Author Topic: boltek lightning detector not working  (Read 3656 times)

Offline greg

boltek lightning detector not working
« on: September 17, 2013, 05:35:37 PM »
I have the boltek storm tracker with nexstorm lite software. The unit worked fine until it suddenly stopped working about a month ago (it is ~ 2 yrs old). I examined the cable and the antenna that is mounted indoors. There appears to be nothing wrong with them. I tried the lighter test and nothing appears on the nextstorm lite computer display. Any ideas? Thanks.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: boltek lightning detector not working
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:23:33 PM »
Power down the computer, make sure that the PCI card is seated correctly/firmly, cross your fingers, and boot the computer.

If that doesn't work, the next thing is to check the end-to-end antenna+cable continuity. 

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 06:35:47 PM »
Is the antenna warm? Those seem to run warm.

If dalecoy's suggestions don't work, bring the antenna to the computer and try a known good cable.

I have, in the past, had an antenna fail.

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
    • Highlands Ranch Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 09:45:53 PM »
If things still aren't working with the above suggestions, Boltek will test the board for free for you and then give you a price on what it would take to fix it if something is wrong.  All you have to do is pay for shipping to them.  I did this and the board checked out fine.  When it came back to me I found that a cable had come unplugged, plugged the cable back in a worked like a charm.

Offline greg

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 08:44:04 PM »
I have tried the above 3 suggestions by reseating the pc card in another computer and installing a new cable. It still does not work. Do you think the antenna or the pc card is faulty? Thanks.

Greg

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 08:52:56 PM »
I have tried the above 3 suggestions by reseating the pc card in another computer and installing a new cable. It still does not work. Do you think the antenna or the pc card is faulty? Thanks.

Greg

Did you test the new cable?  And make sure it is the same wiring?  And the connections are clean?

Assuming the new cable is good, then most likely it's the PC card that's bad.  But occasionally antennas do fail.

Offline The Fake McCoy

• Benmore Peak Observatory
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 10:20:02 PM »
Assuming the new cable is good, then most likely it's the PC card that's bad.  But occasionally antennas do fail.
They sure do: I've had two antennas fail within three years. The PCB has never missed a beat.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 10:34:01 PM »
I had the creeping green slime attack the RJ45 plug and socket at the antenna.  Take a real bright light and magnifying glasses/lens and look to see if the little fingers on the antenna socket are OK.  There is a LOT of current going up to the antenna, as mentioned enough to make it warm.  That along with outdoors moisture or high humidities did a number on the connection with mine.  Took some time with pointed toothpicks, cotton swabs and DeOxIt cleaner and tuner cleaner, and got back on line.  A small amount of judiciously applied dilectric grease and I've been fine since.  Hope it is that simple for you.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline The Fake McCoy

• Benmore Peak Observatory
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 11:40:24 PM »
I had the creeping green slime attack the RJ45 plug and socket at the antenna.  Take a real bright light and magnifying glasses/lens and look to see if the little fingers on the antenna socket are OK.  There is a LOT of current going up to the antenna, as mentioned enough to make it warm.  That along with outdoors moisture or high humidities did a number on the connection with mine.  Took some time with pointed toothpicks, cotton swabs and DeOxIt cleaner and tuner cleaner, and got back on line.  A small amount of judiciously applied dilectric grease and I've been fine since.  Hope it is that simple for you.

I did take a pretty thorough look at the connections, but it may be worth doing again... If I can resurrect even one of them it'd be useful as an emergency spare.

anything