Author Topic: DarkSky Forecast and METAR-Block not working properly?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline zitterbacke

DarkSky Forecast and METAR-Block not working properly?
« on: February 06, 2019, 04:32:02 AM »
Hello,

maybe somebody can give me some hints or help to get the DarkSky Forecast and METAR-Info working. I did the Meteobridge configuration exactly as described including the 3 cronjobs, entered my DarkSky API Key into the template (have checked for several times that I have inserted the API Key correct) etc.pp but the DarkSky forecast doesn't work at all. I have no idea anymore what I still can do here. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Jens
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:42:51 AM by zitterbacke »

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
Re: DarkSky Forecast and METAR-Block not working
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 04:49:41 AM »
Hello,

maybe somebody can give me some hints or help to get the DarkSky Forecast and METAR-Info working. I did the Meteobridge configuration exactly as described including the 3 cronjobs, entered my DarkSky API Key into the template (have checked for several times that I have inserted the API Key correct) etc.pp but the DarkSky forecast doesn't work at all. I have no idea anymore what I still can do here. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Jens
Do you have the URL to the "template"? Then one take a look what is happening.
It seems you are talking about the weather34 template?
There is also a special topic for that template on this forum https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31507.msg370022;topicseen#msg370022

Wim

Offline zitterbacke

Re: DarkSky Forecast and METAR-Block not working properly?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 06:27:08 AM »
Dear Wim,

Thank you for your swift reply. Let me apologize first for being not precise enough. Yes, the "template" is the weather34 template. The template is currently running on my private Home-Server (Synology based) and not public available. Nevertheless I could PM to you the remote URL for having a look on it, if you don't mind. Please let me know how to further proceed.

BR, Jens
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:43:16 AM by zitterbacke »

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 08:15:31 AM »
Dear Wim,

Thank you for your swift reply. Let me apologize first for being not precise enough. Yes, the "template" is the weather34 template. The template is currently running on my private Home-Server (Synology based) and not public available. Nevertheless I could PM to you the remote URL by for having a look on it, if you don't mind. Please let me know how to further proceed.

BR, Jens
As those two specific blocks do not work, and as both need an API-key, I expect there is a problem with the keys.  Most often made errors:
1. Spaces before or after the API keys, you do not see them so you have to use the arrow key to check carefully
2. Putting the Darksky-key in the Metar-field and the Metar-key in the  Darksky-field.
As all non-key blocks work, there is not more I can think off.
I assume that none of the pop-ups, such as "Nearby metar" work either?
Wim

Offline zitterbacke

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 11:42:28 AM »
Hm, have checked it once again and again. I cannot get it to work. Weather forecast block and METAR block only display the standard values of I think it's Istanbul, Turkey. No clue where the mistake is in here. Everything else works as it should but Weather forecast and METAR block don't. Any other idea where to look or check?
By the way: the pop-ups work in both blocks, but only the values of Istanbul are shown there...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:43:29 AM by zitterbacke »

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 11:52:04 AM »
Hm, have checked it once again and again. I cannot get it to work. Weather forecast block and METAR block only display the standard values of I think it's Istanbul, Turkey. No clue where the mistake is in here. Everything else works as it should but Weather forecast and METAR block don't. Any other idea where to look or check?
By the way: the pop-ups work in both blocks, but only the values of Istanbul are shown there...
That is why support people need access to your site. I understood that is was not working. Now you tell me it displays the wrong location.
Did you ran the station-cron at least once?  .../mbdbdfiles/stationcron.php
Only the station cron will reload the files.
Wim

Offline zitterbacke

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 12:26:16 PM »
OK, you are right. Once again not precise description. Mea culpa. Regarding your question, yes I ran the station-cron. BTW: I moved the template for testing purposes to another server. Here's the link, maybe you can have a look on it?

http://jensilein65.bplaced.net/pws/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:44:23 AM by zitterbacke »

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 01:20:14 PM »
OK, you are right. Once again not precise description. Mea culpa. Regarding your question, yes I ran the station-cron. BTW: I moved the template for testing purposes to another server. Here's the link, maybe you can have a look on it?

http://jensilein65.bplaced.net/pws/
Wel,  when I ran the stationcron.php once: https://jensilein65.bplaced.net/pws/mbdbfiles/stationcron.php
the forecast changed from Feb 3 to Feb 6 and frost temperatures and the airport from istambul to EDDN
So always test with the stationcron using the browser first so that you know for sure it is working.

Now you have to setup the stationcron in your MB and see if the data is updated at your external server.
If so, move the scripts back to your Synology, change MB setting and test again,

Wim

Offline zitterbacke

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 01:20:32 PM »
I found the mistake. It was an issue of file permissions. After having set permissions of all folders/files to 777 everything works fine now.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:43:40 AM by zitterbacke »

Offline zitterbacke

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 03:18:26 AM »
Hi Wim,
Hm, regarding the Metar-Block and DarkSky Forecast-Block I'm asking myself how often these blocks will be updated? I suppose the time in the upper right corner of the block represents the time when the data were updated at last? The time that is currently displayed there is 1:04:49 am although the actual time here at my location is 09:16. When I use the pop-up "Nearby Metar" the latest data are from 00:50 this morning. Same situation on DarkSky Forecast and the pop-up "Hourly forecast". Is that a normal? Would be happy about some clarification on that.

Thanks and regards.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:12:25 AM by zitterbacke »

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 04:16:23 AM »
Hi Wim,
Hm, right now I noticed the following that leads me to the question, how often the Metar-Block and DarkSky Forecast-Block will be updated? I suppose the time in the upper right corner of the block represents the time when the data were updated at last? The time that is currently displayed there is 1:04:49 am although the actual time here at my location is 09:16. When I use the pop-up "Nearby Metar" the latest data are from 00:50 this morning. Same situation on DarkSky Forecast and the pop-up "Hourly forecast". Is that a normal? Would be happy about some clarification on that.

Thanks and regards.
Those files are only updated when the station-cron is run: . . ./pws/mbdbfiles/stationcron.php
Again I checked the files were old as you described.  I ran the stationcron  in the browser https://jensilein65.bplaced.net/pws/mbdbfiles/stationcron.php ,  the data becomes  recent. 

This version of weather34 uses the cron to read all kind of recent data, including the DarkSky forecast and the Metar information. You could  study the code in mbdbfiles/stationcron.php and check yourself.  So you have to set the cronjobs in Meteobridge with the correct interval, stationcron every 5 minutes.
Wim
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:27:43 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline zitterbacke

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 05:16:53 AM »
Hi Wim, Thank you very much, that is an interesting information. Currently I have set the cronjob interval of stationcron to 15 minutes, according to the setup description on Weather34.com. I was absolutely not aware about the fact that this 15 minute intervall setting would cause the data update not working corectly? Or could the problem be that my webhoster doesn't provide cronjob function in the package I use? Is that cronjob function by the webhoster mandatory for the data update to work corectly?

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 05:26:41 AM »
Hi Wim, Thank you very much, that is an interesting information. Currently I have set the cronjob interval of stationcron to 15 minutes, according to the setup description on Weather34.com. I was absolutely not aware about the fact that this 15 minute intervall setting would cause the data update not working corectly?
If you set it at 15 minutes it is OK also. Some data will be slightly older.
Or could the problem be that my webhoster doesn't provide cronjob function in the package I use? Is that cronjob function by the webhoster mandatory for the data update to work corectly?
The meteobridge is your very good working cronserver. You do not need your webhoster.
If you set the Metebridge correctly and the data is still not updated, there is another problem.
Every time you or I manually run the stationcron in the browser,  your outdated files are updated, immediately. The crons should do that also.

Question: Did you use the test button on your Meteobridge Settings tab to check if the files are updated?
Question: Which station cron are you using. There are different ones in different folder in the pws/ folder

Maybe you could make  a screenshot of your Meteobridge setting page
Wim

P.S. When I check the contents of jsondata https://jensilein65.bplaced.net/pws/jsondata/?C=M;O=D  at 11:35:
no files were updated for 25 minutes, latest timestamps of 4 files 11:10
So it seems the 15 minute job did not run correctly
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:36:05 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline zitterbacke

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 05:35:41 AM »
Hi Wim, here is a screenshot of the settings page.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 05:51:53 AM »
Hi Wim, here is a screenshot of the settings page.
Sorry, but I think the links are wrong: you have a typo in the folder name mdbfiles that folder does not exists and give a 404 error
Code: [Select]
https://jensilein65.bplaced.net/pws/mdbfiles/stationcron.phpit should be as in the previous posts  with mbdbfiles which stands for meteobrdige database files (I think  :grin: )
Code: [Select]
https://jensilein65.bplaced.net/pws/mbdbfiles/stationcron.phpchange that and it will run OK.
When it runs OK,  set the time back to 15 minutes and with max 1 "Wiederholung"

Wim
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 06:30:03 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline zitterbacke

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 06:52:05 AM »
Hi Wim, shame on me :lol: Wasn't able to read the manual correctly, obviously. Thanks a lot for your enlightenment and help. :idea: :idea: :idea:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 06:54:01 AM by zitterbacke »

Offline zitterbacke

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 07:40:20 AM »
Hi Wim,
may I ask you another question, although it's not directly related to the problem before. Otherwise I could also open a new topic on that. In the upper right corner of the homeweatherstation site there is an orange symbol showing °F. What does that symbol mean and what sense does it have? I would assume anything about °Fahrenheit? Why is that symbol shown there although I have chosen metric units? Same question for the temperature block. In the upper right corner there is also shown the temperature in °F despite I've chosen metric units. Can I eliminate that?

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 08:42:59 AM »
Hi Wim,
may I ask you another question, although it's not directly related to the problem before. Otherwise I could also open a new topic on that. In the upper right corner of the homeweatherstation site there is an orange symbol showing °F. What does that symbol mean and what sense does it have? I would assume anything about °Fahrenheit? Why is that symbol shown there although I have chosen metric units? Same question for the temperature block. In the upper right corner there is also shown the temperature in °F despite I've chosen metric units. Can I eliminate that?
This is how it is supposed to function, but there are a lot of different versions:
When you, or better a visitor, clicks on the large F all units go to "Imperial" F/inHg/ a.s.o.  The F is then also changed to a C
The visitor can click on the C to go back to your default units.

Wim

Offline zitterbacke

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 10:36:12 AM »
OK, clear for me. However in my version of the template that switching between units doesn‘t work...

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 12:34:41 PM »
OK, clear for me. However in my version of the template that switching between units doesn‘t work...
I tested a bit, and it seems that the "notification" at the top tight, fades away but is stays in front of the button.  It will work when the CSS  the #weather34lightningdialog-notify { top=10px   is changed to   top=40px;

It will always work when there are no notifications.
Just wait until there are none and if it works as desogned, post it in the weather34 topic.
At this moment BrianUnderdown, the author of the scripts, is travelling without a computer. So there is no hurry.
Wim

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 11:14:33 PM »
hello wim

thanks for following up i have updated to reflect amongst some other minor css issues mostly around indoor had one user with a indoor temperature of 28.3c in winter which highlighted the no show of color ..cant imagine how dry the humidity must be.. anyway once again many thanks ..https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation/

im back till sunday then off again house hunting , i do have limited slow internet but risky when trying to upload or edit as the connection often timesout especially if the phone rings ....brian

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:44:20 PM by weather34 »

anything