain people installed home AC this summer, I'm surprised we have not had frost yet.   :-P
  I am one of them and I was afraid it would be 70F the rest of the summer! #-o

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:58:36 AM »
Here in the UK we get very little snow compared to you guys and very rarely before Christmas.

Where in the US gets the most and when does it start?

Alan.
Alan

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 12:18:05 AM »
Here in the UK we get very little snow compared to you guys and very rarely before Christmas.

Alan.

http://nsidc.org/snow/facts.html

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/snowfall.html
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 01:32:03 AM »
oh joy.. more snow.  After last winter and all the rain and humdity we have right now here in Iowa,  A snowy winter would definitely be a pain in the neck or lower.   We don't have a garage so it is brush off the snow and wait for the snow crew to do the drives and sidewalk...  of course where to pile the snow.   This year with the cold we didn't have peaches on the trees.... the last cold snap did in the buds, we did have cherries and pears though... oh well.    Just no one give the finger to Mother Nature again this year. \:D/

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 01:44:26 AM »

Alan.

http://nsidc.org/snow/facts.html

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/online/ccd/snowfall.html

Thanks Mark, interesting reading.

Alan.
Alan

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 05:54:35 PM »
   Our first snow usually comes in the middle of November.  There is usually some flurries or a light dusting before that but I only count the first measurable snow.
   What parts of the country that get the most snow?  Probably the Rocky mountain areas.  The East coast gets quite a bit most years.  It depends on the year.
   We had a blizzard in 1978 and that was the worst, or best, snowstorm I have been in.  We only had 10 inches or snow or so but the wind was unbelievable.
We had 2 cars in the driveway that just dissappeared.  We were stuck in the house for 2 days.  I have attached some photos.  I will never forget those days.
There were drifts in the back of the house that almost reached the roof line.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 01:55:38 AM »
Wow that is some snow. It can be very pleasant for a while if you don't need to go out, but becomes an inconvenience if you do. I drive a German car with rear wheel drive and that's not very good in snow, fortunately my surrounding area is very flat, which does help.

I live on the east coast of the UK, we don't get a lot of snow, perhaps a couple of inches and then it will be gone within a few days. The north of England and Scotland get more than us and I suppose the ski centers in Scotland are grateful for that.

Alan.
Alan

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 09:05:40 PM »
Last year our winter was pretty cold and harsh, atleast by the last 10 years standards.  I'm hoping for sunny and 70 all winter this year. lol
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 10:43:33 PM »
we had a lot of snow last year and I am hoping we don't this year.. I am getting too old for this sort of thing.  The ground is saturated, we've had 37 inches of rain so far

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/dmx/WxWhisperSummer2010.pdf  this is a good publication to see how things are going in this side of paradise.

Offline KeithBC

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
  Our first snow usually comes in the middle of November.  There is usually some flurries or a light dusting before that but I only count the first measurable snow.
   What parts of the country that get the most snow?  Probably the Rocky mountain areas.  The East coast gets quite a bit most years.  It depends on the year.
   We had a blizzard in 1978 and that was the worst, or best, snowstorm I have been in.  We only had 10 inches or snow or so but the wind was unbelievable.
We had 2 cars in the driveway that just dissappeared.  We were stuck in the house for 2 days.  I have attached some photos.  I will never forget those days.
I wonder if that was the same 1978 blizzard I remember.  Were you anywhere near North Dakota back then?  

I was living on the air base at Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan then.  The blizzard of Feb 1978 started blowing on a Sunday and didn't let up until the Thursday.  The first solid object the wind hit after blowing for 300 miles across the prairies was the hangar line.  The drifts between the hangars were 20 feet high.  It took two days for front end loaders and dump trucks to clear the flight line.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 12:45:57 AM »
   Our first snow usually comes in the middle of November.  There is usually some flurries or a light dusting before that but I only count the first measurable snow.
   What parts of the country that get the most snow?  Probably the Rocky mountain areas.  The East coast gets quite a bit most years.  It depends on the year.
   We had a blizzard in 1978 and that was the worst, or best, snowstorm I have been in.  We only had 10 inches or snow or so but the wind was unbelievable.
We had 2 cars in the driveway that just dissappeared.  We were stuck in the house for 2 days.  I have attached some photos.  I will never forget those days.
I wonder if that was the same 1978 blizzard I remember.  Were you anywhere near North Dakota back then? 
I was living on the air base at Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan then.  The blizzard of Feb 1978 started blowing on a Sunday and didn't let up until the Thursday.  The first solid object the wind hit after blowing for 300 miles across the prairies was the hangar line.  The drifts between the hangars were 20 feet high.  It took two days for front end loaders and dump trucks to clear the flight line.
    I don't think it was the same storm. The blizzard hit here in Oregon, Ohio (on the East side of Toledo)near Lake Erie, on Thursday 26 January. Your blizzard sounds like it was a whopper too.  We have not even come close to a storm like that since.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 12:56:34 AM »
Last year our winter was pretty cold and harsh, atleast by the last 10 years standards.  I'm hoping for sunny and 70 all winter this year. lol

Keep us posted how that dream works out for ya.     :lol:

Mark 

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 01:14:35 AM »
we had a lot of snow last year and I am hoping we don't this year.. I am getting too old for this sort of thing.  The ground is saturated, we've had 37 inches of rain so far

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/dmx/WxWhisperSummer2010.pdf  this is a good publication to see how things are going in this side of paradise.

I wish you guys would send some our way.  We got drenched in June, July was a little better but now I haven't had any measurable rain here in 14 days now.  My lawn is burnt (which I'm not really complaining about because it's grown in 1 week maybe an inch or two) and looks nasty.  And we're in store for more heat until Friday.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline KeithBC

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 11:27:05 AM »
    I don't think it was the same storm. The blizzard hit here in Oregon, Ohio (on the East side of Toledo)near Lake Erie, on Thursday 26 January. Your blizzard sounds like it was a whopper too.  We have not even come close to a storm like that since.
Yes, it had to be a different blizzard.  Similar, though.  It must have been a bad winter all over.

Offline Mike W IN ALTMAR

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 10:25:34 PM »

Alan.

The tug hill region of NY is 1 of the snowiest places east of the mississippi..

The Tug Hill region is renowned for its excessive snowfall. One interesting architectural feature related to this phenomenon can be found locally in some hunting camps: supplemental, second-floor entry doors. These are located directly above the ground-level front door, and such apertures are used when so much snow has accumulated that the ground-level door can not be accessed. Snow depths commonly reach five feet (one and a half meters) or more, on the level, and vastly deeper amounts are routine. The location of the region in relation to Lake Ontario often creates ideal conditions for lake effect snow. The Tug Hill hamlet of Montague owns the single day New York State record of snowfall with 77 inches (6 feet, 5 inches) (almost 2 meters). Another Tug Hill village, Hooker (in Lewis County) holds the state record for annual snowfall. Hooker also received an extraordinary accumulation of snow in the winter of 1976-77, with a total accumulation of 466.9 inches – approximately 39 feet (almost 12 meters).

On February 10, 2007 the National Weather Service reported that the Town of Parish had received 100 inches (more than 2.5 meters) of snow over a seven day span, while the village of Redfield received 141 inches (more than 3.5 meters) of snow over a ten day span of February 3-February 12, 2007. In 1977 a huge blizzard struck the Tug Hill Plateau and dumped 97 inches in the small village of Carthage.

The communities of Redfield in Oswego County and Montague and North Osceola in Lewis County, all on the Tug Hill Plateau, average over 300 inches (760 cm) of snow each winter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tug_Hill_Plateau

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake-effect_snow

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 01:16:19 AM »

Alan.

The tug hill region of NY is 1 of the snowiest places east of the mississippi..

The Tug Hill region is renowned for its excessive snowfall. One interesting architectural feature related to this phenomenon can be found locally in some hunting camps: supplemental, second-floor entry doors. These are located directly above the ground-level front door, and such apertures are used when so much snow has accumulated that the ground-level door can not be accessed. Snow depths commonly reach five feet (one and a half meters) or more, on the level, and vastly deeper amounts are routine. The location of the region in relation to Lake Ontario often creates ideal conditions for lake effect snow. The Tug Hill hamlet of Montague owns the single day New York State record of snowfall with 77 inches (6 feet, 5 inches) (almost 2 meters). Another Tug Hill village, Hooker (in Lewis County) holds the state record for annual snowfall. Hooker also received an extraordinary accumulation of snow in the winter of 1976-77, with a total accumulation of 466.9 inches – approximately 39 feet (almost 12 meters).

On February 10, 2007 the National Weather Service reported that the Town of Parish had received 100 inches (more than 2.5 meters) of snow over a seven day span, while the village of Redfield received 141 inches (more than 3.5 meters) of snow over a ten day span of February 3-February 12, 2007. In 1977 a huge blizzard struck the Tug Hill Plateau and dumped 97 inches in the small village of Carthage.

The communities of Redfield in Oswego County and Montague and North Osceola in Lewis County, all on the Tug Hill Plateau, average over 300 inches (760 cm) of snow each winter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tug_Hill_Plateau

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake-effect_snow

Wow , that is a heck of a lot of snow. Thanks CNYWX for the post.

Alan
Alan

Offline upweather

• Lake Superior snow belt
  • Forecaster
  • record snowfall 315.5" season 99.9"
    • superior region weather
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 10:20:51 PM »
bring on the snow, here is what everyone is talking about up here.. the higher water temps on lake superior. I hope it's a record breaker this year with last year being well under par for snowfall, with the higher amounts of only 208 inches in the copper country west of me here is something I found
According to a study by professors at the University of Minnesota Duluth, Lake Superior may have warmed faster than its surrounding climate.[12] Summer surface temperatures in the lake appeared to have increased about 4.5 Fahrenheit degrees (2.5 Celsius degrees) since 1979, compared with an approximately 2.7 Fahrenheit degree (1.5 Celsius degree) increase in the surrounding average air temperature. The increase in the lake’s surface temperature may be related to the decreasing ice cover. Less winter ice cover allows more solar radiation to penetrate the lake and warm the water. If trends continue Lake Superior, which freezes over completely once every 20 years, could routinely be ice-free by 2040.[13] These warmer temperatures can actually lead to more snow in the lake effect snow belts along the shores of the lake, especially in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
VP2 6153 W/24HR FARS, HEATER,WEATHERLINK IP
CoCoRaHS MI-AG-1 ,CWOP-DW3971 ,
nearby webcam http://www.upadventures.net/webcam.php

Online CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 08:13:30 AM »
Lake Ontario is still on the warm side. Looks like it will be a good lake effect year here too.  =D>

The Tug Hill relies on a mainly west wind off the lake for those enormous amounts of snow.
I'm more on a WNW track and here in Central NY, we can get blasted by the lake too.
Tony

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »

Keep us posted how that dream works out for ya.     :lol:

I hear ya Mark. I live here in Ohio as well and last year stunk! I too recall the Blizzard of 78 here in Ohio (hence my screen name) and I was in high school at the time. I loved it! A week with no school!!!!  :grin:

BTW can anyone tell me how I can create a banner like you have Mark to add to my e-mail signatures, facebook and so on? I'm afraid I'm not real computer savvy when it comes to that stuff!

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 11:26:05 PM »
I grew up in Buffalo.  Blizzard of 77 was the big one for me.  I'll never forget that winter!  I've never seen as much snow since.  I was a volunteer fireman at that time..  Getting to first aid calls was a real challenge.  Fortunately we got the use of a high lift from the gas company and we often had to dig our way in to reach the party needing aid. 

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 01:13:53 AM »
....BTW can anyone tell me how I can create a banner like you have Mark to add to my e-mail signatures, facebook and so on? I'm afraid I'm not real computer savvy when it comes to that stuff!

There are several ways of getting a banner.   I'm using ImageSalsa Weather Edition to create my banner.  It directly uses the data from VWS and my weather station.

Another way would be to use a banner from WeatherForYou or WeatherUnderground.
Mark 

Offline upweather

• Lake Superior snow belt
  • Forecaster
  • record snowfall 315.5" season 99.9"
    • superior region weather
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 06:49:44 PM »
I didn't know if everyone has seen the farmers almanac prediction map? so here is the link to it. It seems slightly different from the accuweather forecast but similar in some ways. http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2010/08/29/2011-winter-outlook-the-wait-is-over/
VP2 6153 W/24HR FARS, HEATER,WEATHERLINK IP
CoCoRaHS MI-AG-1 ,CWOP-DW3971 ,
nearby webcam http://www.upadventures.net/webcam.php

Online CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 02:24:27 PM »
haha The Farmers Almanac declared Syracuse, NY the worst winter city

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2010/09/farmers_almanac_declares_syrac.html
Tony

anything