Author Topic: Alternative upload method other than computer.  (Read 2697 times)

Offline kalenshah

Alternative upload method other than computer.
« on: February 02, 2013, 09:10:53 AM »
My main weather station is a davis vantage vue, which uses weather link IP to upload to weather underground.

I also have a WS-1080 which is not uploading as I do not want to leave my laptop on all the time. I have heard about some sort of plug device that I may be able to connect my WS-1080 to, and then it can upload to weather underground.
But my problem is that I don't know what these devices are called, how they work etc.. Any help (such as links) will be greatly appreciated.
I'm not looking for anything expensive. Something cheap that will do the job, with minimal power usage and without the use of a computer.

Thanks.
WUNDERGROUND ID:IENGLAND406                                                             Live IP

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: Alternative upload method other than computer.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 09:44:48 AM »
Depending on what you call low cost.    There are several versions of these things.   I personally would run the laptop rather than do this but what ever.

http://www.ambientweather.com/weambnslu2.html

I use a cheap netbook for all my wx stuff.    Far more flexable and the power usage is low.

Offline kalenshah

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 12:01:19 PM »
Thanks, do you know of any other similar products like this? I heard about the raspberry pi, but wasn't sure if you can run cumulus or another weather software program on it..
WUNDERGROUND ID:IENGLAND406                                                             Live IP

Offline unbidden

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 02:00:30 PM »
You may be better served looking on a local classified ads website and pick up a used laptop for cheap money. You wouldn't need anything high end to run Cumulus or other software. Here is the U.S. that would be CraigsList. I run my station off of a netbook 24/7.

Offline kalenshah

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 03:00:59 PM »
Thanks, but I do have access to a number of laptops, pcs and desktops. I just want something small, out the way and something I do not have to touch. I've done some more research and i've come across the sheevaplug, but it looks quite complicated. I may just give up.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 03:09:48 PM »
I run all my stuff on a netbook.

It sets on a botton shelf I almost never actually touch it.   I contol it using TEAM VIEWER  from my desktop.

I don't see how any of the other things are any simpler.

Offline kalenshah

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 03:46:19 PM »
Part of it is my dads paranoia of a laptop catching fire when no one is in the house. Peace of mind to him I guess :/

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 04:21:17 PM »
Here is another one

http://www.ambientweather.com/amweatherbridge.html

And unless you unplug the laptop the fire dnger is the same as the power supply is still running and charging the batteries.   

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 04:37:20 PM »
I run all my stuff on a netbook.

It sets on a botton shelf I almost never actually touch it.   I contol it using TEAM VIEWER  from my desktop.

I don't see how any of the other things are any simpler.
+1 on the Netbook.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!